The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "Drop Pass"

six-0h-four-

The main guilty parties of this horrific maneuver are Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa. I think that it is the most brutal play to watch in the Canucks' arsenal, even when it works.

First of all, when it doesn't work, you look like a complete dope. Second of all it is becoming far too predictable. And finally, you lose all your momentum entering the zone. Even on a power play, it just doesn't seem feasable to me, and is just scarring to watch.

My body literally cringes every time one of the forementioned uses this tactic. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Or am I not alone?

Yeah, everyone figured it out last year, I don't know why we're still doing the same thing, I think we need new coaching everywhere.

AV is showing he's pretty much useless, says the same thing every game, doesn't talk to his players...can't change his gameplan on the fly, actually only has had 1 plan for years... rely on his goalie, the twins and Kes.

Sedins can't coach a team..

I think when it was in place, the point was to rush the puck to center ice, drop it to Henrik, who skates over to Daniel, leaves it for Daniel, and have Daniel try and saucer the pass towards the net for an easy tip in for Burr, who stands at the opposite side of Daniel and just crashes the net. Otherwise, it would be, again, the puck carrier rushing into the zone and instead of dropping it off to someone at the blue line after crossing, drive around the defender and crash the net and hope for a centering pass for an easy tap in...

Now that it's so easy and predictable, it just looks useless... It's still effective but now teams know it's coming so it's useless.

i think pp is the assistant coaches job.

I trick pony, every team in the league knows how the nucks gain the zone on the pp . time to come up with some thing new. also did the nets move it seems like every shot from the point goes wide.

sedins don't seem to working the down low play very often either they just put it to the point.

on another note this team seems like they are never mentally prepared to start the game maybe some pre game changes should be tried to get these guys motivated.

P/P Regardless if the opposition know what's going to happen it still wrong foots them. The opposition must back up at the speed of the first puck carrier ... if they don't he blows passed them. When the drop pass is made the opposition has to react by stopping up and in doing so give up the blue line for a clean entry. It's a good move that just needs to be practised again and again. Another point is it helps the second unit because they rarely use it and the opposition are expecting it.

No problem from me

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

FIRE Newell Brown.

The drop pass stopped working about half way through last season. Everyone knew it was coming. Yet we couldn't change it up. And in the playoffs, Edlers' drop pass inside our own blue line was picked off and allowed the Kings to score and win the game.

Yet here we are doing it again. And every freaking time, I can feel the bile rising!!

Funny thing is that after watching a few games this week, it seems like many teams around the league have copied this little trick and are using it as well.

The drop pass may work the first time but never a second.

This play makes me think of football, what if Travis Lulay never threw the ball and instead chose to pitch it to Andrew Harris on every play? Harris would get keyed in on and shortly become mincemeat.

the drop pass: it's an awful manoeuvre to use in our own half of the rink, and opposing teams are clearly anticipating it, becoming too predictable. but through the first 5 games of the season, the move has been one of our more effective ways of gaining the offensive zone at the opposing team's blue line. there is definitely a time and a place for the drop pass, ie. zone entry.

Archived