The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "Drop Pass"

six-0h-four-

The main guilty parties of this horrific maneuver are Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa. I think that it is the most brutal play to watch in the Canucks' arsenal, even when it works.

First of all, when it doesn't work, you look like a complete dope. Second of all it is becoming far too predictable. And finally, you lose all your momentum entering the zone. Even on a power play, it just doesn't seem feasable to me, and is just scarring to watch.

My body literally cringes every time one of the forementioned uses this tactic. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Or am I not alone?

the drop pass: it's an awful manoeuvre to use in our own half of the rink, and opposing teams are clearly anticipating it, becoming too predictable. but through the first 5 games of the season, the move has been one of our more effective ways of gaining the offensive zone at the opposing team's blue line. there is definitely a time and a place for the drop pass, ie. zone entry.

Drop pass is extremely predictive due to the fact that Canucks have huge issues gaining space and entering the zone, so this is what they rely on for most time... We honestly are missing Kesler and probably Salo's ability to enter the zone (a huge reason our PP is pretty crappy)...

Another issue with the drop pass is the fact that it puts all the defense way out of position meanwhile the opposing team sacrifice a forward which could potentially be out of position if the attempt failed (not a big issue); it also puts the goalie in a extremely difficult position which tends to change momentum when this move fails (happens to be quite often)...

Not surprisingly, I disagree with almost everyone in this thread.

If you happen to watch other teams around the league, several of them have adopted the same strategy. It's an effective way of gaining entry into the opposing zone, however, that doesn't mean that there will be a lack of proper execution from time to time.

Edler's gaffe in last season's playoff was an error of execution, not planning.

In fact, if anyone was paying close attention last night, there was a rush by Edler where he slowed down at center ice, giving the impression that the drop pass was imminent. Instead, he put a crisp pass onto the tape of Daniel, who gained easy access to the zone.

Also those of you who are criticizing Newell Brown, (How soon we forget) you may remember the odd faceoff alignment that the Canucks used on the PP last night. It was hard to miss, because Cheech was obvious in his confusion (and therefore dislike) at the move. What he missed was the fact that the first time it was tried, it worked perfectly. The failed attempt came after one of the innumerable instances of the zebras waving a centerman out of the faceoff.

It's this kind of innovative thinking that make NB good at what he does, despite what some fans who can't get over a year-old play might think.

The main guilty parties of this horrific maneuver are Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa. I think that it is the most brutal play to watch in the Canucks' arsenal, even when it works.

First of all, when it doesn't work, you look like a complete dope. Second of all it is becoming far too predictable. And finally, you lose all your momentum entering the zone. Even on a power play, it just doesn't seem feasable to me, and is just scarring to watch.

My body literally cringes every time one of the forementioned uses this tactic. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Or am I not alone?

It's a fine play when it works (75% of the time, maybe?). It's just so high-risk when it doesn't click. Offensive-zone faceoffs after a penalty were the best thing that ever happened to the Canucks because we've never been great at gaining the zone.

If I was running the PP, I'd say... hmmm... Edler fake the drop, dish to Raymond/Burrows, cross the blueline with speed, buttonhook on the half boards, feed a Sedin. /end

It's a fine play when it works (75% of the time, maybe?). It's just so high-risk when it doesn't click. Offensive-zone faceoffs after a penalty were the best thing that ever happened to the Canucks because we've never been great at gaining the zone.

If I was running the PP, I'd say... hmmm... Edler fake the drop, dish to Raymond/Burrows, cross the blueline with speed, buttonhook on the half boards, feed a Sedin. /end

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

FIRE Newell Brown.

The drop pass stopped working about half way through last season. Everyone knew it was coming. Yet we couldn't change it up. And in the playoffs, Edlers' drop pass inside our own blue line was picked off and allowed the Kings to score and win the game.

Yet here we are doing it again. And every freaking time, I can feel the bile rising!!

Funny thing is that after watching a few games this week, it seems like many teams around the league have copied this little trick and are using it as well.

Just wanted to point out that I saw the drop pass used 4 times last night....

...and it worked 4 times. In fact, on only one occasion were they not able to sustain pressure after entering the Oiler's zone.

It also worked on the one occasion that I saw Edmonton use it...

Archived