The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think there's a coaching problem?

Merci

Where do we draw the line?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's not rubbish.

Why do you think teams have a pre-season? It's not just the number of games it is the timing and the condition both physically and mentally the players are in. That is why so many players went abroad................while we did a bit of recreational skating with the local University.

Well Newsflash........it's not a University team we are playing 4 games in 6 days with traveling in between.

And then we get back to my point on lack of physical presence in our team just now which is bound to be taking it's toll.

It's not rubbish.

Why do you think teams have a pre-season? It's not just the number of games it is the timing and the condition both physically and mentally the players are in. That is why so many players went abroad................while we did a bit of recreational skating with the local University.

Well Newsflash........it's not a University team we are playing 4 games in 6 days with traveling in between.

And then we get back to my point on lack of physical presence in our team just now which is bound to be taking it's toll.

Ha Ha AV is not getting fired there is alot more going on internally than just the Game. Gillis and AV are playing chess. You are playing checkers or nhl 13.

AV backed the team off in the 3rd period because he recognised the King's were destroying us Physically in most of the first and all of the second period. He didn't want the team to blow their wad early like they did against Boston last season. Who cares if we win this game if were so banged up from it, it takes weeks to recover Canucks already have enough injury problems. AV needs to protect his players and just try to make .500 for the next few weeks. It will all make sense when Kes and Booth come back to a team that is jelling and healthy.

There's always an excuse as to why this team failed....fatigue, injuries, travel, other team is really good etc.

Even when this team is dominated or gives up a 2 goal lead they say how they are playing well, need to stick to thei system yada, yada yada yada...I just wish they would acknowledge that they too often SUCK!!

WIthout the most consistent goaltending in the league for the past 3 years, this team woulod not have sniffed the PT and would never have made a deep run in the playoffs.

Considering the talent in the lineup, this is deeply concerning and to me, smells of issues with management/coaching.

I find it interesting that LA was able to adjust to having the Canucks swarm all over them for the 2-0 lead. They made the strategic adjustment, and boom. They not only get a point when they shouldn't have, they get two. Someone explain to me how that's not coaching.

They've made the corrections everywhere else. Picked up players, called up players, switched starting goaltendenders, traded away prospects, etc. There's only one place left to look.

Of course, the last three seasons they started off crape and won the President's Trophy twice. Is that because of or in spite of? Hard to say for sure; one sure way to find out.

Yeah, well this should not be coming up after the boys played a great game, and lost a heart breaker. We should be cheering for everyone tonight.

In reality they made a lot of adjustments and came out strong in comparison to not playing great in San Jose. That game started and finished in the first minute at the face off circle. Lack of having the right personnel was an issue, as we won only 32% of face off's in that game and constantly fought up hill in size match up problems without the puck. Plus, in that game, you had clunkers where Edler coughs up the puck for the 2knd goal. But even then we saw the coach rewarding Ballard and Tanev with TOI which should send Edler a message the turnover is not ok.

I'm happy the hoards are not after Lou, because he let in a goal with 40 seonds left. It was not a softie, it was a double screen seeing eye goal..

Losing in a shootout against the Stanley Cup champs when the team put up a great effort is the wrong time to be calling for the coaches head. Calling for the coaches head when they almost steal a win after having their personnel shortcomings pointed out so strongly by San Jose is when we should be asking if the GM is going to go get the team some help; predominantly at centre ice, but perhaps also in size match ups and at right D!

Thank goodness you were here to point out some things.

I had NO IDEA the Canucks were being unfairly targeted by the schedule makers.

Good call on us being tired because of the gurelling schedule we've had up till this point. I mean we're nearly thru January & only had 3 home games. Damn this unfair schedule, and making us soooo tired.

A- we are 6 games in

B- there are 6 other teams in our conference who have played as many games as we have... a couple even in less games (we played opening night afterall)

C- they arent 55 yrs old I think. 3 games in 4 nights in the 2nd wk of the season shouldnt be TOO demanding, will they be tired by game 3? sure, but they were terrible the game before that too.

Theres probably 20 teams in the NHL that would be pleased to have Weise, Raymond, Schroeder, Ebbett, Lapierre or Malhotra in their bottom 6.

I'll agree we have a lot of fans who are babies... but it doesnt mean they are not right sometimes either. Also, accusing people of being babies, but crying foul that the players are tired... care to be the pot or the kettle?

So 2 players out of the line up, means every player on the roster needs to play 90% (assuming theyw ere all giving 110% already as I so often hear athletes do) harder now? So you are suggesting Kesler and Booth were both resonsible for a 920% each upgrade to our line ups? (90X16 +400 / 2). Hmmm, well, their production might disagree with that. But sure, we are weaker without them,..... not sure we are 1840% weaker however.

As for the question of the coaching. YES, I balem AV for our failings more than any of the players on most given nights. We've watched him get outmatched by the likes of Quenneville, Julien & Sutter over the years. Those were all teams with equal or less talent than us who beat us because our coach mismanaged the roster.

I think AV is a CAPABLE NHL coach, but not a championship coach.... which is what a team with this skill level should have & we dont.

I'm so sick of AV shuffling the lines all the time. They can't even get the chance to develop enough chemistry. The only reason Kassian is scoring is because he's getting some lucky tap-ins and powerplay time. Sometimes he has no idea how to co-ordinate with the Sedins and messes up the cycle. Burrows is simply the best with the Sedins, and although he's doing pretty well on his own now, it's because he's usually the one exception that fits on any line.

As for the rest of the Canucks other than the Sedins, they've always looked completely lost and uncoordinated on the offense. The breakout usually consists of the wing carrying the puck all the way by himself until he runs out of room and is forced to dump while nobody's ready to chase, or takes a bad angle shot from the wing. They never pass sideways at the right time, or move laterally the way the Sedins and other good players do. Usually only the fourth line manages to get a decent cycle going because they know their roles well enough to keep it simple on the cycle. Everyone else seems like they have no idea how to play together and are never a threat on offense unless they get a lucky bounce or odd man rush.

Also, it seems like the coaches have gotten everyone into the idea that the only offense we can run is to get it back to the point and try to shoot with traffic. Most of the time the shot hits something and never reaches the net, or the shot just misses completely. I'm so sick of that. It's as if nobody except the Sedins have ever even thought about trying to pass it cross crease down low. Even if the pass doesn't get through, it's still likely to hit something around the crease causing chaos and the defense to panic and collapse, which usually leads to open men on the offence.

Fatigue doesn't explain the poor starts where they have been dominated consistently. Even the Anaheim game was a brutal first 10 minutes and only Cory kept them in it.

Fatigue later in games is an issue when playing 3 in 4 but it doesn't explain the system break-downs and lack of execution during the first 2/3 of games. It just becomes more evident what the issues are when the team is tired late in the game.

I'm so sick of AV shuffling the lines all the time. They can't even get the chance to develop enough chemistry. The only reason Kassian is scoring is because he's getting some lucky tap-ins and powerplay time. Sometimes he has no idea how to co-ordinate with the Sedins and messes up the cycle. Burrows is simply the best with the Sedins, and although he's doing pretty well on his own now, it's because he's usually the one exception that fits on any line.

As for the rest of the Canucks other than the Sedins, they've always looked completely lost and uncoordinated on the offense. The breakout usually consists of the wing carrying the puck all the way by himself until he runs out of room and is forced to dump while nobody's ready to chase, or takes a bad angle shot from the wing. They never pass sideways at the right time, or move laterally the way the Sedins and other good players do. Usually only the fourth line manages to get a decent cycle going because they know their roles well enough to keep it simple on the cycle. Everyone else seems like they have no idea how to play together and are never a threat on offense unless they get a lucky bounce or odd man rush.

Also, it seems like the coaches have gotten everyone into the idea that the only offense we can run is to get it back to the point and try to shoot with traffic. Most of the time the shot hits something and never reaches the net, or the shot just misses completely. I'm so sick of that. It's as if nobody except the Sedins have ever even thought about trying to pass it cross crease down low. Even if the pass doesn't get through, it's still likely to hit something around the crease causing chaos and the defense to panic and collapse, which usually leads to open men on the offence.

Archived