The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

does alex edler need to play with a european defense partner to succeed?

tas

everybody knows that the european game and the north american game are vastly different, and if you look at edler's career, he's always seemed to thrive while playing with a partner born and developed in europe, be it mattias ohlund, christian ehrhoff or sami salo. likewise, he has seemed to struggle when his normal (euro) partner is injured or otherwise absent.

with jason garrison's arrival and early season struggles to adapt to a "new system" i'm left wondering if perhaps it's a two way street and north american players struggle to learn how to complement edler's game.

it could also be complete coincidence or confirmation bias, but i'll let you guys decide that.

Alex Edler did not play with Mattias Ohlund just saying. There were a couple of games that Ohlund moved over to the right side to play with Edler, but that did not last long since Ohlund was not comfortable on the right.

everybody knows that the european game and the north american game are vastly different, and if you look at edler's career, he's always seemed to thrive while playing with a partner born and developed in europe, be it mattias ohlund, christian ehrhoff or sami salo. likewise, he has seemed to struggle when his normal (euro) partner is injured or otherwise absent.

with jason garrison's arrival and early season struggles to adapt to a "new system" i'm left wondering if perhaps it's a two way street and north american players struggle to learn how to complement edler's game.

it could also be complete coincidence or confirmation bias, but i'll let you guys decide that.

C'mon man! You really think that has an effect? What difference do you think it would make if his partner on the ice was European or North American? If for some odd reason that is the case, then the guy shouldn't be in the NHL, he should go join some european league then

I think that's closer to reality. The entire team has looked out sync at times, and I'll never expect a player, especially a D-man to gel right away. If they're still having chemistry issues at the end of February, I'll start to worry.

Alex Edler did not play with Mattias Ohlund just saying. There were a couple of games that Ohlund moved over to the right side to play with Edler, but that did not last long since Ohlund was not comfortable on the right.

Edler needs a babysitter / terrific hockey player to cover his weak defensive play.

They've tried Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, and now Tanev. Funny how it seems no-one can play with Edler. Salo only worked because he's an incredibly intelligent hockey player.

Salo's 90 in hockey IQ makes Edler's 50 a somewhat doable partnership.

Archived