The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on 1040

Edlerberry

Only could type so fast. "quotes" are 1040 talking.

Played out the way they thought it would

Understandable we're going with the freshest guy who gives us the best chance to win

Confident when Cory is in he'll play well and run with it as long as he can.

Not sure if Roberto is ahead of Cory

Played poorly first game, Cory had nothing to do with it. We gave them layups in San Jose, not his fault.

Historically we went with players who didn't play before, so there is rationale for what is going on

Last year Cory started 6 games in a row - I find it kind of amusing everyone looks at this as an entitlement situation

From the moment he started here, everyone has to earn their keep.

I dont think Cory has any issue with whats going on.

Only increases the competition between them

He's a smart young guy, very mature, not concerned about Cory at all

"thought to the big picture ?" - Both things are at play. Most importantly we have 42 games left this season, we have to win games and get in the playoffs.

There are a tremendous number of games in a short amount of time.

We're gonna go with the goalie gives us the best opportunity to win on any given night.

The way Roberto has played the coaches feel he does now.

"how big of a decision to give Cory the start in playoffs"

Its a combination of coaches/GM. We thought it was our best chance to win the next game. Everyone thinks its starter/vs not starter... but its just a game to game decision

obviously there's a long range plan here that everyone is aware of.

But for now, We're goign to start whoever gives us the best chance to win, and since we have both of them we'll use both

Roberto requested to have us look at options for him, and we did.

"Would i consider trading Cory Schneider" - I would look at trading anybody on our team if it gives us a better chance to win. ANY PLAYER.

"Have teams asked about Cory's availability." GM's aren't as reactionary as [reporters] so they haven't.

Nobody has to be reminded of Luongos credentials or ability

"luongo looks relaxed and and underwent a change from experience" - I think it is - Roberto became a lightning rod here, he showed what a teammate and class professional he is. I think people realized their treatment of him was unfair and they're finally treating him the way he deserves.

Maybe we need 2 goalies so each goalie can be picked on half as much

"how does lack change situation" - it doesn't. if we were to trade roberto, we would get something in return or go out and get a player. We want eddie to get a full season in the AHL. With the injury it obviously sets that back, but thats what we want.

Damien cox on Kesler - I'm not sure where that came from. it may or may not be accurate. We're going to be very careful with Ryan. We need to make sure he's firing on all cylinders. He will tell us when hes ready to play

Dale weise - Hes doing ok. Stiff neck, got jumped, got twisted around. He'll be fine

"You feel like Shane Doan walked away because he felt there was a future in Pheonix?" - Yeah. We had great conversations with Doan, hes a great leader in Pheonix.

How would you characterize your goal tending situation?

Played out the way we thought it would. We're going with the freshest guy. Roberto played well in the last two games and he deserves to start. When Schneider gets to play, I'm sure he'd do the same.

Historically we always go with whoever that hasn't gotten a start the night before.

I find it amusing that everybody looks at it as an entitlement situation. Cory wouldn't have any problems with the situation at all. He knew the situation. That hasn't changed at all. It only increases the competition between them. We're absolutely confident in Cory.

Last year's decision on Cory starting in the playoffs

How do we win the next game.

Roberto requested have us look at options for him and we did.

Would you consider trading Cory Schneider?

I would consider any trades who would make our team better but Cory's a great player and I haven't considered it.

Eddie Lack - Wanted Eddie to play in Chicago and get as much experience as he can get.

Ryan Kesler - He's coming along really well. Has continued to elevate the intensity of his training everyday. He's happy. On Damien Cox reporting 2 weeks on Kesler - Not sure where that would come from, I don't know.

Dale Weise - He has a stiff neck after that fight. He twisted around a bit. He'll be fine.

----

More details by gushybear:

Only could type so fast. "quotes" are 1040 talking.

Played out the way they thought it would

Understandable we're going with the freshest guy who gives us the best chance to win

Confident when Cory is in he'll play well and run with it as long as he can.

Not sure if Roberto is ahead of Cory

Played poorly first game, Cory had nothing to do with it. We gave them layups in San Jose, not his fault.

Historically we went with players who didn't play before, so there is rationale for what is going on

Last year Cory started 6 games in a row - I find it kind of amusing everyone looks at this as an entitlement situation

From the moment he started here, everyone has to earn their keep.

I dont think Cory has any issue with whats going on.

Only increases the competition between them

He's a smart young guy, very mature, not concerned about Cory at all

"thought to the big picture ?" - Both things are at play. Most importantly we have 42 games left this season, we have to win games and get in the playoffs.

There are a tremendous number of games in a short amount of time.

We're gonna go with the goalie gives us the best opportunity to win on any given night.

The way Roberto has played the coaches feel he does now.

"how big of a decision to give Cory the start in playoffs"

Its a combination of coaches/GM. We thought it was our best chance to win the next game. Everyone thinks its starter/vs not starter... but its just a game to game decision

obviously there's a long range plan here that everyone is aware of.

But for now, We're goign to start whoever gives us the best chance to win, and since we have both of them we'll use both

Roberto requested to have us look at options for him, and we did.

"Would i consider trading Cory Schneider" - I would look at trading anybody on our team if it gives us a better chance to win. ANY PLAYER.

"Have teams asked about Cory's availability." GM's aren't as reactionary as [reporters] so they haven't.

Nobody has to be reminded of Luongos credentials or ability

"luongo looks relaxed and and underwent a change from experience" - I think it is - Roberto became a lightning rod here, he showed what a teammate and class professional he is. I think people realized their treatment of him was unfair and they're finally treating him the way he deserves.

Maybe we need 2 goalies so each goalie can be picked on half as much

"how does lack change situation" - it doesn't. if we were to trade roberto, we would get something in return or go out and get a player. We want eddie to get a full season in the AHL. With the injury it obviously sets that back, but thats what we want.

Damien cox on Kesler - I'm not sure where that came from. it may or may not be accurate. We're going to be very careful with Ryan. We need to make sure he's firing on all cylinders. He will tell us when hes ready to play

Dale weise - Hes doing ok. Stiff neck, got jumped, got twisted around. He'll be fine

"You feel like Shane Doan walked away because he felt there was a future in Pheonix?" - Yeah. We had great conversations with Doan, hes a great leader in Pheonix.

Well I think it is fairly obvious that MG will hear all trade offers on both goalies. Frankly, I would be more than happy to trade Schneids if we get a ridiculous return for him. Remember, trading Schneids means we can look at offers from any team. Maybe WPG for Kane? Hehehe. This is getting exciting boys and girls!

Quote of the year?

I'm glad MG is the GM and not some genius fans on this site. He is patient and isn't going to overreact because of 6 games at the start of a season as odd as this one. Unlike some Canucks fans.... Garrison SUCKS!! Trade him now!!! Get WEBER!! Like those are logical choices....

"I would consider any trades who would make our team better but Cory's a great player and I haven't considered it."

And

"Obviously there's a long range plan here that everyone is aware of."

Looks like Lu's here for a good time, not a long time...

If you think about him, the possibility of trading Schneider opens way more options for a deal, becuase of the NTC and its a very solid contract.

Schneider is going to get some better offers, but we will have to see if any gm's make offers for him.

contracts aside Luongo right now gives you the better trade value

he is established as an elite number 1 starting goalie

Schneider still needs to be left in the net to know what it means to be a starter give him 15-20 games in a row not this season obviously but next season if he is indeed the future of the Canucks goal tending

seems Gillis really went out of his way to defend Cory

Archived