The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to wear Millionaires V

Strombone1

I hope not, the stick in rink logo is the most boring logo ever. "Oh wow, there's a hockey stick and a rink as the logo for a hockey team, cool!"

Never understood the appeal of that. It's not intimidating or saying anything, it's just a super basic picture of a couple of hockey related items. Yawn

First of all, I hate how logos have to be 'intimidating'. Nobody in their right mind is legitimately scared of the logo on an opposing player's chest. Who do you think would win between the panthers and penguins? Obviously the panthers, because even though they have a worse team, panthers are scarier than penguins!

The Stick-In-Rink logo has all the makings to be a classic. Practically every classic logo has a simple design that (updated when necessary, as the stick-in-rink has been) has staying power. The stick-in-rink has that. A stick in a rink forming a 'C'. Its all you need. It has weight behind it. You could say that the Montreals 'CH' or Boston's 'B' are even more boring. But they're not. The stick is a logo you can build an identity around. The stick logo also actually looks good on merchandise.

The Orca logo, on the otherhand, is a mess. First of all, it doesn't even look like a hockey logo. If you think the stick-in-rink is too simple, than the Orca is ridiculously overcomplicated. A killer whale, breaking out of ice in a shape of a 'C', with 'VANCOUVER' arched over top of it, in the haida art style. It doesn't look good. Especially with such an overdesigned logo on such simple jerseys. It has too many borders, and the orca is clearly trying to convey a sense of speed and aggression, but the fact that its in a 'C' completely throws off the equilibrium and makes it look weird. There is no green, which is extremely prominent on the Canucks jerseys, but adds a dark, almost black navy blue that's nowhere to be found. It looks like the Orca was copypasted onto the old jerseys, which it pretty much was.

Also, an Orca is not a Canuck. Now I know BC has Orcas and a Stick-In-Rink forming a 'C' isn't technically a Canuck either, but it just seems weird to me to have an animal on the chest that has nothing to do with the team name. There are lots of pigeons in New York, so the Islanders should have a pigeon logo on their jersey.

The Houston Texans can pull it off.

The Buffalo Sabres and Bills can pull it off.

The Canucks don't.

The Orca would be fine as a shoulder patch, but it just isn't primary logo material. Still, as long as we keep the blue and green colour scheme I'm fine.

Archived