The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins look to snap rare streak

bure's triple deke

Dude, stop with the BS about fans turning on their players. You do realize that we have NOT win the Cup, right? We have the best goalie in the entire league. In fact, two great goalies. We have some strong defense. But time and time again, our offense (with and without Kesler) continue to fail us. Anyone who plays hockey knows that our forwards need to score A LOT more and be more consistent.

A couple of things.

Anyone who knows hockey knows that some of our key players are out of the line up, putting the Sedins even more on the radar than they already were. Teams don't have to worry about a second line so they can put their full attention on the first. It changes the dynamics. I equate to when Geroy Simon was our go to receiver and he was always double/triple teamed...when we got other players who also had talent and could catch the ball, teams had to account for that and suddenly Geroy became open a little more. Sure, football's different in that the offense is out there all at once vs in "lines", but when your key players don't have that attention divided amongst others, they are affected as the focus is solely placed on them. That's a small part.

Plus, they're human. Anyone who watches hockey (and this team) can cut them a little slack for not starting on a tear. When they're lighting it up again, I'll be sure to come back here. Why are our fans so quick to turn? It's like a bi-polar love/hate thing. Take an overall analysis instead of minute by minute. We're early in and, despite the urgency in a short season, they have full capability (and my confidence) that they won't stay off the scoresheet for long.

Last night they also threw out hits...fans complain that they're too soft, but I feel this team's changing and addressing that part of things. Is that their role? Absolutely not, but they are also pushing back so others won't be so quick to push them around. Come playoffs, that message will be a little stronger if they've been sending it all along. Not that they always didn't, but can't have your cake and eat it too - as they pushback, their game is changing.

To the person stating that Zack is responsible for his own success - to some degree, for sure. But have you not noticed him in front of the net as well...he can go park himself there because the Sedins are drawing everyone to the outside/boards and, at least a few times, he was pretty much unbothered there. Their roles can go beyond simply being the ones scoring...they still command the attention that frees up others.

Other teams DO figure things out and, with that and as the Sedins do age, do you not consider that a new gameplan has to be devised? One that has them draw the attention away (as suggested earlier) so others can do some of the scoring. That's their selflessness...that they don't have the egos that say "I have to be the one". They are such professionals that they appear willing to pass the torch gradually, so others can step up. That, in itself, is a plus. But they ain't washed up has beens yet. So I think this is just an easing in transitional thing as we do have to tweak things a bit as players age and teams figure them out.

Love them. And Lu. But I'm one who considers the human element and that players can't be "on" all the time...doesn't mean we toss 'em at the first sign. You allow to work through it - to figure it out. There's a reason we've come "this close" to winning it all...and these players are some of the main players in that.

Malkin has 8 Points in 7 Games... Giroux has 4 points in 8 games... Kovalchuk has 5 points in 6 games... Kessel has 4 points in 7 Games... Other than Stamkos 14 points in 7 games, 4 of the top 5 scorers from last season (didn't include Spezza since he is injured) are not exactly lighting it up this year. Relax, its early, they had no real training camp they will pick it up

about predictability: no player ever has an unlimitted number of new moves that the opposition doesn't know about. guess what, it's always the same (pass to someone, deke someone, protect the puck and pass to x, etc).

they key with a dominant player is that they can do it even though the opposition knows they might do it.

the sedins have been dominant the last few years for sure. they still have it, you can see it in some of their play. but they are are a bit off right now.

just chill... might take them 20 games to come around. They are probably healthier and rustier than they have been in a long time... bodes well for the playoffs. And if they only become point a game players or just below that, so what, still first line threats for sure. they were never going to lead the league in points 5 or 10 years in a row...

Archived