The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comprehensive list of trade destinations for Luongo.

Orlov is someone I haven't really paid much attention to. By the looks of it, his game seems good and probably still "adjusting" to NA. I'm personally not very fond of Russian d-men for some reason. Mostly because of the offensive side they all have to their game and thus the lack of reliable defense at times. Some exceptions amongst them, but this is my general opinion.

If the package is right, the Orlov would be a welcome addition never the less.

I doubt John Carlson is available for just about any price, but a deal with WAS should definitely include him. Even if he is an offensive d-man as well, there is where I'd put my money. Carlson, Cam Fowler, Victor Hedman, Adam Larsson are to me the most intriguing and promising d-men out there worth targeting. Lots of other good defensemen I didn't mention, but these are in my opinion franchise players.

THAT package gets me excited!

Even better; Washington has depth where both MoJo and Green might not be missed...

IMO I think Gillis should strongly target a package of Mike Green+. He would be exactly what our powerplay needs right now. Maybe Green, MoJo and Holtby for Luongo and Raymond?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Johansson - Schroeder - Higgins

Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Hamhuis - Green

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Bieksa

Schneider

Holtby

Then when Lack is healthy Holtby can be dealt for some extra depth.

Chicago has been rumoured to be shopping Sharp to the Habs. Although Crawfords play and division rivalries make this trade seem unlikely, they do seem to be willing to pay for a cup now.

Edmonton has the pieces to trade away and still be a contender with Lu. With the new building in place, the owners seem to have no problem with finances and getting Lu could only help them. I could only imagine Lu's NTC to stand in the way of a deal there.

Florida doesn't want to trade Bjugstad. They don't have any other pieces that are fair cap valued for trade and I don't see us trading Lu for rental players. Make no mistake, if Bjugstad was an option, there would be no Luongo Trade thread because he would have been gone.

There is lots of big name players that are rumoured to e on the block such as Kessel and Perry and Getzlaf, but something MG said has always stuck with me. ``There is a Luongo trade in the works involving a player no one would expect``. I have never seen MG play mind games with the media. For example: He said he was fighting for AV to stay during AV`s contract negotiations - AV stays.

He also said he wanted a star player for Lu. So it got me thinking, what players could be speculated on that could be traded for Lu or for Lu + something that no one would expect?

Purely speculative of course and at times outrageous, but lots of fun to think about:

Ovechkin - The Caps need Luongo and Ovey isn't producing. A trade to Van keeps Ovey out of their conference and even with Lu's big contract, they are freeing up millions in cap space. The Caps could also request a big player in the 4-5 million range to be thrown in with Lu.

Crosby - Although a franchise player who is producing well, he sits on a second line on an american team when he shows so much love for Canada. His interviews when playing in Canadian teams show how much he prefers playing in front of a Canadian fan base where he would be appreciated alot more then down south. How many of us thought Gretzky wanted out of Edmonton? Of course there is no way in hell Pittsburgh would want to trade Crosby unless he was forcing their hand.

Iginla - Rumoured to want to play for a contender for a couple of years before retiring in Calgary. He is UFA soon and with Kipper playing like he has, I am sure Van has been considered as a trade destination. Even though he would be a rental as Iginla stated he wanted to spend his last year or two with the flames.

Hemsky - He is getting out shadowed by the younger talent on his team and may be interested in playing elsewhere. Not too mention the fact that Edmonton could really benefit from Lu. But it seems like this deal would have been done already if it was a possibility.

Duchene - Star player on a team that could use Lu, and he would benefit us, but I don't know if he wants to come here to be a 3rd liner and speacial teams player.

Ladd - Winnipeg could deffinately benefit from Lu's leadership right now and for the foreseeable future. If he was willing to waive his NTC to go there (yeah right) Ladd would be an immediate upgrade for us that could put us back into the heavy contender status. You could easily add Kane, Wheeler, or Byfuglien to this list.

Chicago has been rumoured to be shopping Sharp to the Habs. Although Crawfords play and division rivalries make this trade seem unlikely, they do seem to be willing to pay for a cup now.

He also said he wanted a star player for Lu. So it got me thinking, what players could be speculated on that could be traded for Lu or for Lu + something that no one would expect?

Purely speculative of course and at times outrageous, but lots of fun to think about:

I have never quoted myself before, is that allowed?

2 points. First, I am going to hop back over to the Chicago boards to see the source for them wanting to trade Sharp. I will post it for you when I get it.

2nd before I post the ridonkulous list of players that would be fun to speculate on, I said it was outrageous and speculative based soley on Players that we would never expect. So you giving reasons why we wouldn't get those players is kind of supporting my statement. It was just for fun because of MG's quote. And Dubnyk is hardly in the same league as Luongo.

I agree about Dubnyk, but I think he's pretty good and will fit well with the growing Edmonton group. Curious how the rumour got going about Sharp though, or what they're thinking as to why they'd trade anyone when they could use center depth but are performing well currently.

And it may be a bit weird to quote yourself (better to quote the person you're replying to) but not that big a deal.

Nevermind I looked up where I heard the Sharp trade to Habs rumour. It was from Hockeyy Insiderr so not reliable. LOL he also just tweeted

Caps #Canucks trade talks. #CONFIRMED by Vancouver source WSH inquired about Luongo availability #WOW Full story here http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/vancouver-canucks/could-luongo-be-dc-bound-capscanucks-trade-talks/ …

Names mentioned by #Canucks as possible return for Luongo: pick+Neuvirth+ 1 of following: Brouwer/Kuznetsov/Green/Alzner/Forsberg. #Caps

Nevermind I looked up where I heard the Sharp trade to Habs rumour. It was from Hockeyy Insiderr so not reliable. LOL he also just tweeted

Caps #Canucks trade talks. #CONFIRMED by Vancouver source WSH inquired about Luongo availability #WOW Full story here http://www.insiderru...talks/ …

Names mentioned by #Canucks as possible return for Luongo: pick+Neuvirth+ 1 of following: Brouwer/Kuznetsov/Green/Alzner/Forsberg. #Caps

Caps #Canucks trade talks. #CONFIRMED by Vancouver source WSH inquired about Luongo availability #WOW Full story here http://www.insiderru...talks/ …

I don't think I'd go that far (keeping Ballard that is, mostly due to his salary for what he brings, but also that he's getting the easiest minutes in order to succeed) and I think we do have to find at least one $4M+ contract to move on top of Luongo assuming we get cap hit back as Gillis wants a roster player. We can move Ballard for (obviously less) futures instead and combine that with what we get for Luongo.

Bieksa's a no for sure since he's our top RH D-man, and we just picked up Garrison so that seems unlikely as well.

Archived