The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why so many arm chair GMs not be happy with 2 staright Pres. Cups

harpdog

Because this team's gone 40+ years with no Stanley Cup, and anything less will always be a disappointment.

But its more than that. Fans who've started following the Canucks in the past five years or so are used to the Canucks winning, sweeping through the regular season. It's not that Vancouver fans are fickle.... this culture hasn't always existed here.

I started following the Canucks at the beginning of the WCE era, when it wasn't even certain that the Canucks would make the playoffs. I remember in 2002 when the Canucks went up 2-0 on Detroit in the first round and it was a HUGE deal, because we weren't used to winning. I was only around for the tail end of the Messier years, but those were some brutal times.

I think in a way, though, the fan base was much better during those years. Because if you stuck around the Canucks even while they were doing so terribly, you had to be passionate about the game, unlike the recent rash of casual fans that only pay attention when the team wins.

Weel, a team that can just barely make the playoff will probably not be good enough to win the Cup anyway. Unless they get really lucky like LA at the trade deadline. Corey is not good enough to carry this team all the way either. This team is good enough to win a Cup and win a Pres. Cup. They are better now than 2 years ago too.

After going to the Cup finals and losing in game 7... it's winning the cup or bust.

Prez trophy is nice but basically meaningless if you get eliminated in the playoffs.

And I'm sure that's the goal, but it isn't as easy as you've presented. Going to a game 7 SCF is grueling and, as you may/may not be aware, some of our players sustained and played through injuries. That you cannot prevent - it's part of the game. So look at the big picture, not just the "I won't settle for anything but...". Fans with a sense of entitlement miss of lot of good hockey along the way and, while I agree that the ultimate goal is the cup, don't discount so easily the fact that these guys have managed to stay atop the league. Give credit where it's due or you likely don't deserve to celebrate the cup when we do get it.

i remember the dark days. always being told he's the "goalie of the future " for this franchise, one of them is as horrible a commentator as he was a net minder. the revolving door, goalie graveyard. i remember and all though i didn't like nonis as the gm he brought in a guy that has stopped all that. now we talk about trading a franchise goaltender in hopes that his younger predecessor can come close to his achievements.... only in vancouver would a guy thats second among active goaltender in so many stats be even consider a trade target. Only in vancouver does the goaltender get blamed when the team doesn't score or the defense coughs up the puck.MG should make sure he knows what's coming down the pipe because is cory turns into a hursch or weeks or one of the many others then AV and MG will be done.and rightfully so.

What has Schneider really done. He hasn't done diddly in the playoffs yet. Luongo has been carrying him for the last 2 years. Your best defensive player in Kesler is injured. I am just saying that the Team as it is with a couple of minor trade dead line addtions that do not change the line up and you have 3 of the best lines in hockey. Your 4th line is a PP defence and shut down line. Adding another 3rd or 4th line player make the canucks lose some one like Higgins or Booth and they are plus players that are not a defensive liability.

Canucks fans have so little faith. This team has been building for the Cup for 4 years now and all of a sudden you want to tear it apart because of some injuries and bad luck> Fickle is a mild word.

Forget last year or the year before, this is now or as a smart guy in this forum said "If you are only cheering for the cup, then your are not a fan but a bandwagoner."

True fans cheer for their team win lose or shoot out.

Canadians play hockey to win the Stanley Cup. Maybe if they changed the name to Prime Ministers trophy, someone might care. Until then, its the prize they give to the ugly girl at the beauty contest. The Canucks are Ms Congeniality 2 yrs running.

You ever hear a kid playing road hockey go "10 seconds left, Crosby on a breakaway to win the presidents trophy, he scvores!!!"

I have loved watching the canucks dominate the reg season for the last few years as much as anyone but any true hockey fan knows that the real season starts in the playoffs, that's when the Canadian players get up and go and do what it takes to win the ultimate prize.

We don't need no stinking Presidents Trophy,it doesn't mean a gawdammd thing. We need more canucks on the Canucks.

That's the third time you have dumped on Schneider in just this one thread. I think it's safe to say you came here with an agenda (joined Jan 31). I'm sure you enjoy watching hockey, but do you really think you know better than the management and coaching staff of the team?

Schneids upside is unlimited, and he's shown what he can do. So he sucked for 1 game, funny how nobody mentions how bad the team in front of him played. He was bad in Anaheim, got his revenge. The team no showed against the Sharks, wasn't Schneids fault Lu would have got lit up too.

And I'm sure that's the goal, but it isn't as easy as you've presented. Going to a game 7 SCF is grueling and, as you may/may not be aware, some of our players sustained and played through injuries. That you cannot prevent - it's part of the game. So look at the big picture, not just the "I won't settle for anything but...". Fans with a sense of entitlement miss of lot of good hockey along the way and, while I agree that the ultimate goal is the cup, don't discount so easily the fact that these guys have managed to stay atop the league. Give credit where it's due or you likely don't deserve to celebrate the cup when we do get it.

I remember when Linden joined the Canucks, the regular season had so much more passion, more excitement, then Bure came along and again I must say those were soem enjoyable years watching the Canucks.

Messier era was rough and not fun to be a fan, but I have basically watched most games since the late eighties and if your a Canucks fan, or have been one for what over 20+ years like me then how can you not appreciate the two consecutive Presidents Trophies ?

Two consecutive Presidents Trophies is awesome, to play 82 game seasons and come out above the other teams is nothing to laugh at or look at with negativity because a Stanley Cup was not won. So many things have to happen for a team to win a Stanley Cup, too many variables and luck involved to honestly say the " best " team won everytime a Stanley Cup was awarded.

I am a huge fan of the Canucks, I enjoy the games win or lose, the team is a contender year in and year out, I can't complain. The Cup will be won, one day.......going to be sweet!

I remember when Linden joined the Canucks, the regular season had so much more passion, more excitement, then Bure came along and again I must say those were soem enjoyable years watching the Canucks.

Messier era was rough and not fun to be a fan, but I have basically watched most games since the late eighties and if your a Canucks fan, or have been one for what over 20+ years like me then how can you not appreciate the two consecutive Presidents Trophies ?

Two consecutive Presidents Trophies is awesome, to play 82 game seasons and come out above the other teams is nothing to laugh at or look at with negativity because a Stanley Cup was not won. So many things have to happen for a team to win a Stanley Cup, too many variables and luck involved to honestly say the " best " team won everytime a Stanley Cup was awarded.

I am a huge fan of the Canucks, I enjoy the games win or lose, the team is a contender year in and year out, I can't complain. The Cup will be won, one day.......going to be sweet!

Schneids upside is unlimited, and he's shown what he can do. So he sucked for 1 game, funny how nobody mentions how bad the team in front of him played. He was bad in Anaheim, got his revenge. The team no showed against the Sharks, wasn't Schneids fault Lu would have got lit up too.

When the Islanders kept winning Presidents Trophies, but kept getting eliminated in the playoffs. The GM decided that if his team was good enough to make the playoffs, he just had to make a team built for the playoffs. They went on to win 4 Stanley Cups in a row.

This is what Mike Gillis has to get in his head. Stop bringing in these players from Florida and Toronto. They never make the playoffs for a reason. Bring is some players who have actually won something and who actually can play playoff hockey.

Yes, yes. It could be worse. It could also be better. The natural inclination is to want more. You win a NW championship? Cool. Take it up a notch. You win a president's cup? Dandy. Now go get me the cup.

I'm pleased as punch they won the prez cup back to back. It's a great accomplishment. But I would be lying if I said that that was enough. I would trade every NW championship, every prez cup, every personal award, record, etc to win one Stanley Cup championship. It is the ultimate prize. It's the one we all dream of.

In my mind the real question is, why are so many people satisfied with anything but the Stanley Cup? Why do so many believe that a suggestion that there is room for improvement is equal to "armchair gm", or "hating", or "bashing" or my personal favorite "bandwagoning"? Instead of patting ourselves on the back for almost, instead of resting on laurels why don't we demand more? We can proud of what they did yesterday while expecting more from them today. I think that's acceptable.

Archived