The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Potential Deadline Deal - Vancouver & Columbus

To Vancouver: Vinny Prospal, Jared Boll

To Columbus: 2nd round pick 2013, 4th round pick 2013, Dale Weise

Gives the Canucks one more winger, giving them amazing depth for a playoff run.

Prospal has put 30+ assists 8 times, including a 40+ assists 3 times. Making him a good playmaker for whatever the Kesler line is. He has 31 points/50 playoff games since the year 2000. He's an UFA-to-be so he's a rental, and even though GMMG doesn't like doing that, this year it might be necessary considering the cap is likely to go down. He can also play center when necessary, which the Canucks could use if there's an injury down the middle in the post-season, as with Malhotra out they are stretched thin.

Boll is an upgrade on Weise, as he's tougher, bigger and throws 2+ hits per game and he hits hard. He's good for 10-15 points, just like Weise but he's more likely to be wearing down the other team. As we know about Gillis, he likes character guys:

“Jared is a hard-working, honest player who gives everything he has every time he steps on the ice,” said Howson. “He has also been a great ambassador in our community and we are happy that he will continue to be a Blue Jacket.”

Why do we want oldies at the expense of quality draft picks? We don't need another fighter. We want to avoid penalties, not earn them.

Also, Prospal won't last long, so it's only a burden having him, since it takes time for newly-acquired players to adapt to Canucks style of playing.

Not at all :emot-parrot:

In terms of your proposal, I like the fact that we get rid of a punching bag and bring in a LEGIT established fighter.

However, not a fan of Prospal. Old and soft and we don't have the room. But he has put up some very respectable numbers (55 points last year) on a horrendous team. A very good cap hit of 2.5 million as well.

Why do we want oldies at the expense of quality draft picks? We don't need another fighter. We want to avoid penalties, not earn them.

Also, Prospal won't last long, so it's only a burden having him, since it takes time for newly-acquired players to adapt to Canucks style of playing.

Not at all :emot-parrot:

In terms of your proposal, I like the fact that we get rid of a punching bag and bring in a LEGIT established fighter.

However, not a fan of Prospal. Old and soft and we don't have the room. But he has put up some very respectable numbers (55 points last year) on a horrendous team. A very good cap hit of 2.5 million as well.

Fair enough. IMO Prospal isn't quite Raymond-soft and playing with two bigger bodies, who aren't afraid of the dirty areas in Kesler & Booth would give him the opportunity to focus on creating offense. It also might be one of his last chances to win the cup, which might be another boost to his play.

Plus, because of his ability to play center, he could run the 2nd PP unit if Schroeder isn't able to continue his good play. Booth - Prospal - _______.

I see your point though.

If we didn't have an over abundance of forwards I would not be totally against acquiring him.

But as it stands, when Booth comes back, we are faced with issues like sending Schroeder down or playing guys like Higgins, Hansen or Kassian on the 4th line.

I posted this in the "Toughness proves to be a winning formula" thread but I stand by it so ill put it here to

I don't understand all the Volpatti hate, he's a pretty respectable 4th line guy. Throws a couple good hits a game, skates and checks well and fights when needed. And does a pretty respectable job. Obviously Gillis believes in him since he didn't waive him down to the wolves through the lockout because of fear of being claimed.

Half the 4th liners and grinders CDC ends up drooling over are guys that have only had 1 successful year in the role and then usually regressed by the next season, it's hard to always make a positive impact in that amount of ice time. And the guys that can do it year to year, your Shawn Thorntons, Brad Mays, Travis Moens, and Chris Neil's are always paid twice as much as the rest and are almost never on the trade block.

Another note I'd like to add, once you trade for a Jared Boll or whoever you're targeting (and I do like Boll don't get me wrong) there's no guarantee they're going to come over to a new team and succeed. (Coltan Orr last year)Especially if they're leaving the first team they've ever played for. When you leave behind those connections and comfort ability it can make it very difficult to perform your role well. Especially coming to a hockey hotbed like Vancouver

This, for one thing. We have a lot of depth in top 9 forwards and if all we're giving up is Weise then we aren't really giving Boll and Prospal much room to fit into the lineup.

There's also the issue of cap, where Boll alone makes $400K more than Weise, then we're also adding Prospal's $2.5M to the mix. I guess we'd have to drop other players (like you've done with Volpatti and Ebbett, who would likely go down when Booth comes back) to fit people into the roster anyway, but even if we put Manny on LTI it wouldn't cover bringing in $2.9M in extra cap hit unless we drop enough cap as well.

That's dropping some players who have been pretty good for us, and not really a part of any issues that have been a reason for us to lose games, and we make the move by giving up two draft picks in a decent draft as well. I think there are better options out there for us if we wanted to make this kind of move.

Archived