The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Schneider for Campbell is much more valuable to Florida than Luongo for Campbell since Schneider fits the rebuilding process whereas Luongo doesn't; he's a win now goaltender and nowhere does he fit better than in Vancouver. He is trained to deal with the fanatical fan base and media. No other goaltender has been able to support such scrutiny.

Well I've yet to be proven wrong on the "core" of my positions. (I have been trounced on a few trade proposals :rolleyes: )

Yes, I remain in a camp where I called Kassian an incomplete trade. No, I'm not in any camp that calls him a bust either. And I do agree his potential is to fill a vastly important hole (RW, physical forward, potential scorer, has speed also so no liability). I like Kassian! But he has yet to fill a significant role, where CoHo would at this moment if he were here. A large number of CDC'ers, your self included in my opinion stomped on Cody, and he is proving that was mis-guided. But I can also be happy with trade moving forward?

AV has to start, IMO, playing more than just Burrows with the Twins. Do they play better with him? Sure! But our best two play makers (Danny & Hank) are on one line & in fact Burrows after years with them is our 3rd best passing forward; so its no surprise our depth scoring is questionable? Nobody to feed snipers on lower lines! I like to point to the fact that we got the value we wanted out of kass when he line up with the Twins. And Burrows also elevated the play of the second line and we had 4 lines going, even without Kesler. Now we have two (Raymond/Hanson/Higgins the other). Kassian has showed that when guys have structure, and feed him puck he knows what to do. We have to play Kassian with the Twins more!

It could also teach him to be more effective when he plays on other lines, and bring up his confidence. He was good when he was there!

Or; GMMG has to make a trade! Booth and Kassian also look good together. But as revered as his passing has been on CDC, Kassian does not have the slick puck possession skills, just the quick pass. Him and Booth could do wonders with a play making puck possession centre. It does no good acquiring guys (like Booth & Kassian, note on Garrison inclusive momentarily) without placing them with the right complimentary players?

I suppose you could argue either Schroeder will become that, or 09/10 Kesler who had 50 assists will re-surface? Well it has not. So I am growing impatient! And note, a rental 3rd line C to spell Schroeder from too much responsibility is my solution as I believe Schroeder can become this, but this year its too soon; and we owe it to ourselves if we have cup ambitions.

No, I am not in a camp that has EVER questioned Garrison's signing. Outstanding asset. We NEED a 220 lb athletic stay at home defenceman. If we never see the bomb he has, I still might be fine with his acquisition! I actually bought in to it more heavily this past off season, specifically reading your posts which quoted his minutes on the right side; both on the PP with Campbell, but also in general. But; it still leaves us with 4 Top 4 left D. And all, including Garrison have yet to show they can shift to the right effectively for us. So, it's another incomplete move. I could be happy with it, if we acquired the right side D we still need!

I quite like your proposals including Petrovic! Fills exactly a hole we need filled. If it comes with a 3C and Ballard and Lou go back; awesome! Green would be better? Carlson even better as younger and cheaper, but less likely for that reason. And that they have Carlson, if they gave up Green's salary they still have their right shooting puck moving D. In short, he's expendable, and shedding his salary makes Lou actually a money saver which saves their bacon. Rhetoric aside, we can quote GM's who say they won't take on contracts as Wash is currently doing. But Burke said the same thing, and it's widely reported it was going to happen anyway. Its called posturing. Green and MoJo for Lou and Ballard makes sense to me? Anyway, I would be happy as long as we make such a move.

Petrovic proposals aside; you post we are fine on D as we currently are? (honest question) I say we have to make a move!

And I suggest also a rental RW for depth in an alternate trade. Or also swap a LW for a RW in a hockey trade (such as the MTL/Dallas trade a week or so back.

Stirring the pot with a surfer revision - another name for...

I think you're just craving Cody.

What exactly was your solution to the right side surfer? Guys like Weber and Pietrangelo cost an orchard to acquire. If Gudbranson or Calsson were possible, I'd bet MG would have been all over that a long time ago. Are you in the Garrison was a mistake camp? Are you short-terming at the moment because Bieksa is injured?

You might have noticed the proposals I make, since you evidently obsess over tracking my every word, misrepresenting them, and making odd, random references to my posts, repeatedly, through numerous indirect comments in various threads. It's almost a little creepy tbh.

I've been proposing acquiring Petrovic since before last year's draft - and virtually every proposal I have made has involved centers and r side dmen.

You really give yourself too much credit.

Likewise regarding the fact we have a wealth of left wings - which was precisely why I favoured a deal to acquire Kassian - exactly the type of player this organization needed most.

We are fine on D - the only real problem is the 8th man - virtually a problem for every team in the NHL. If Connauton hadn't regressed slightly, I think he'd be getting an opportunity now as opposed to Barker, who imo just doesn't have the defensive sense to cut it in the NHL. If Gillis could simply flip Ballard for a right side top four, he'd be a genius right? Maybe he should contract you with that task.

Oh, that's right - he picked up a guy who is already looking like a top 4 right side guy as an undrafted UFA. It would appear you overstate the problem. And no, I'm not talking about Garrison.

With Garrison playing the right side to Hamhius last night (which is what I anticipated since the offseason given he played the vast majority of his time on the right side to Campbell last year) that pairing looked exceptional - the problem last night (aside from not being able to finish) was the third pairing - aside from that, the Canucks pretty much dominated an improved Columbus team. There's always room to improve, but when Bieksa and Ballard return, they'll be more than fine.

Thanks for the Keenan laugh there.

And the Washington laugh. Between McPhee's unambiguous 'I can't take that contract - I have far too many already' - to wanting a 6 million dollar disappointment on the blueline in Green, to wanting a youngster as our 3C who is in Oates' doghouse because he can't play defensive hockey, this has been entertaining. Mojo owns a -22.3 relative corsi, gets 57.1% offensive zone starts, and faces a very weak quality of competition... not able to crack Washington's lineup - certainly not ready to help us.

And here you are claiming that MG and the rest of us should have been listening to you all along.

At least it great entertainment value...

^^^And they want Luongo cause he is popular there and would be a huge sell with the fans, and he would help them right now while they transition to a younger core, also he doesn't have hi whole career ahead of him and could help Markstrom transition into a starter and become a star goalie himself.

Cory does none of those other than provide good goaltending now.

^^^And they want Luongo cause he is popular there and would be a huge sell with the fans, and he would help them right now while they transition to a younger core, also he doesn't have hi whole career ahead of him and could help Markstrom transition into a starter and become a star goalie himself.

plus a big chunk of Luo's contract has already been paid off (only approx 40mil remaining for the next 9 years) making it cheaper for florida and easier for them to hit the cap floor. Luongo's happy, florida gets a top end goalie, canucks are happy depending on the return. Its only a matter of time before this deal it done. If the deal is made before the deadline, then we get less of a return, If we wait until the draft we will get more.

Yeah this team needs to be shaken up, I am expecting something to happen, whether it is a Luongo trade or not. I am hoping for something.

As long as it isn't a Cory trade, if Cory is traded it will be worse than the initial feeling we all got when we heard about the Cody trade.

A Cory trade would only sting if the return wasn't good. If we got a damn good winger and a young talent, then I would be happy.

WTF is wrong with you?

That is the worst trade proposal I've seen in a while. That's bad even by your standards. If you were a puppy, I'd rub your nose in it.

Edler and Carlson basically cancel each other out value wise. So Washington trades Ovechkin for Schneider, Raymond, Ballard and a 1st??

No frick'n way.

OV still has way more value than that. What would other teams give up for him? You can't just add mid tier players and a 1st together to equal a top tier player. It doesn't work that way.

Goc has never played a full season in this league, and Petrovic is a ROOKIE with a lot of upside who didn't make a rebuilding team nor its affiliate AHL team.

Great value.

FLA

Luongo

VAN

18,200 garbage bags

The Vancouver Panthers.

This team needs the hell of a lot different pieces than what Florida could and is willing to offer,

Archived