The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Islanders Place Dipietro on Waivers

Provost

This guy is such a crook. I have to think a majority of those 'injuries' were embellished. Ah man, I'd give my left nut to be making a cool 4.5m for doing nothing, while being able to spend it in the big apple.

Seriously though, I understand the CBA has protections against law suits, but the Isles should seriously look at suing this thief!

This guy is such a crook. I have to think a majority of those 'injuries' were embellished. Ah man, I'd give my left nut to be making a cool 4.5m for doing nothing, while being able to spend it in the big apple.

Seriously though, I understand the CBA has protections against law suits, but the Isles should seriously look at suing this thief!

Wasn't Thomas' contract $0 impact for NYI but helped with the cap floor?

Saving 33% on DiPetro is still saving 33% that can be spent elsewhere.

66% wasted is still bad.

More than any other team making a Luongo trade with NYI is exciting.

Snow and Wang are so unpredictable they might give us a dream trade.

So for amusement sake... assume my premise above, that we were willing to take on DiPietro's contract simply in order to buy him out. What would that sort of deal take?

To NYI:

Schneider (don't think Luongo would waive to go there.. .and NYI might be leery to get into another goalie on a long term contract)

To Van:

NYI 1st round pick 2013

Niederreiter

Hamonic

DiPietro (for buyout in summer)

Almost no chance of MG spending $30 million of the owner's money like this... but entertaining to speculate.

What a mess. Yashin's cap is still on the books for 2 years after this, Thomas' is helping them get above the floor and now DiPietro adds to that expensive paperweight pile (guess they got lucky that Visnovsky decided to show up). That adds up to 1/5 of their salaries ($11.7M/$53)

The franchise may "win" in that Poulin gets to play and actually do well since Rick's basically squandered goods, and Rick will enjoy earning $4.5M in the minors (doubt they'll keep him around, or they'll be letting Poulin go to waste) but whoever signed him to that contract looks like the biggest fool out there. Their GM should consider themselves lucky that Tavares actually wants to stay.

If there is a Lu deal with the Islanders on the table, what are people expecting as a return?

Neiderreiter is obvious, but beyond that? Bailey? Do either make our current lineup?

The guy that really intrigues me for this season is Visnovsky. But we'd have to send a D-man back for that to work.

this might actually help dipietro, he needs to play some games to see if he can still play at a high level. There is no threat of anyone picking up that albatross of a contract and the isles dont care since it counts against the cap anyway.

My entire point was that I personally despise long-term contracts, whether they're of the DiPietro variety or the Luongo variety, and especially for a goaltender, considering the higher risk of injury. DiPietro is as one of my good friends put it the "poster child for why NHL contracts should be kept relatively short".

If there is a Lu deal with the Islanders on the table, what are people expecting as a return?

Neiderreiter is obvious, but beyond that? Bailey? Do either make our current lineup?

The guy that really intrigues me for this season is Visnovsky. But we'd have to send a D-man back for that to work.

So for amusement sake... assume my premise above, that we were willing to take on DiPietro's contract simply in order to buy him out. What would that sort of deal take?

To NYI:

Schneider (don't think Luongo would waive to go there.. .and NYI might be leery to get into another goalie on a long term contract)

To Van:

NYI 1st round pick 2013

Niederreiter

Hamonic

DiPietro (for buyout in summer)

Almost no chance of MG spending $30 million of the owner's money like this... but entertaining to speculate.

DiPietro was once a tremendous goaltender and an All-Star player with a great future. He had the skills but unfortunately injuries derailed his career. I once admired his ability to play his position and to handle pucks. It's a true shame. I can see how his fragility and contract have undermined whatever prior reputation he had developed with his skill. I remember him being at the height of his game in 2008 and being a fantastic goaltender. He almost scored a goal that season with the opposing net empty, and was one of the more entertaining goaltending personalities in the league. At that time, he had played three consecutive 60+ game seasons and had won 30+ games each of those three years. When the Canucks faced him that year at GM Place, the Canucks were pummelling him with shots and he was stopping most of them. It was a shooting gallery and he was the last line of defense against the much-better Canucks squad. The home team managed to win, but DiPietro had to face 45 shots that game as opposed to 28 for Luongo.

It's truly a shame how injuries have ruined the career of another talented player.

Archived