The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth vs Bust

fanfor42

We traded scraps to get him. People shouldn't expect him to be a bonafide 30 goal scorer.

You don't get those for next to nothing.

He is capable of putting up decent offensive numbers, but needs the right linemates to be at best.

Needs to get going this year.

He's NOT a core player.

He doesn't make his linemates better.

Doesn't have high hockey IQ, but has enough skills to be successful.

That said, it was a good acquisition. Slightly overpaid, but comparable to what some pay in FA.

Still, you make that trade without question.

Put him with Schroeder and Raymond or Higgins and then see what he can do.

They tried to force him to have chemistry with Kesler and it just wasn't working. Booth needs someone who can dish him the puck as he's driving to the net. Schroeder can do that.

I really like the way booth plays and his 23 goal pace last year is decent for a second line player who had multiple injuries and wad adjusting to a new team.

This year in limited minutes he posted 10 hits over his first 2 games.

Booth is a keeper but of these injuries pursist there may be a point where we buy him out

Scott Gomez had 900 games and counting last I checked. I think there's a middle ground. While I agree being around in the NHL a long time typically indicates someone has skill, there's certainly the cases where certain players are awesome for a few years then fall off the map.

So far from David Booth since his last injury, that has been the case unfortunately. I'm getting fairly impatient with this guy, and I wouldn't mind trading him away at some point if he doesn't step it up soon. He always seems to be injured or 'just getting back into the swing of things'--he had one stint where he had OKAY 2nd line points, but he certainly hasn't been the 30 goal scorer we signed up for.

i think booth is a poor fit with any of the "speed line". he is a step too slow for them. not that slowing down the play is wrong.

he does not think at the speed of the twins either. very few do.

his best fit would be with kass, kes, higgins or lappy. we need to match players with others that play at their comfort zone for pace. otherwise plays get broken up due to clumbsy timing.

i think booth could light it up if he found his lineup that suits him.

Yeah, but in the ten games leading into the playoffs he had 1 point. And then he had another point in his 5 playoff games.

In Feb, he went 7 games while registering 1 point, and finished with 3 goals that entire month (14 games).

He went 5 games without scoring earlier in the year, too.

Anyway, not trying to rain on your optimistic parade and be Debbie Downsyndrome here, but the problem with the Canucks (for me) is consistency. And Booth has done his best to prove to the Canucks faithful that he's anything but consistent, IMO.

He and Kesler do need a better playmaker to fit in with them so they can utilize their shots off the rush. I was really interested in seeing if Schroeder would fit there, but since we had no other centers to use in the bottom six (besides Lapierre) we didn't have the opportunity to.

Instead of going after Weiss, I could also see this as an opportunity to go after a better option as a 3rd line center to work with Lapierre defensively while still being able to contribute a bit more offensively. It's a little different option, and we'd have to use a line like Booth/Schroeder/Kassian in more offensive minutes, taking away from the Sedins, but could be an affordable way (top 6 more expensive than bottom 6) to fill the gap.

We have to use our young players sometime right? Why not now in a shortened season?

Yeah grabbing a third line center would be nice, then we could give Schroeder a shot and see what he can do. although I would like to see Kassian there, his playmaking ability is underrated IMO, and he brings size, grit and power. Just like Kesler and Booth do.

But yeah I think a two-way 3rd line center would be great, a 2nd/3rd line tweener type of guy, someone along the lines of a Vermette or a Bozak, or whoever. Someone of that elk would be great.

Archived