The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Curiosity about waivers

Hey Guys, Ive been watching hockey a long time but I wont say Im a hardcore hockey fan. Im not really sure how waivers works as far as picking up a player. This, of course, has to do with Sestito being picked up and losing Volpatti. So I heard Chicago was in the bidding to get Sestito as well. So is the reason we get him because we are lower in the standings? How does that work?

As an answer...

It is based on the standings. In reverse order you get priority in a waiver claim.

So in your example, if both we and Chicago put in a claim, we get the player.

The minor complications to the rules are that if you have claimed a player off waivers, you move to the bottom of the list. So right now we have last claim out of any team in the league because we just picked up a player.

I believe there is also a rule that if you had a player taken from you off waivers, and they get waived again... you get first crack at them. I am not 100% sure on that one though.

As an answer...

It is based on the standings. In reverse order you get priority in a waiver claim.

So in your example, if both we and Chicago put in a claim, we get the player.

The minor complications to the rules are that if you have claimed a player off waivers, you move to the bottom of the list. So right now we have last claim out of any team in the league because we just picked up a player.

I believe there is also a rule that if you had a player taken from you off waivers, and they get waived again... you get first crack at them. I am not 100% sure on that one though.

You seem to know alot about waivers, so I have a question. If a player is claimed off waivers does he have to stay on the active roster for the remainder of the season or can he be reasigned to the minor league team?

Hey Guys, Ive been watching hockey a long time but I wont say Im a hardcore hockey fan. Im not really sure how waivers works as far as picking up a player. This, of course, has to do with Sestito being picked up and losing Volpatti. So I heard Chicago was in the bidding to get Sestito as well. So is the reason we get him because we are lower in the standings? How does that work?

Archived