The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Komisarek An Upgrade Over Alberts & Barker?

Hear me out before you are quick to dismiss my thoughts..

Even though Komi has fallen out of favor over in Toronto I can clearly see night as day that he would be a coach favorite of Vigneult. He has size, toughness, pugnacity, truculence, belligerence similar to Alberts and is undoubtedly an upgrade over Andrew.

Just an idea since it's obvious Ballard is done with this team after back 2 back benchings. Maybe trade Ballard for future considerations to get is 4.2M cap off the books. Trade for Komisarek if Toronto retains a portion of his salary. Bring in a puck moving D like Liles, Kaberle or Visnovsky to man our abysmal Power Play. Get a 5th or 6th for Alberts.

I really really really think a change of scenery could spark the Komisarek of Montreal. Imagine having him as a "true" stay at home defenseman something we're missing since the Canucks brass chose not to re-sign Willie Mitchell.

And remember, the Canucks are a team that love reclamation projects!

Way too high of a salary for how good he is. Besides that, he is known for taking dumb penalties at critical times. Although he calmed down a bit recently, he would still be a big risk.

Too much risk for way too much cash. FWIW I think that the way Ballard has played this year (and before--not sure why he is always in AV's doghouse), and if he is on the move, he'd fetch more than an AHL millionaire.

People are quick to undervalue Alberts but he is a solid 7/8 dman. Big body, usually safe player. Can't ask for much more than that. I'm comfortable with him in our lineup.

Barker has only played one game so far and I liked what I saw. Give him a few more games but seemed like some good offensive upside.

If he didn't have another year on his contract I would definitely say go for it. We have the cap space this year, and as a #6 guy and a RH physical defenceman he is a great fit.

Next year with the cap hit going down, it is a tough salary to swallow for a guy playing that role on your team.

If Toronto would eat half of his cap hit and they'd take Alberts back then it might be worth it.

Something like Steckel, Komisarek (at $2.25 mil) for Alberts, Weise.

It would mean that the Canucks are actually taking on $1.5 mil in cap space so I don't know if we can fit it in without someone being placed on LTIR but I can see that Toronto would be happy to shed Komi and might be willing to give up another piece to do it.

Archived