The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Copyright

Salo'sBomb

You all know about the Roger Neilson incident in the playoffs in 82 with the white towels and how the fans waved them the next game? Well, now other teams are copying The Canucks' tradition in the playoffs by waving the towels. I was wondering why the Nucks never put, if it's possible, a copy right on the idea. We should have our own tradition. Nashville has the Catfish, Florida the rats, etc and you don't see anyone copying them. So I'm just wondering why and are you disappointed that other teams are using the Nucks' idea?

You all know about the Roger Neilson incident in the playoffs in 82 with the white towels and how the fans waved them the next game? Well, now other teams are copying The Canucks' tradition in the playoffs by waving the towels. I was wondering why the Nucks never put, if it's possible, a copy right on the idea. We should have our own tradition. Nashville has the Catfish, Florida the rats, etc and you don't see anyone copying them. So I'm just wondering why and are you disappointed that other teams are using the Nucks' idea?

Terrible Towel

The Terrible Towel is a rally towel associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL). Created in 1975 by then Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope, The Terrible Towel has spread in popularity; fans take their Towel to famous sites while on vacation. The Towel has been taken to the peak of Mount Everest, and even into space on the International Space Station. It is widely recognized as a symbol of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.[1][2]

Proceeds from sales of the Towel have raised over US$3 million for Allegheny Valley School Pennsylvania which cares for people with mental disabilities and physical disabilities. The Terrible Towel is credited with being the first "rally towel" and its success has given rise to similar products promoting other teams.[3]

Numerous versions have been produced; almost all are black and gold in color with the words "Myron Cope's Official The Terrible Towel" printed on the front. In October 2009 a pink Terrible Towel was introduced to promote Breast cancer.

Yeah I know but it's not like the Canucks' fans did it in 82 because the Steelers did it in the 70's. But yeah, it probably wouldn't have been copyrightable just because the Steelers had their towels already. I wonder if there could of been a more specific copyright to limit it to just the NHL. Anyways, it would probably be a tough process and it's already too late to do so probably.

Well, it would probably be a matter of trademark, not copyright, and it would still be pretty hard to do.

Even if you could prevent other teams from providing the fans with towels, could you really prevent fans from bringing their own and waving them?

It would be kind of like the Hawks demanding that no other team play Chelsea Dagger after a goal, and also that fans not spontaneously hum or sing it.

Archived