The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vikings - History Channel 9 Part TV Mini-Series

Wetcoaster

History Channel says of the series:

The HISTORY® original series Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to explore—and raid—the distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.

But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnar’s brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealously; of Earl Haraldson’s wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings’ pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the test—and their way of life will never be the same again.

Vikings was created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors).

Promo trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1GuNqt6jBg

Opening credits:

I have watched the first two episodes and it is quite good. The first two episodes are going to be re-broadcast on March 24.

Ep 1 Rites of Passage

Premiere Date:March 03, 2013 - 10:00-11:00PM

In 8th century Scandinavia, Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel) is a warrior and a farmer who dreams of finding riches by bucking the tradition of raiding to the east. Ragnar has been working in secret on a project that will turn the Viking world on its head. But first Ragnar must convince the leader of his community, the powerful Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who is none too happy to share in the renown that this journey could bring to Ragnar if it's successful.

Upcoming Airings:

March 24, 2013 - 03:00-03:59PM

Ep 2 Wrath of the Northmen

Premiere Date:March 10, 2013 - 10:00-11:00PM

The stage is set for the first journey west by Ragnar Lothbrok as he gathers a crew willing to risk their lives to travel into the unknown. Earl Haraldson's paranoia reaches new heights as it becomes apparent that trust is hard to come by in this dark era.

Upcoming Airings:

March 11, 2013 - 02:01-03:01AM

March 11, 2013 - 03:02-04:02AM

March 12, 2013 - 10:00-11:00PM

March 13, 2013 - 02:01-03:01AM

March 24, 2013 - 04:00-05:00PM

Ep 3 Dispossessed

Premiere Date:March 17, 2013 - 10:00-11:00PM

A monastery in Lindesfarne is about to get a firsthand look at how the Vikings operate. In and out in a flurry of violence and terror, Ragnar and his crew raid the monastery for everything it contains, from treasure to monks who can be sold as slaves. Unable to ignore the riches this unsanctioned journey has returned, Earl Haraldson has no choice but to agree to let these warriors undertake a second trip out. The West has now been opened for the taking by Ragnar Lothbrok, and the world of the Vikings will never be the same.

Upcoming Airings:

March 17, 2013 - 11:01-12:01AM

March 18, 2013 - 02:01-03:01AM

March 18, 2013 - 03:02-04:02AM

March 19, 2013 - 10:00-11:00PM

March 20, 2013 - 02:01-03:01AM

March 24, 2013 - 05:00-06:00PM

Hi Wetcoaster -

Vikings looks like a show I'd be interested in. I missed episode 1 -- where did you get the info it would be replayed on March 24? My TV guide (shaw) has someting else on at the time you indicated and I could not find any episode 1 replay times on the History channel website.

Hi Wetcoaster -

Vikings looks like a show I'd be interested in. I missed episode 1 -- where did you get the info it would be replayed on March 24? My TV guide (shaw) has someting else on at the time you indicated and I could not find any episode 1 replay times on the History channel website.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone been watching?

k-bigpic.jpg

Episodes 3.4. and 5 are currently online at the History Channel:

http://www.history.ca/fullepisodes/video/raid/video.html?v=2366159234&p=1&s=dd#fullepisodes/video' rel="external nofollow">

Here is a review:

The show takes pains in its attention to authentic detail. Many of the characters and storylines have their roots in recorded events and Norse legends, and the gorgeous landscapes, evocative sets and accurate-to-a-fault costumes create a visually stunning impression. Mix in the show's willingness to be provocative — trippy interactions with Gods and men, undiluted sexuality, characters you'll love to hate, the age-old clash between innovation and conservatism — and Vikings becomes the perfect Sunday night entertainment while you're waiting for Game of Thrones' return.

The characters are badass and multi-faceted. The central couple, warrior Ragnar Lothbrok (the compelling Travis Fimmel) and his shieldmaiden wife Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick, pitch-perfect) are a paragon of lusty married bliss in a time when the other alliances depicted are brutal or political. Lagertha has already won a devoted fan following, as an uncompromising lady-warrior who is also a mother and lover, going toe-to-toe with Ragnar.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Ragnar's best friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgård) is another refreshing character, a crazy-eyed visionary shipbuilder who might be descended from Gods and talks to trees.

skarsgard-as-floki-in-vikings.png

tumblr_mjmdu7KvIy1r7ylo1o1_500.jpg

Even the show's antagonist, Earl Haraldson (played with restraint by Gabriel Byrne in scarlet and ermine) hints at complexities beneath his I-shall-thwart-you mustache twirling: a flashback shows the Earl's tragic past, which has shaped the tenure of his reign. Afraid of Ragnar's suggestion that the Vikings must raid to the West instead of the well-known East, Haraldson represents stodgy authorities who have sought to block progress, a tale as old as time.

original.jpg

(George) Blagden, a newcomer recently seen harmonizing as Grantaire in Tom Hooper's Les Miserables, makes use of his vocal chops when he appears as Athelstan, a Christian monk captured by Ragnar on their first venture to the West. We're not sure if there's more overtures to be had, but we've seen the teaser trailers where Ragnar and Lagertha ask Athelstan to join them in bed. We're on board.

The series takes pains to show the methods by which Vikings undertook such long and perilous sea voyages. Early forms of navigation are shown and explained, like the rough version of a compass Ragnar is sure will lead him to untold riches, and the legendary 'sunstones' that were purported to help guide on overcast days. The recent discovery of such a crystal in an ancient British shipwreck suggests Vikings could be teaching geology alongside history.

Vikings is a new venture for the History Channel, strongly rendered fiction rooted in fact, in the vein of their blockbuster Hatfield & McCoys. While there has been lamentation about the network's slide into sensationalism from its documentary past, Vikings is a very far cry from Ancient Aliens. From its first two episodes, Vikings has shown itself to be smart, self-aware, full of information and fun. Just like my favorite history professors.

this is a show I won't be watching. It's bad enough that I've already seen the Hershal Walker trade, the '98 OT loss to the Falcons, the loss to the 'Aints a few seasons ago, Dennis Green, etc. But do I really want to re-live all of that again?

wait...

why are you all looking at me like that?

this is a show I won't be watching. It's bad enough that I've already seen the Hershal Walker trade, the '98 OT loss to the Falcons, the loss to the 'Aints a few seasons ago, Dennis Green, etc. But do I really want to re-live all of that again?

wait...

why are you all looking at me like that?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gumballthechewy

Has anyone been watching this show? I've just starting watching it and it's pretty good. I like it.

Archived