(proposal)Bottom 6 TEAM TOUGHNESS-- Canucks-TAMPA

Tampa

Anton Rodin

Dale Weise

Canucks 4th round pick

Van

Nate Thomson

B.J. Crombeen

---Nate Thomson- pending UFA, Assets: Provides a lot of energy, can kill penalties and isn't afraid to rumble. Can line up both at center or wing and provides plenty of versatility to a lineup. Works hard and has sound fundamentals. Is good on face-offs.

---B.J. Crombeen- pending UFA, has the most fights this season. Assets:Has good size and likes to play a physical, up-and-down game. Has a meat-and-potatoes attitude, defensive acumen and a bundle of energy when on the ice. Can play either wing position.

Why Tampa does this trade.

-out of the playoff hunt will most likely loose both players in free agency

-Thomson is due for a raise, they cant afford

- Rodin would be able to make the Tampa roster next season

-Weise is an RFA

-Tampa has some serious cap issues next season . Stamkos and Vinny make 14+ million

Why Vancouver

- To get tougher

- In need of 3rd line center

- Gillis will be able to role all 4 lines

- about 600 000 over the cap but I'm sure Gilman can figure something out

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) -------Henrik Sedin ($6.100m)-------- Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m)------- Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) -------- Mason Raymond ($2.275m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m)------Nate Thompson ($0.900m)------ Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

B.J. Crombeen ($1.000m) ---Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m)------- Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.851m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Cam Barker ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,853,833; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $653,833

I am okay without Crombeen, just get us Thompson

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond=Kesler-Hansen

Booth-TRADE-Kassian

Higgins/Pinizzotto - Thompson - Lapierre.

Play that line for 80-90% of defensive faceoffs, we have a good faceoff guy for either side.

I am aware of Thompson's faceoff prowess and his abilities on the PK, but he's a little undersized and a little slow for what our 3rd line needs. (Can he keep up with Booth, Raymond, Higgins or Hansen?). Granted I haven't watched the guy play much, but he seems like the ideal 4th line centre. We need to be able to roll 3 lines that can score. He seems like more of an energy player than a true shutdown centre. Anything would be an improvement though.

I understand that your not familiar with Nate Thompson. Thats ok.

I will assure you, his underlying numbers are strong... Malhotra-like if you will.

As for Crombeen, no thanks we will keep Wiese, they keep Crombeen.

With that said, no way Tampa moves their heavy lifting 3C unless its a package for a better player.

And your not bringing him inas an offensive player... Your bringing in a heavy lifting 3C. 25 points is pretty typical 3C production.

This is the guy who plays the role of enabler (which is something we really lack in Malhotras absense).

Yeah, not on a Canucks team. The third line has to contribute offensively if you're going to win the Stanley Cup. See: Jarrett Stoll, Chris Kelly, Dave Bolland, Jordan Staal, Valterri Filppula.

Don't know where you are getting your standards from, but if you ask anybody else, 30-40 points is the typical production for a third line centre.

He's a fourth line fringe player on a Canucks team.

You need to realize what kind of a player is needed on a third line on a Stanley Cup winning team. It doesn't matter what zone Nate Thompson and his quality of competition. It's the type of player we need.

We don't need a plug on the third line. We need a solid, two-way forward that can play in all three zones and do more than win a faceoff.

I think a Nate Thompson, Paul Gaustad, Manny Malhotra type guy would be ideal for line 3.

Obviously a Stall/Bolland would be a dream come true.. But not overly realistic.

I guess our preferance for heavy lifting 3Cs is different.

If Tampa becomes a seller (which is quite possible) Thompson would be a very good target for MG.

Archived