The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Player Salaries and Full Disclosure.

I am curious as to why teams make contract information available to the public. It only hampers the fans opinion of players, which in turn can ruin a players confidence.

I think the only information that should be made available to the public is term length and if the player has a NTC. Understandably teams in the NHL will need to know that amount a player is making especially when making a trade, and the NHL in general needs to make sure teams are remaining cap compliant. But why do you and I need to know that Keith Ballard is making 4.2M a year.

If over the last few years all we as fans knew was that Keith Ballard was on our team, signed until 2015, and our team was still cap compliant, would it not be easier as us as fans to just think of him getting benched being because he is playing poorly, and not worrying about 4.2M sitting in the press box.

Or when garrison signed for 6 years in the off-season, maybe the entirety of CDC and media would not have blown up with debates and persecution of management when they found out he was making as much as Bieksa.

I just feel the public knowing a players salary can ruin their opinion of that player and that does not bode well for the player or the organization. Maybe full disclosure is not something that is needed in a cap era. Just my two cents.

My understanding is teams don't make player salaries terms public. Hence the reason in every press release it says, "as per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed."

It's the player agents and the NHLPA that disclose it.

If over the last few years all we as fans knew was that Keith Ballard was on our team, signed until 2015, and our team was still cap compliant, would it not be easier as us as fans to just think of him getting benched being because he is playing poorly, and not worrying about 4.2M sitting in the press box.

When the players were locked out, I heard that it was NHLPA that insisted on disclosure of salaries. That way players can say look at so and so who are producing x number of points, I should get that much as well. In other words, it is ultimately a benefit for players and negotiation. Only downside that was warned was fans opinions on how much a player makes and the expectations. Small price for the steady exponential increases in players salaries. Genius move on NHLPA.

When the players were locked out, I heard that it was NHLPA that insisted on disclosure of salaries. That way players can say look at so and so who are producing x number of points, I should get that much as well. In other words, it is ultimately a benefit for players and negotiation. Only downside that was warned was fans opinions on how much a player makes and the expectations. Small price for the steady exponential increases in players salaries. Genius move on NHLPA.

read up on the history of the NHLPA, how it started and the reason why it was started. Because salary disclosure is the reason why top players get paid like top players, unlike in the 50's when Howe in his heyday of being the NHL's best player was just 3rd or 4th on his team in salary.

Archived