The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We're trending towards copying Calgary

The Dark Knight

This season is very quickly turning into a serious gong show.

- The goalie debate

- Kesler injured every time he steps on the ice

- The overpayments of several players (Ballard, Booth, etc)

- Losing arguably the best faceoff man in the game for the year

- AV shrugging off any notion of adversity

It sucks. But then again, I thought we were having no hockey this year.

This season is very quickly turning into a serious gong show.

- The goalie debate

- Kesler injured every time he steps on the ice

- The overpayments of several players (Ballard, Booth, etc)

- Losing arguably the best faceoff man in the game for the year

- AV shrugging off any notion of adversity

It sucks. But then again, I thought we were having no hockey this year.

I don't think we're there yet.

IMO the Sedins will stay playing at a pretty good level for longer because they don't rely on their skating as much as other players do.

I think you could make an argument that Kesler is our MVP and he hasn't played a single game this year healthy.

I also think that AV needs to go. I think it's finally time. I think a new coach would do wonders for our guys. Get them to work harder and new systems would make our team less predictable.

I think you could start making the argument that we're turning into Calgary when you see the results that we're seeing now with a fully healthy team and with a new coach. Then I'll start being concerned.

I'm also very interested to see how this team looks next year. I believe that Schneider or Lu will be moved in the off season and both Ballard and Booth will be bought out. I think we might start to see an injection of youth in our lineup next year because of the low cap. I could see Connauton getting an opportunity and Schroeder making the team. Maybe Jensen? Gaunce also has an outside shot. And maybe if he's ready we could see Lain as our 4th line centre.

We're not Calgary. I can see the danger of us turning into Calgary but I honestly don't see it happening. I trust Gillis and believe that he will make the right moves for this team going forward.

got a good point dark knight, but the difference is we won 4 straight division titles on top of 2 straight presdients trophies. Calgary did not even come close to any division titles during the same time. The Canucks on paper, are very good team, and they still are. (injuries have gotten to us) Calgary, not so good. Not even that, MIke Gillis is a superior GM to Sutter/Feister.

tbh, we're nowhere close to being on calgary's level

this team has too much talent. we know how they can perform. we have an identical roster to start the season, but for some reason, we're suddenly fighting for our playoff lives

I'm still believing that brighter days are ahead, but with how teams are suddenly getting hot towards the end of this short season, and our flickering flame appears to be running dim, you can't really blame the fans for feeling uneasy with the teams performance as of late

This team has too much talent??? Where is it hiding? Overrated goaltending, no #1 defencemen- a bunch of #3 and #4, Sedins are past their peak (still very good but definitely trending down, look at the goals per game of daniel the last 3 years), Kesler has had 3 major reconstructive surgeries, a bunch of 3rd line wingers like Higgins, hansen, raymond... Is that elite level talent? is that Kopitar, carter, brown, doughty, quick talent??

I was thinking the same thing. After Cgy's cup run they had 1-2 solid seasons where they were predicted to win the cup and go far and it never happened and they are now in a bad situation. After our cup, had a good regular season last year and was predicted to be a contender but we got eliminated in 5 games...very similar situations

Archived