The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

According to Rhett Warrener, one of Ruff's strengths as a coach is his ability to adjust his systems according to what the opposition is doing. He cited the 1999 SC run (which Buffalo eventually lost to Dallas) as an example. According to Rhett, the Sabres were outmatched in pretty much every category (except goaltending) in every series but Ruff was able to implement strategies to counter the systems the other teams were employing.

Just curious, are you guys hoping Gillis fires AV during this season, or should he wait until after the playoffs?

While he is still available, you have to kick the tires and see if he would be interested, if he was then thats the 1st freebie move any GM makes is to fire the coach, especially one he has inherited and has been with the team for a while and hasnt proven much success in the playoffs except for 1 season, which hey, its great in all but anything less than a stanley cup with the team we have should be considered not good enough, players will only get older and the window slowly closes every year

That's the problem, AV doesn't use what Gillis has given him. Where was Garrison last night on the 5 on 3?

Why is it good players suddenly become poor when they arrive in Vancouver? I watched Garrison on more than one occasion last season when he was in Florida. He's not the same here because he's not being used the same.

Needing help at center is obvious.

Just curious, are you guys hoping Gillis fires AV during this season, or should he wait until after the playoffs?

Ruff guided the Sabres to the playoffs twice in the last five years. This would have been twice in the last six had he not been fired. I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach, but obviously something went south in the Sabres dressing room.

Gillis inherited AV, as in he chose to keep AV back in 2008. Since then, Gillis has extended AV's contract (twice, I believe).

If anyone has a problem with AV's coaching style, then you also have a problem with Gillis, for it is Gillis who is keeping AV here. If AV has to go, then so should Gillis.

There are some who would view this as a good thing, and who knows, they may well get their wish. Perhaps it happening sooner rather than later will be a good thing, so we can all get started on threads about the good old days when Gillis and AV were running the team. :)

regards,

G.

Ruff guided the Sabres to the playoffs twice in the last five years. This would have been twice in the last six had he not been fired. I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach, but obviously something went south in the Sabres dressing room.

Gillis inherited AV, as in he chose to keep AV back in 2008. Since then, Gillis has extended AV's contract (twice, I believe).

If anyone has a problem with AV's coaching style, then you also have a problem with Gillis, for it is Gillis who is keeping AV here. If AV has to go, then so should Gillis.

There are some who would view this as a good thing, and who knows, they may well get their wish. Perhaps it happening sooner rather than later will be a good thing, so we can all get started on threads about the good old days when Gillis and AV were running the team. :)

regards,

G.

Ok so AV won't use players Gillis gives him ? Then AV should be fired. If Edler is plaing with a back problem then AV should be fired. If Gillis lets all this go the owner should fire Gillis. If the owner doesn't fire Gillis the fans should not go to the games.

regards,

G.

Lidstrom retired and Stuart left plus all of the injuries on there back end.

They've lost their best 2 defenceman and haven't replaced them with anyone. They were hopping to get Suter or Webber and failed at that.

We lost Salo and replaced him with Garrisson. I'd like to see the Canucks lose the Sedins and see how we do.

Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Kesler, Raymond, Schneider, Sedin, Sedin, Tanev. An argument can even be made for Hodgson. Works in progress: Kassian, Schroeder, Weise.

With Ruff, I'm not sure he could do any kind of a Sutter-like mid-season turn around. Crawford had a real team he could coach when he was previously here. And then he got axed for AV. I don't expect to see him back here any time soon.

regards,

G.

If what rhett Warriner says is true, then im sure other teams are looking at Ruff to replace their current coach. Philly, Rangers and who knows how many other teams.

Thats exactly what our team needs, someone behind the bench that can read how the game is being played and make in game adjustments, sure didnt see that last night or during the Boston series or last year against LA. And that is AV biggest downfall.

I think Ruff could change things up here and do a good job. Ruff is a good coach, hes probably at home scout teams he would have an interest in coaching and watching how they are playing. Its like pre scouting to see where his next job would be. He can see what the opposition team is doing that is allowing them to win, or shutting down the other teams. See how certain players are being used or not utilized properly in certain areas such as PP

I think Lindy Ruff would be a great choice to shake things up, which I think is the first step for the Canucks. From their they look at the players, address that in the off season and then go from there

I would wait till the end of the season then fire AV. Why wait? Because although I believe AV is making bad decisions and isn't getting effort out of the players he does have, I also think Gillis hasn't assembled a good team around the core players. The fact that we still have both Lou and Schneider is incredible.

So I would wait till season's end, hire a new coach ( a younger coach, not just another retread) give Gillis a very short leash to grow some balls and make some deals....REAL deals. Then if the team doesn't turn it around quickly, fire Gillis.

Archived