The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder...Exactly what Kesler Needs?

RyanKeslord17

We've seen the best and worst of Schroeder up here in Vancouver, but something tells me that Schroeder can finally be that playmaker that our second line, mainly Kesler needs. We all saw Schroeder's great passing ability last night when he set up Weise, he looked like a natural playmaker on that play. The only issue is that Kesler and Schroeder are both Centers.

It's clear to me that Kesler is more suited to the wing, he has the great outside speed and the great wrister. Can you just imagine Schroeder feeding that puck to Kesler on the rush? It might just be a great duo, and work out great for both players.

My proposed line up:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

That Raymond Schroeder Kesler line is full of zip and speed, and it could definitely do some serious damage. Would love to see this when Kesler returns. Size won't be an issue if you're fast, and plus, we still have Kesler on that line, so it's not all that small. We can still have Kesler taking all the draws and have Schroeder take them when Kes gets waived.

What do you guys think?

No Kesler isn't more suited to the wing.

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

Plus your reasons, (Speed and Wrist shot) Are both things Schroeder has aswell.

Maybe give Schroeder a shot at Wing, but don't bump Kes over for him.

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fin skating with Kes.

We've seen the best and worst of Schroeder up here in Vancouver, but something tells me that Schroeder can finally be that playmaker that our second line, mainly Kesler needs. We all saw Schroeder's great passing ability last night when he set up Weise, he looked like a natural playmaker on that play. The only issue is that Kesler and Schroeder are both Centers.

It's clear to me that Kesler is more suited to the wing, he has the great outside speed and the great wrister. Can you just imagine Schroeder feeding that puck to Kesler on the rush? It might just be a great duo, and work out great for both players.

My proposed line up:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

That Raymond Schroeder Kesler line is full of zip and speed, and it could definitely do some serious damage. Would love to see this when Kesler returns. Size won't be an issue if you're fast, and plus, we still have Kesler on that line, so it's not all that small. We can still have Kesler taking all the draws and have Schroeder take them when Kes gets waived.

What do you guys think?

Kesler's offensive game is more typical of a winger than a center, in the way that Martin St. Louis (a playmaking winger) is kind of a rarity. Kesler's very much a head down, balls-to-the-wall, shoot-first type with a tremendous defensive presence. To be honest, there aren't many centers out there like him. I can still see his defensive game translating to the wing (see Jere Lehtinen and the greatest defensive player of all time, Bob Gainey). He did play there, when Mats Sundin was on the team, and ended up as a Selke finalist.

The trouble is, since there aren't that many pass-first wingers out there, it might not be easy to find Kes a winger.

The problem is Hodgson was pretty poor defensively and needed to be sheltered. He probably wouldn't work with Kes, who plays the hardest minutes against the toughest competition. Shroeder could at least handle himself, in the defensive end.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

knowing AV, he will probably slot in Ebbett onto the 4th line and take out either Pinizzotto or Kassian (Weise kills penalties).... I'm not sure what that second line would do to kesler's ego, getting bumped off his main position by a kid, but if they do work it out, that line-up actually looks decent, at least top 9 looks decent

but once again, if the top 9 solidifies like that, the 4th line will probably will be Weise-Ebbett-Kassian

there have been lots

St Louis

Kariya

Recchi

Jagr played on the wing for a number of years

Joe Juneau

Lafleur

Selanne

Robataille

Alot of these guys get confused as just goal scorers but many of those named are in the top 50 assist men all time in the nhl and are wingers...

I'd say give him a chance, if it were my decision it would be either him (Jordan) or Hansen in that 2nd line RW spot anyways, these guys are the two best passers that this team has from any forward not named Sedin, plus i'd rather have him on the 2nd line than the 3rd line where he would be too small for the playoffs (rather have Higgins as the 3rd line center).

Twins - Burr

Raymond - Kes - Schroeder

Hansen - Higgins - Kassian

Sestito - Lapierre - Weise/ Pini

Too bad Booth's gone though, if David was around I would've done

Twins - Burr

Raymond - Kes - Hansen

Higgins - Schroeder - Booth (Booth needs a passing center and Schroeder can send him on his way to the net)

Pini - Lapierre - Kassian

Archived