Canucks Community

Van-NYI

To Vancouver:

Nino Niederreiter

Rick Dipietro

To New York Islander:

Roberto Luongo

David Booth/Keith Ballard

Clearly there would need to be more moving parts to this, but essentially I believe this would be the main pieces.

The only way I see right now of getting a tangible asset back for Luongo is a scenario like this where we are taking back an equally bad and long contract. I think this could work because its getting to the point where Luongo just wants to get out, and the Islanders could really use an upgrade in goaltending than Nabokov if they are trying to make the playoffs this year. The Luongo contract (33.8mil over 9 years starting next season) is more palatable than the Dipietro (36mil over 8) especially since Luongo can still play, and a Booth or Ballard contract is easier for the Islanders to buy out over the Dipietro where if the Canucks can get a good return, and can convince ownership for the money, can buy out Dipietro and the other player remaining between Booth and Ballard in the offseason. Niederreiter has asked for a trade earlier this season, and is a young offensive forward with size which is an asset we can use going forward.

Archived