The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks on the same path as the Flames?

cmpunk

Discuss this and give me thoughts.

I am not trying to be a negative guy are someone hoping for this but I am talking the reality here.

Simply what stage or position is this organization in? All in? Basically it seems we are not quite all in contenders nor rebuilding, we are in between. Just like the Flames were after their cup run. The way I see it, if we were all in like Gillman said, we would have seen offers or a lot of teams interest in Schneider and made a big move not thinking about 3-5 years down the road. But the team is set on moving Luongo and so far looks like we won't get what we want.

Schneider no doubt is better for our future, but if this is what the team is thinking, we are clearly not all in making 1 move and getting Roy while other teams made multiple moves. Penguins got even better after still being a favorite. When Chicago won the cup, they went all in, after the season look at how many players they lost. LA last season got Richards first, then made a big move for Carter. The Wild gave up a top goalie prospect and a 1st round pick for Pomminville.

Flames after their cup run, were a top playoff team for a few seasons and in between all in and rebuild and slowly became what they are now. They realized too late they needed to rebuild and they got not as much as they would had they realized earlier and made the moves they made this season a few seasons ago. Not saying we need to rebuild at all, but we clearly are not all in either.

Sir yes sirs a sad thing it is will be when a the canucks are will be like a flame yes the canuck are still a good team but after a years and yes a year more will the cauck still be yes a good team yes they will not let us all hope that a gillis can start the rebuild before the canuck are the flame

Calgary had Iginla, that was it.. and basically zero prospects to develop, zero forwards, zero defensemen, and zero goalies behind Kipper, that's why they are where they are

I won't go in detail on our Defense and goalies because we all know our lines of personnel there... in terms of forward depth, right now we're doing ok with Henrik, Kesler, Roy, and Lappy down the middle, if we keep Schroeder he should be able to develope into a reliable centerman in a couple years. we also have Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce as forward prospects to build on in a few years

so no, we're nowhere near where the Flames are right now because we have not given up our future yet (we still have our next year's first round pick for god sakes!)

Calgary had Iginla, that was it.. and basically zero prospects to develop, zero forwards, zero defensemen, and zero goalies behind Kipper, that's why they are where they are

I won't go in detail on our Defense and goalies because we all know our lines of personnel there... in terms of forward depth, right now we're doing ok with Henrik, Kesler, Roy, and Lappy down the middle, if we keep Schroeder he should be able to develope into a reliable centerman in a couple years. we also have Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce as forward prospects to build on in a few years

so no, we're nowhere near where the Flames are right now because we have not given up our future yet (we still have our next year's first round pick for god sakes!)

Flames have been in an obvious nosedive for the last four years IMO...They have a great fan base and ownership sort of milked it for all it's worth ,by selling it as a contender.I think the Canucks have one more year to seriously compete for the SC with this current group.

Sir yes sirs a sad thing it is will be when a the canucks are will be like a flame yes the canuck are still a good team but after a years and yes a year more will the cauck still be yes a good team yes they will not let us all hope that a gillis can start the rebuild before the canuck are the flame

Schneider no doubt is better for our future, but if this is what the team is thinking, we are clearly not all in making 1 move and getting Roy while other teams made multiple moves. Penguins got even better after still being a favorite. When Chicago won the cup, they went all in, after the season look at how many players they lost. LA last season got Richards first, then made a big move for Carter. The Wild gave up a top goalie prospect and a 1st round pick for Pomminville.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are different because they managed to pull a series of massive draft picks, win, then flip their periphery players, give it a couple, then go again We can't stack up to that. The only team that could is Edmonton, and they've essentially gone nowhere with their series of high end picks.

LA was truly an anomaly, at least I think, but no team can compare to their recent success + moves. There really is no comparison to LA. Only 8th seed to win.

I don't know why you would put Minnesota on this list unless you're suffering from Deadline Dementia, but you don't seem to be so, ,,,,?

And no, we are not the Flames. The Flames are the Leafs of the last decade. There is no indication that we are headed down that path.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are different because they managed to pull a series of massive draft picks, win, then flip their periphery players, give it a couple, then go again We can't stack up to that. The only team that could is Edmonton, and they've essentially gone nowhere with their series of high end picks.

LA was truly an anomaly, at least I think, but no team can compare to their recent success + moves. There really is no comparison to LA. Only 8th seed to win.

I don't know why you would put Minnesota on this list unless you're suffering from Deadline Dementia, but you don't seem to be so, ,,,,?

And no, we are not the Flames. The Flames are the Leafs of the last decade. There is no indication that we are headed down that path.

If I remember correctly, Calgary was never a serious contender for the cup. They placed 6th in the conference in 2004, and went to the finals. Winning games has a lot to do with luck, Edmonton went to the finals too, but they were a bubble team, even then.

I get what you are saying though, you are afraid the Canucks will sink. Its the inevitable, but the team is still fairly young. I wouldn't put much stock on this season because of the injuries, and the fact that many guys on this team didn't prepare for the season like they should have(Sedins). Next season will be a true test if they are truly healthy and still struggling. Hopefully that goalie distraction will be over and done with as well.

The Flames consistently busted with there drafting and development in terms of getting good players that play for a long time. Its early to tell in the Gillis era but prior we did a much better job of getting NHLers. And even when the Flames did get NHLers they didn't stick around long.

I think we will be okay, we have invested money into our development and I think we have some prospects that will be able to come into the lineup as other guys go out. I don't think we will be Calgary.

Archived