The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks on the same path as the Flames?

cmpunk

No. We have Schneider replacing Luongo for starters. Calgary never got anybody to replace Kiprusoff, and they still haven't.

Calgary also never built anybody around Iginla. We have the Sedins as our "Iginlas", but we also have a good group of forwards and d-men beyond them and apart from Luongo none of our players are our super long-term deals. And considering our low drafting positions of late, we have a few decent young players to draw from... Tanev, Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian, Schroeder, Corrado, and a few more who could fill lower positions. Not to mention we'll add more as our core ages.

Also great that the core players we have signed on long-term deals won't be old and gray when they're up:

Kesler: until 15-16, he'll be 31

Burrows: 16-17, 36

Higgins: 16-17, 33

Bieksa: 15-16, 34

Garrison: 17-18, 33

Hamhuis: 15-16, 33

Edler: 18-19, 32

As each becomes set to come off the books, the team'll either let them go, trade them for assets in their last season, or re-sign them at a lower rate depending on the continued development of our prospects and who we obtain in the coming years. I think we're a hell of a lot better off than the Flames.

Sir yes sirs a sad thing it is will be when a the canucks are will be like a flame yes the canuck are still a good team but after a years and yes a year more will the cauck still be yes a good team yes they will not let us all hope that a gillis can start the rebuild before the canuck are the flame

I would say we are more in the path of the Ducks, possibly even the Sens a few years back, both teams peaked then came down.

Rather than completely rebuilding they moved some desirable assets and retooled with the draft.

While keeping the core intact

San Jose/ FLA even Washington last year is a modern day version of that rebuild on the fly

Luongo for picks at the draft would be the best case if its still doable

The way I see it is if you are not a top 4 team in your conference these days you need to move pending FA's, or players with higher value to other teams. We are getting close to that cutoff.

From what I see Raymond would have landed us a 2nd/3rd, if we don't resign him and come short of the cup it will be a dam shame.

I don't see Raymond as a make or break player anyway.

A lot of you say it is better to trade Schneider and you may be right but, I think the team needs to pause, retool, and hire a new coaching staff.

A younger more affordable Schneider would fit that better IMO, but that might not be possible.

Sir yes sirs a sad thing it is will be when a the canucks are will be like a flame yes the canuck are still a good team but after a years and yes a year more will the cauck still be yes a good team yes they will not let us all hope that a gillis can start the rebuild before the canuck are the flame

Discuss this and give me thoughts.

I am not trying to be a negative guy are someone hoping for this but I am talking the reality here.

Simply what stage or position is this organization in? All in? Basically it seems we are not quite all in contenders nor rebuilding, we are in between. Just like the Flames were after their cup run. The way I see it, if we were all in like Gillman said, we would have seen offers or a lot of teams interest in Schneider and made a big move not thinking about 3-5 years down the road. But the team is set on moving Luongo and so far looks like we won't get what we want.

Schneider no doubt is better for our future, but if this is what the team is thinking, we are clearly not all in making 1 move and getting Roy while other teams made multiple moves. Penguins got even better after still being a favorite. When Chicago won the cup, they went all in, after the season look at how many players they lost. LA last season got Richards first, then made a big move for Carter. The Wild gave up a top goalie prospect and a 1st round pick for Pomminville.

Flames after their cup run, were a top playoff team for a few seasons and in between all in and rebuild and slowly became what they are now. They realized too late they needed to rebuild and they got not as much as they would had they realized earlier and made the moves they made this season a few seasons ago. Not saying we need to rebuild at all, but we clearly are not all in either.

Alot of teams that have made the SC Final over the last decade have faded away a year or two afterwards.

Tampa Bay '04

Calgary '04

Edmonton '06

Carolina '06

Ottawa '07

Anaheim '07

Detroit (they're gradually fading away) '08 + '09

Philadelphia '10

If you ask me, and I may get flamed for saying it, but IMO our window is closed after this season. I hope I'm wrong, but I see this team playing even worse next season.

I don't know about being the same as the Flames but I totally agree with your point about Schneider.

It is not as if we are comparing an elite goalie and a duffer. Luongo is and always will be the real deal. Schneider "probably" is the real deal but no one can say for sure.

I really don't understand Gillis. The need for some more quality size for this team (especially if Kesler has another breakdown or Edler falls apart) was paramount. Gillis should have been offering either goalie in a trade to ensure we actually had a chance this year. He didn't. Once again the man and his team get caught up in the minutia and lose focus.

Does anyone seriously doubt that Vancouver will not have another first rate net minder in 3-4 years? I don't, so what was Gillis thinking about?

I wonder could Gillis tell us he could not have got exactly what this team needs if he had offered Schneider. The guy's a bust.

Archived