The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'My Contract Sucks'

nux4lyfe

I wasn't all that impressed about hearing someone talk about how they would rip up a $64 million contract that "sucks" right now, when there are people who are less fortunate and hungry in the streets.

Lu is the best goaltender this franchise has ever seen but I was extremely disappointed when I heard those comments. I thought it was extremely unprofessional and unintelligent considering those comments could potentially do even more harm and damage to his value and facilitating a trade - no matter what Gillis may say, "come on now Mike, you're asking us to take on a contract that even your own player says sucks and says he would tear apart..."

But as huge fans, one thing we've learned about Lu over the years is that he does not necessarily think his words through wisely when in an emotional state regarding the team or his play. Probably like every other poster here on CDC.

And you wonder why most player/coach interviews seem scripted look at Luo, granted "my contract sucks" is kind of a big deal for a player to say but seriously, why can we as fans not just leave it alone, be happy with Luo until/if he gets traded?

At the time the contract was signed, Luo looked like he was worth every penny and perhaps more. He was the best goaltender on the planet, had everything going for him.

Then came the Chicago debacle, and suddenly everything began to fall apart. Now he's stuck in this boat.

Truth is, Luongo did himself in when he not only signed the contract, but proceeded to set himself as the Nucks "deliverer." He's gone and strapped the target upon himself, personally guaranteeing the world for Canuck nation. When he faltered, his opponents made fun of him, and his fans threw him under the bus.

I was Luongo's biggest supporter, that is until this year when he continued to put his foot in his mouth with things like "contract sucks" among other things. I think it may be healthy for him to move on if that's what he wants, but on the other hand, it's highly unlikely he can be moved. And I still kind of want to see him have a better ending.

All in all though, Luongo and the Canucks have no option but to start over and get up. Let him finish what he started by winnning a Cup in Vancouver, and then he can kiss the demons goodbye.

But as huge fans, one thing we've learned about Lu over the years is that he does not necessarily think his words through wisely when in an emotional state regarding the team or his play. Probably like every other poster here on CDC.

so what exactly have Luongo done? Literally nothing.. on the other hand.. the management is ruining Luongo's career by forcing him into a backup role.. first they will not trade Luongo unless they get what THEY think is fair for Luongo, and now the deadline past he's still on the team forced to sit on the bench nightly. Im sure when Luongo signed the contract he's expected to play. Money isn't everything.. it's a big part.. but i'm sure Luongo would much rather play and make less.. than sit at the bench do nothing and make more.. that's 1 more year gone in his career and 1 less chance he'll get to compete and play for the stanley cup as a starter.. if anything the management screwed Luongo over by not trading Schneider few years ago when they had the chance and now end up with this debacle... and now they are screwing him over even more by not making a trade happen with whomever by still demanding a "Hockey trade"

Sure Luongo contract sux. but would you rather pay him 7 7.5mil a year at that time for a 4-5 yrs term? hell that's probably what Schneider will be commanding by the time his next contract comes around.. that's 2.5mil of cap space less to sign something that could help the team.. If Luongo signed for 7 7.5mil instead back then.. i doubt we'll be able to re-sign some of those players we have today...

If there's any truth to the stories floating around about what all went down on deadline day, it's really no surprise that Luongo was so emotional and lost his composure. Earlier tonight, CanucksCorner's "Hockey Widow" (who, according to some, is a legitimate Canucks "insider"--personally, I can't really vouch for her but I can't dismiss her either) posted a lengthy breakdown of the events leading up to Lu's infamous "my contract sucks" moment:

Again, it's a long read (and who can really say as to the accuracy of it all) but certainly an interesting take on what went down.

I'm gonna hide this one inside spoilers because it takes up a fair amount of space on the page:

The pieces I have are this. Luongo was pulled off the ice with about 15-20 minutes before the trade deadline expired. He was sitting with MG and others, not sure who, and was told that MG and Nonis had agreed in principle to a trade. Luongo asked what the return was. MG told him a back up and two picks, not a first. Luongo asked MG if he was satisfied with the deal. MG told him no, he was not getting anything back that would help the Canucks now but that he had tried to find a better trade and just ran out of time, nothing better was offered. MG told Lou he wanted to accommodate his desire to return to the East and play for a team where he would have a significant role as a number one. He told Lou that he was waiting for Nonis to call back but they wanted him present in order to waive his NTC . Apparently MG and Nonis had agreed on the pieces being moved and Nonis was to call him back after doing some final things on his end. No idea what that involved, may have been ownership approval.

MG and Lou had a very short discussion about why no better offers. MG told him that moving a player of his stature was better done in the off season and not a deadline day. The new CBA was still being digested and some GM's needed time to digest the new CBA and Lou's contract before they could decide if it would work. This was the point where Lou began to get pissed off. He took the whole thing very personally. Thus his sarcasm about his contract sucking. He was disgusted with the whole thing, and insulted. Thats Lou.

Anyway, Nonis did not call back so MG called him just before the deadline expired. Nonis told him they didn't have a deal unless MG was willing to absorb 50% of the contract but that he felt he could live with a smaller number if that worked for MG. Apparently MG lost it. He had told Nonis and every other GM that it was simply non negotiable keeping any part of the contract. It became a heated exchange but I don't know what was said other than it was heated. At this point MG said no deal. Luongo was sitting there waiting to be asked to waive but it never came to that. MG pulled the deal off the table when Nonis back tracked at the last minute and demanded he keep part of the salary. It was a slimy last minute move intended to either quash the deal or strong arm MG. So when Luongo says he was never given a chance to waive he is telling the truth.

All of this is consistent with what I was told over the summer. The Leafs were using bullying tactics to try and strong arm a deal. Burke had threatened MG that when the new CBA came down it would have hold back provisions and any deal made after the new CBA the Leafs would insist on the Canucks holding back some of the contract. I think what was frustrating for MG was that he lower his demands, caved into the pressure to move Luongo for anything and the LEafs still instead on a hold back, after he thought they had a deal in principle. He would never have called Luongo out of practice early if he knew Nonis we going to pull that crap. So MG was pissed as the gamesmanship. Luongo was pissed because he thought there was a deal and he was there to waive.

After the new CBA was signed MG had said that if a deal wasn't worked out in the first few week of the season then it would probably not get done until the off season. he had told Luongo at camp that he was prepared to go the whole season with both goalies but that Luongo had every opportunity of winning the net, there was no commitment to one over the other at the start of the year. Luongo was fine staying the whole season if he had to but he wanted to get back east if at all possible. MG told him then that it might be hard to move him with the new CBA, lowering of the cap next season, until teams had a chance to absorb the details and assess their respective clubs. He had asked Luongo if he wanted him to pull him off the trade circuit until the season was over. Luongo said no, if you can work out a deal with a team in the East he'd prefer to move on sooner rather than later.

I did also hear that there never was a previous deal in place with the Leafs. Luongo was never asked at any time to waive. He has never been asked to provide a list of teams. He has had several discussion with MG about where he would like to go, teams he may not like to go to and it is geography based.

I firmly believe, as I did last summer ( hey isn't that a song) that the Leafs have deliberately leaked disinformation to obstruct this whole process. At first I thought it was simply to strong arm and get Luongo for a steal. But after this I think it is more than that. I heard some very interesting things on Kipper. It was all BS, the stories being floated around by none other than Dreger. Kipper told the Leafs days before the trade deadline that he would not report, he thanked them for their interest, but for family reason he was staying and he has every intention of retiring. He was not interested in an extension. The Leafs knew this days before April 1st but somehow Dreger gets all this info that the Leafs are close to a deal with Kipper and an extension is all but agreed upon. It was all lies. All the lies and innuendo have originated from Toronto media who have been spoon fed titbits from the Leafs. MG and Nonis weren't even on speaking terms and talks resumed because Gillman and Fletcher talked.That was instigated by the Leafs. Suspiciously just a couple of weeks before the trade deadline.

As to Luongo's emotional sate, I am told he is angry. Not at the Canucks. He is angry at the offers, angry at Nonis, angry at the process, angry at the disinformation and rumours. Like I said he takes it personally. He is also tremendously relieved that it is over for now. He is committed to doing whatever is asked of him, it whatever capacity, to help the Canucks win. He is resolved that he will not be back next season and I think that he and his agent will be given permission to talk to other teams and try and work something out once the season is over. MG has over come the obstacle of high expectations so I think a deal gets done and we all move on.

As to some of his teammates. Well, there is tremendous relief that he is still with the team. He is very popular and highly respected.

MG I think is just tired. Someone said it in another post, this luongo stuff was his main focus in the days leading up to the deadline and on deadline day. How much that may have distracted them from other deals who knows, I suspect not much, other than consume energy. But I have to think he wished he had just come out in February and said no trading of goalies until the season is over. Its what he wanted to do but tried to accommodate Luongo.

It isn't really an option at this point to trade Cory. Luongo wants to go back east and he is firm on that. I am lead to believe that he is willing to waive to any team in the East and if it is another western based team he will talk it over with his family before he rules out a deal.

so what exactly have Luongo done? Literally nothing.. on the other hand.. the management is ruining Luongo's career by forcing him into a backup role.. first they will not trade Luongo unless they get what THEY think is fair for Luongo, and now the deadline past he's still on the team forced to sit on the bench nightly. Im sure when Luongo signed the contract he's expected to play. Money isn't everything.. it's a big part.. but i'm sure Luongo would much rather play and make less.. than sit at the bench do nothing and make more.. that's 1 more year gone in his career and 1 less chance he'll get to compete and play for the stanley cup as a starter.. if anything the management screwed Luongo over by not trading Schneider few years ago when they had the chance and now end up with this debacle... and now they are screwing him over even more by not making a trade happen with whomever by still demanding a "Hockey trade"

Sure Luongo contract sux. but would you rather pay him 7 7.5mil a year at that time for a 4-5 yrs term? hell that's probably what Schneider will be commanding by the time his next contract comes around.. that's 2.5mil of cap space less to sign something that could help the team.. If Luongo signed for 7 7.5mil instead back then.. i doubt we'll be able to re-sign some of those players we have today...

What exactly has Luongo done wrong? Oh yeah, nothing that will ruin is trade value anymore than it already has been ruined. His contract would always make it hard to trade him especially with the new cba's retirement penalty.

If there's any truth to the stories floating around about what all went down on deadline day, it's really no surprise that Luongo was so emotional and lost his composure. Earlier tonight, CanucksCorner's "Hockey Widow" (who, according to some, is a legitimate Canucks "insider"--personally, I can't really vouch for her but I can't dismiss her either) posted a lengthy breakdown of the events leading up to Lu's infamous "my contract sucks" moment:

Again, it's a long read (and who can really say as to the accuracy of it all) but certainly an interesting take on what went down.

I'm gonna hide this one inside spoilers because it takes up a fair amount of space on the page:

http://www.canucksco...=9821&start=225

Fascinating stuff, if true.

At the time the contract was signed, Luo looked like he was worth every penny and perhaps more. He was the best goaltender on the planet, had everything going for him.

Then came the Chicago debacle, and suddenly everything began to fall apart. Now he's stuck in this boat.

Truth is, Luongo did himself in when he not only signed the contract, but proceeded to set himself as the Nucks "deliverer." He's gone and strapped the target upon himself, personally guaranteeing the world for Canuck nation. When he faltered, his opponents made fun of him, and his fans threw him under the bus.

I was Luongo's biggest supporter, that is until this year when he continued to put his foot in his mouth with things like "contract sucks" among other things. I think it may be healthy for him to move on if that's what he wants, but on the other hand, it's highly unlikely he can be moved. And I still kind of want to see him have a better ending.

All in all though, Luongo and the Canucks have no option but to start over and get up. Let him finish what he started by winnning a Cup in Vancouver, and then he can kiss the demons goodbye.

Wanna bet Lu is still cashing his cheques? His comment about the contract doesn't mean a lot as it was stating the obvious. I don't agree that Gillis will not be able to move him for value. The contract was front loaded and Lou still has a good 5 years of strong play left. The CAP hit works against a lot of teams but benefits others. Lu retires and the CAP hit is pro-rated between Van and whoever acquires him. It might end up being +/- $2.5 mil for each team. How much will the CAP have gone up in the next 5 -6 years? Highly likely the hit will not be that bad. Media and negociating teams jump on the theme that the contract is an albatross because it is a good story and weakens Van's trading position. I am not worried.

lol the contract sucks ... the person signing it does, be a man and grow a set. I feel for him that he didnt get traded, but if he was as good as he thinks someone would have took him...they didnt.

His contract is a god send, 64 mil and still not happy....this sucks how. The pressure is what sucks, but in sports thats really what you get paid for.....be a pro Luo.

I think his contract worth was good but I was shocked at length of term. When Luu signed this contract I was like oh well we r going to commit to Luongo for at least 5-6 yrs, I was happy we have 1 of the best locked for multiple years.

It was really sad that the media and so called fans started to throw Luu under the bus since the SCF. It was really sad letting Schneider supposedly take the reigns because he was younger, and now it is sad that the organization tried and traded Luu when he still has so much more to give. I can't believe the Organization didn't realize that Luu gives us just a good of shot of winning the cup as Schneider. I just can't believe they didn't realize with signing Schneider to a decent contract and his value that they didn't pull the trigger on him to go out and pick up another franchise player like something we need ( A scoring winger or centre).

Well i hope we can clean up this mess and hope word doesn't go around the league that the canucks organization will throw players under the bus. It funny they never threw the Sedins under the bus when they had many yrs. of their issues.

Archived