The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Vancouver Canucks and The Toronto Maple Leafs

aqua59

First off, I have a few thoughts of my own and some questions to other readers on the CDC.

I loathe anything Maple Leafs. Always have. I do remember their last Stanley Cup in 1967. Just to point out, the Vancouver Canucks have been to the final more times since joining the NHL than the Leafs have since expansion. So to Leafs fans out there your Leafs have been a flop since 1967.

Now to the latest draft and the speculation about Dave Nonis stringing Mike Gillis and the Canucks along regarding the Luongo trade.

If it's true, why did Nonis do this? Was he out to put the screws to the Canucks because of last summer and the dealings with Brian Burke and the Canucks? If it's true I've lost respect for Nonis.

In reality how far can Toronto go with it's present goal tending? How would their play off hunt looked with Luongo in net?

I'm glad Gillis still has Luongo going into this years play offs. Not many teams can boast this kind of depth in goal. Nothing can be done about the Luongo situation until the play offs are finished.

One thing I do know is that Burke, one who thinks he's classy, isn't and it appears that Nonis isn't much better. I'm glad both Burke or Nonis were fired in Vancouver. I was happy when they let them go and even happier now.

Can any one fill in some more information regarding how things have gotten so toxic between these 2 teams off the ice?

Nonis is still upset he lost his dream gig in Vancouver to Mike Gillis and decided to be a hurt "schoolboy" and deal in poor faith.

The way they reportedly handled the Luongo negotiations(if true) constantly changing the conditions was less than professional. Some will say that is how you negotiate. Maybe so but it smacks of a severe lack of professionalism.

I took great pleasure in watching Philly roll up a 5-spot the day after the deadline and personally hope it continues. Not because I don't like the Leafs; I actually enjoy watching the current Leaf team as they have some good young players. I was happy because I don't and have never really respected Dave Nonis as a GM and I thought his tactics here were very disrespectful and smelled like someone who has spent too much time as the protege of the belligerent, arrogant Burke.

With that said I do still have admiration for the Luongo trade he made while in the GM post here as well as promoting AV from the minors to coach. Two catalysts to the success we have been having. The trading picks like hockey cards and the drafting of such stellar talent like Patrick White that left us with a pretty poor prospect pool , not so much.

For the leafs, this season is just about making the playoffs. Despite what they say about oh 'we want to win the Stanley Cup', I don't think anyone really believes that they can/will, so for them, the goal is to make the playoffs.

If they do that, this season would be considered successful to them. If Reimer can't take them deep, Nonis will not be regretting the decision to not trade for Luo, because they accomplished their plan anyways.

Now... if they somehow slip and don't make the playoffs, on the other hand, that's a different story.

Face it, if Gillis gave Luongo a more reasonable contract (shorter term, slightly higher cap it) he would have been moved this past summer. Can't blame Nonis for not wanting that horrible contact.

Easy stories for the media, coupled by natural Van vs. TO hate.

I for one don't even believe that Luongo was ever going to TO. It never made any sense that he'd chose to go there. But all these stories are just too good for the media in both towns to pass up. And certainly facts will be clouded and/or made up.

I'm looking forward to the end of this silly saga, no matter what it is.

Like you say, TO has been a flop since you know when, i'll be laughing hard when they miss the playoffs AGAIN. (Although that's gonna be somewhat of a longshot.)

Gillis is incompetent because he could have gotten Kadri at the beginning of the year. But, he got greedy and wanted Bozak and a 1st along with Kadri. The deal was off the table because Gillis refused to take on half the contract. That is what Nonis wanted. He's not going to settle for less to do us a favour. He didn't like the deal so declined, plain and simple and he has every right to.

I can appreciate the fact that Nonis didn't want Luongo, but what urks me was that he waited till literally five minutes before the trade deadline to say no (although MG should have been pulling all the stops with another team then)

We'll see what happens in the off-season. Here's hoping Lu wins us a cup!

Archived