The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Vancouver Canucks and The Toronto Maple Leafs

aqua59

That is complete conjecture on Kadri and what happened during that deal. Also you are looking at it from a position of hindsight. Going into this year Kadri was in a much different position in the minds of Leafs management. Wilson and Burke had buried him in the minors and taken some pretty targeted pot shots at him in terms of his work ethic.

At that time I don't think what Gillis asked for was out of the question. In fact as a fan I would have been pissed not to see a draft pick and a couple of prospects in exchange for Luongo. Keep in mind that at that time it was Burke who was shopping. Apparently before all the negotiation was complete Luongo let it be known he was holding out for florida as he was told by the owner they were interested.

Sorry, don't agree with you but you're entitled to your opinion.

That's because Luongo isn't a backup. Players like Luongo has to play constantly to be consistent and get in the groove of things. You canopy possibly make the argument that Luongo is a backup with bad numbers. That's just extremely shortsighted. He was top 3 in the league playing most games at the begining of the season and then he stopped playing consistently. His numbers went down fast. Don't look anywhere else.

If the rumours and leaks are true ... Leafs were pursuing Kipper. Kipper said no. Remember it was Gillis who called Nonis a few days before trade deadline. Gillis then calls Nonis up at the 11th hour and offered Luongo for Scrivens and two 2nd rounds. Nonis said how about you take some of Luongo's salary? These are the rumous and leaks ... assuming that this is the story.

Just stop and think about this scenario and ask yourself, who initiated the 11:59:59 hour offer (if this is true)?

How did Nonis string Gillis along?

Gillis should thank Nonis for not accepting it because as many people said, going into playoffs with Schneid and Luongo >>>> Schneids and Scrivens. Remember, the only thing a last minute deal would have done is gotten rid of Luongo, let him play, it would not have given Canucks enough time to use cap to swing another deal.

Let's take off the homer glasses.

I actually think Gillis is a bone head for offering that at the 11th hour if it is true. Only thing I can think of to do this was for Luongo, out of respect, to find him a team to play instead of backing up. Had this deal gone through, this does nothing to better the team and I assure you, people would be screaming for Gillis' head on a platter.

Is'nt it possible that TO could miss the playoffs completely ?...Without Lupul,and the other Eastern teams making a frantic push, I would be a bit concerned...Personally,I think that Nonis missed the boat by not being able to secure a vet goalie (Kipper,Luongo).

There was a tampering charge against the Leafs involving the Sedins...I'm sure that that did'nt endear the two administrations to each other.

Is'nt it possible that TO could miss the playoffs completely ?...Without Lupul,and the other Eastern teams making a frantic push, I would be a bit concerned...Personally,I think that Nonis missed the boat by not being able to secure a vet goalie (Kipper,Luongo).

There was a tampering charge against the Leafs involving the Sedins...I'm sure that that did'nt endear the two administrations to each other.

You would have been pissed not to get draft picks along with Kadri, but you're ok with what the trade deadline deal was going to be (Scrivens + other mediocre crap)? Seems to me you were just hoping we'd get something for Luongo and for Nonis to take him off our hands. I think everyone here is just butthurt that we're still stuck with Luongo and may end up trading him for a late draft pick in the offseason because Gillis will be desperate to unload his contract. And now that we still have Luongo, you're blaming Nonis for not doing us a favour when the real person to blame is Gillis for not pulling the trigger sooner.

If you look at it from Nonis' perspective, he doesn't need Luongo. There are very little expectations for the Leafs in the playoffs (if you think Luongo is a better option which I don't) and they have two young goalies who will likely be pretty good in a few seasons. Nonis is low balling Gillis because at the end of the day, Luongo would be nice but it's not a necessity and if the price is too high, Nonis doesn't have to do anything. Gillis on the other hand is hard balling Nonis even though he's desperate to get rid of Luongo's contract. Doesn't make much sense now does it?

BTW I'm not a Leafs fan or anything but I'm also not a Canucks/Gillis homer and I try to look at things from an unbiased perspective.

If the rumours and leaks are true ... Leafs were pursuing Kipper. Kipper said no. Remember it was Gillis who called Nonis a few days before trade deadline. Gillis then calls Nonis up at the 11th hour and offered Luongo for Scrivens and two 2nd rounds. Nonis said how about you take some of Luongo's salary? These are the rumous and leaks ... assuming that this is the story.

Just stop and think about this scenario and ask yourself, who initiated the 11:59:59 hour offer (if this is true)?

How did Nonis string Gillis along?

Gillis should thank Nonis for not accepting it because as many people said, going into playoffs with Schneid and Luongo >>>> Schneids and Scrivens. Remember, the only thing a last minute deal would have done is gotten rid of Luongo, let him play, it would not have given Canucks enough time to use cap to swing another deal.

Let's take off the homer glasses.

I actually think Gillis is a bone head for offering that at the 11th hour if it is true. Only thing I can think of to do this was for Luongo, out of respect, to find him a team to play instead of backing up. Had this deal gone through, this does nothing to better the team and I assure you, people would be screaming for Gillis' head on a platter.

Again you are basing this on hindsight. Scrivens and a couple of seconds wasn't overly thrilling either. Did I say it was? I said at the time of the draft I would have liked them to get more because Burke was doing the shopping. We were in a better position. As it turned out we never got to consummate that deal as Luongo wanted to wait for Florida.

I also didn't blame Nonis I merely stated I didn't like his tactics. Where did I say I was pleased with Gillis thus being called a Canucks /Gillis homer?

Maybe try reading for comprehension? Although anyone that uses "butthurt" as a word has shown me their level of intelligence.

Ever since Nonis was let go, it stirred a beef in a wrong with with Darren Dregger and Brian Burke. IN that same calender year, when the Canucks were struggling, Brian Burke quoted saying, "Dave Nonis will do a hell of a job in Vancouver" giving him praise. He was canned shortly after the start of the playoffs. Of course that makes Burke look stupid, as he's now in the wrong. Darren Dregger also shortly trolled the Canucks, I forgot what He said, he pretty much trolled the team.

Brian Burke himself said, "I'm not a fan of the Aquillini's" Why he said this is beyond me, as the situation had nothing to do with Brian Burke any more

The following draft Year Brian Burke said don't quote him, but the Lighting was offered Burrows, 1st round pick Kevin Bieska for the 2nd pick. That is tampering.

Trevor LInden retirement night. Brian Burke quoted saying

"I would have came from anywere on the planet to come to this event" In wake of him not being invited to Linden's retirement. If you read my previous points you will know exactly why he wasn't invited. He slammed the owner ship, and tampered with the Canucks multiple times. There is also some allegations that Brian Burke was in contact with the Sedin twins prior to July 1 of 2009 *when they where to become UFA's" MIke Wilson prior to that said something in the lines about "If we sign the Sedins it will us better" Tampering no????

Derren Gregger said Dave nonis rejected 2nd round picks and Scirvs for Luongo

The day after, 1040 reported that it was the other way around, that that was Nonis's last offer for LUongo

NOw as a Canuck what do you believe?

This trade Luongo for Scrivens and 2 draft picks does not make us better right now. It doesn't why the hell will Gillis will make such a stupid offer? Do you idiots actually believe Mike Gillis willl make this offer? NO. He will never do this, so once again he gets trolled by Darren Dregger.

Karma does go around. GM's will be calling MIke Gillis, as hes friends with GM's around the leauge. THey will ask him. "Is this true?" MIke Gillis will explain the truth. Dave Nonis reputation will be reduced to some extent in negotiating in bad faith. I rather give Luongo away for a 3rd round pick that take 2 2nds and Scrivens. I seriously rather do that. frack you Dave Nonis.

I don't see these 2 teams talking much in the near future. I really don't.

If these personal issues really get in the way of doing business, Nonis should be fired. No way that should matter.

Now if you don't want to do business bc you think the other party won't come through with what they promise or pay, that is another matter entirely ;) But at the NHL GM level, that isn't even an issue.

TO are idiots though, they could have used Luongo. Would have made them a better team. I guess they are so void of prospects (guess what, Burke and Nonis have been drafting there... just like here) they couldn't part with a decent player LOL! pathetic!

now in van: at least we have some prospects that look like they can / could play. jensen, schroeder look decent. If we were desperate for a better goaltender, I would consider giving up one of them for a player like Luongo...

Unless you think Lu has lost it. outplayed in the SCF by thomas, against LA too... last 2 playoff series has been outplayed, arguably has been outplayed in all playoff series the last few years? hard to measure.

Blaming, pissed off at etc is all semantics. I use butthurt to keep things PG because I can clearly tell by the fact that you're even just a little pissed at Nonis that your maturity level just isn't quite up to par. Had to stoop to your level bud.

Nonis is still upset he lost his dream gig in Vancouver to Mike Gillis and decided to be a hurt "schoolboy" and deal in poor faith.

The way they reportedly handled the Luongo negotiations(if true) constantly changing the conditions was less than professional. Some will say that is how you negotiate. Maybe so but it smacks of a severe lack of professionalism.

I took great pleasure in watching Philly roll up a 5-spot the day after the deadline and personally hope it continues. Not because I don't like the Leafs; I actually enjoy watching the current Leaf team as they have some good young players. I was happy because I don't and have never really respected Dave Nonis as a GM and I thought his tactics here were very disrespectful and smelled like someone who has spent too much time as the protege of the belligerent, arrogant Burke.

With that said I do still have admiration for the Luongo trade he made while in the GM post here as well as promoting AV from the minors to coach. Two catalysts to the success we have been having. The trading picks like hockey cards and the drafting of such stellar talent like Patrick White that left us with a pretty poor prospect pool , not so much.

The reason he didn't like the Aquillinis was to do with his close relationship with Tom Gaglardi. Gaglardi was initially involved in the Canuck purchase with the Aquillinis and there is a strong belief that the Aquillinis' pulled a fast one and cut Gaglardi from the deal. They don't have the best reputation in business circles.

Harold Ballard is long gone.

Toronto is Canadian and the team is doing well.

Nonis is not Burke.

Gillis can call up Nonis and offer anything he likes to make it look like he is doing something at the deadline -when there is zero interest.

Bottom line is the cap is shrinking,Luo is going on 35 and his salary goes on forever.

Nonis-classy.

Gillis,his inability to trade Luongo re: Gillis + Luo s contract (and the effect on the team) -not so classy.

Archived