The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Vancouver Canucks and The Toronto Maple Leafs

aqua59

I think MG is turning into the joke of the NHL and its possible that Norris strung him along with the only intention of robbing him or walking away. But there is more teams then TO and more then a few needed goalies, I think the bottom line is MG is playing a bad game of poker at our (the Canucks fans) expense.

As far as two goalie helping us in the playoffs that the biggest crock. How many teams have won cups changing goalie in the playoffs? The reason teams don't win cups often when they change goalies is that by the time you have lost the two games (because of your goalie) you would to change goalies your chances are verry low of winning the round. Ok so you change out your hot goalie after on bad game and put in your second goalie? Not a great idea to be flip flopping goalies on game to the next unless you see a strong need (two bad games in a row) and by then it's too late.

The playoffs are about riding a hot goalie and most teams that win a cup do that, the idea of using two goalies in the playoffs is insaine. Having two good goalies in the playoffs will not help us it's just cap money wasted plain and simple.

Gillis worked behind Nonis' back to get him fired from Vancouver while publicly trashing him at every opportunity over the last 5 years and now he's upset because he didn't get a favorable deal. OK Maybe Gillis should start treating other people with respect if he wants to get value in trades. There is reason Gillis can never close any deals. Other GM's don't like the way he operates and will only deal with him if it's a fleecing (ie all the Florida or Buffalo trades). The arrogance and disrespect this orgainzations shows towards everyone across the league is affecting their ability to improve the team. This leak from the organization, regarding the Luongo issue, will cement their legacy across the league and further hurt their ability to make future trades. At least they have the local media on their pocket which should ensure brisk ticket sales for the next 5 years while this teams mires itself in mediocrity.

The whole Luongo saga has played out like a bad movie; gradually moving from 'good start', to ok' too boring, to ugly, too horrible and finally...this is sooo embarassing. Lu's contract length is ridiculously long with a cap hit that keeps on taking for many years to come. No GM wants it, especially Nonis who has two up and coming young goalies (just like Van, who also have two young goalies in Schneids and Lack). Leafs have improved significantly this year, so it won't really matter if they don't have great success in the playoffs as the fans are happy.

Lu's contract (along with Ballard, Booth and a lower cap) is going to suffocate the Nucks. Gillis can only be blamed for the Luongo and Ballard contracts (I think Booth would have been fine if he had stayed healthy). How will fans feel if Schneids has to be traded, while Raymond and Roy walk (and no UFAs brought in), due to these horrible contracts that Gillis has created/acquired?

Me thinks Gillis has to work some magic before next season...

Under the old CBA and an ever increasing cap the Lou deal would look good to any team....

The fact the NHL managed to claw back as much as they did can't be blamed on MG

Lou's contract was structured in a way that let MG keep all his important players all the while securing a top goalie for the foreseeable future.

If anything MG failed to recognize Scheids true potential, had he done that maybe a 4-6 year deal with Lou would have been struck.

Not many would have thought that within 3 years Scheids would out duel Lou.

We all seem like geniuses in hindsight, problem is GM's are paid to look into the future. Even at that MG did very well, he has 2 #1's in net.

With the cap dropping other GM's know they can out wait MG, to me that is the only real downfall in the scenario.

Lou will retire before the contract runs out, without penalty I might add. Other GM's know this as well. MG is waiting to see who really wants Lou, once more than one vulture starts circling MG will be able to get something of value.

I sure as hell hope it's to a Leaf rival and Lou kills them for years to come!!!!

Gillis worked behind Nonis' back to get him fired from Vancouver while publicly trashing him at every opportunity over the last 5 years and now he's upset because he didn't get a favorable deal. OK Maybe Gillis should start treating other people with respect if he wants to get value in trades. There is reason Gillis can never close any deals. Other GM's don't like the way he operates and will only deal with him if it's a fleecing (ie all the Florida or Buffalo trades). The arrogance and disrespect this orgainzations shows towards everyone across the league is affecting their ability to improve the team. This leak from the organization, regarding the Luongo issue, will cement their legacy across the league and further hurt their ability to make future trades. At least they have the local media on their pocket which should ensure brisk ticket sales for the next 5 years while this teams mires itself in mediocrity.

I think MG is turning into the joke of the NHL and its possible that Norris strung him along with the only intention of robbing him or walking away. But there is more teams then TO and more then a few needed goalies, I think the bottom line is MG is playing a bad game of poker at our (the Canucks fans) expense.

As far as two goalie helping us in the playoffs that the biggest crock. How many teams have won cups changing goalie in the playoffs? The reason teams don't win cups often when they change goalies is that by the time you have lost the two games (because of your goalie) you would to change goalies your chances are verry low of winning the round. Ok so you change out your hot goalie after on bad game and put in your second goalie? Not a great idea to be flip flopping goalies on game to the next unless you see a strong need (two bad games in a row) and by then it's too late.

The playoffs are about riding a hot goalie and most teams that win a cup do that, the idea of using two goalies in the playoffs is insaine. Having two good goalies in the playoffs will not help us it's just cap money wasted plain and simple.

First off, I have a few thoughts of my own and some questions to other readers on the CDC.

I loathe anything Maple Leafs. Always have. I do remember their last Stanley Cup in 1967. Just to point out, the Vancouver Canucks have been to the final more times since joining the NHL than the Leafs have since expansion. So to Leafs fans out there your Leafs have been a flop since 1967.

Now to the latest draft and the speculation about Dave Nonis stringing Mike Gillis and the Canucks along regarding the Luongo trade.

If it's true, why did Nonis do this? Was he out to put the screws to the Canucks because of last summer and the dealings with Brian Burke and the Canucks? If it's true I've lost respect for Nonis.

In reality how far can Toronto go with it's present goal tending? How would their play off hunt looked with Luongo in net?

I'm glad Gillis still has Luongo going into this years play offs. Not many teams can boast this kind of depth in goal. Nothing can be done about the Luongo situation until the play offs are finished.

One thing I do know is that Burke, one who thinks he's classy, isn't and it appears that Nonis isn't much better. I'm glad both Burke or Nonis were fired in Vancouver. I was happy when they let them go and even happier now.

Can any one fill in some more information regarding how things have gotten so toxic between these 2 teams off the ice?

Archived