The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] VAN likely to host 2014 Heritage Classic at BC Place vs. EDM

samirjaver

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta/dp130407.html

There is a good chance we'll also witness an outdoor game north of the border.

The Heritage Classic is expected to make its return next season, as well. This too, is not yet final, as every Canadian market has expressed an interest to host this event, but the front-runner is still believed to be Vancouver, with the Edmonton Oilers as the possible opponent.

The initial plan for the Heritage Classic -- which will occur at BC Place in Vancouver, unless something changes -- is to schedule the game after the Olympic break. There is a chance that plan could change, however, but details are limited at this point.

An NHL source told me earlier today the League is expected to make a formal announcement as early as the end of the regular-season, or at some point in the early part of the playoffs.

Isn't the heritage classic supposed to be outdoors? Isn't that the whole point of it?

Don't get me wrong, it will be awesome to see BC place full of Canucks fans. Something tells me we're going to hear alot of whining from the rest of Canada though. :lol:

Ya, as far as "Heritage" is to be taken literally... Vancouver has little in the way of an outdoor hockey "Heritage". If they have good enough equipment to keep the ice at quality, then I'm all for it! If they have it in BC Place and it is pouring out, they can always close the roof (which would suck, but at least they could still play!).

They should only have one of these a year, the Winter Classic! that's it, do the HBO thing, build it up, make it mean something.

Also am I the only one that feels the Heritage Classic is a bone the NHL throws to Canadian markets because they really prefer not to have them involved in the much more important Winter Classic? which I find ironic considering how important Canada is to the NHL.

Archived