The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is Tanev worth come next year

I have been hearing from multiple people that Chris Tanev is worth 2+million a year. That is hard to believe base on his point production. He is a great defensive defenceman I would be the first to say that but still needs to improve offensively. This is his first year as a full timer and a good one it is. I was thinking that we could sign Tanev to a one or two year deal at 1.1 - 1.5 mill per yrs. At this price it is cap friendly for the year or two we have him. Furthermore, come his second contract negotiation session, if he has shown consistently that he can be reliable defensively and produce more offensively then he can cash in.

He's good, no doubt about it. That being said, 2 million would be the max the Canucks should be paying at this point in time.

He's solid defensively, but it's not like he's a shutdown guy playing against the top lines, nor is he contributing offensively. If he could do either, he be earning 3-4 million range. Do both and he'll be an all-star, earning Alex Edler money (or more if some team throws money at him).

it all depends on how long of a contract the canucks want to do.

If they just want a 2 year bridge contract then 1-1.5mil would be fair.

If the canucks want to buy a few more years and get cost certainty than they are going to pay a premium for that and probably pay 2-2.25 a year on a 4 or 5 year term.

He won't even get that much. I love Tanev, but he doesn't have much to argue with when negotiating for a contract. He's an RFA who doesn't put points, doesn't hit, can't shoot, not an obvious PMD or shutdown guy.....

Now I know he's incredibly valuable to this team. But guys like McBain and Mark Fayne were RFAs and their in the 1.3-1.8 range. Even PK Subban and Del Zotto's cap hits are ~2.5 million. Tanev doesn't have the pedigree of those guys.

Matt Irwin is his closes comparable and he got 1 million. Maybe Tanev gets 1.1 or 1.2, but he will sign a bridge contract. 2 years, 1 million per.

It's probably better for the Canucks to have a cost controlled player. We need him to be solid and NOT put up points. Otherwise they'll have to pay him more and the Canucks are already having dangerous cap problems.

Archived