The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about Luongos contract

ahf149

We all know that his contract is bad and is virtually un tradeable. I am curious, Is it legal if both parties agree, Luongo retires for a full year, goes and plays in Europe or where ever for a year, the Canucks pay out his contract and its void?

Could he come back to the NHL, sign a one year deal with the Canucks say for 2 million bucks or whatever...and then trade him?? (Both parties would have to agree of course). By then Flordia would be willing to trade him, he would get his money and his contract would be void, and he could live happily ever after in Flordia....Would that be legal??

yeah it would be like a gentlemens deal...the Canucks dont completely lose out on letting him retire. I dont know if its illegal, because hockey players have retired in the past and they have come back and signed new contracts. How would this be any different??

Someone like Elvis would probably have the fully correct answer. But I believe that Lou could pull a Bure, withdraw his services & holdout. This would allow the Canucks to void his contract when Lou was breaching the terms. That would take the cap off our books, which is, I think, what you are suggesting?

Just my guess; I don't think teams in Europe would pick him up while he has a valid contract though...

But we can only void the contract after he is waived through the league waiver process. So a team could also pick him up for free. They also get responsibility for the contract, just in case he wanted to come back and honour receiving the $40 odd million owed him. (I'm guessing he reports if picked up on waivers ;) ). Same difference to us, we're still rid of the contract.

:rolleyes: I think it's pretty funny that people think we would find a way to waive or get rid of his contract, and then he would sign here (when he was free to sign anywhere) for a reasonable contract just so we could trade him... :huh:

We all know that his contract is bad and is virtually un tradeable. I am curious, Is it legal if both parties agree, Luongo retires for a full year, goes and plays in Europe or where ever for a year, the Canucks pay out his contract and its void?

Could he come back to the NHL, sign a one year deal with the Canucks say for 2 million bucks or whatever...and then trade him?? (Both parties would have to agree of course). By then Flordia would be willing to trade him, he would get his money and his contract would be void, and he could live happily ever after in Flordia....Would that be legal??

so the management wasted 1yr of his career already.. and then u want him to waste another year of his career just to benefit the canucks even if that contract thingy is legal?? oh i'm sure he loves the city and the team so much he's willing to sacrifice his career to benefit them

No

Someone like Elvis would probably have the fully correct answer. But I believe that Lou could pull a Bure, withdraw his services & holdout. This would allow the Canucks to void his contract when Lou was breaching the terms. That would take the cap off our books, which is, I think, what you are suggesting?

Just my guess; I don't think teams in Europe would pick him up while he has a valid contract though...

But we can only void the contract after he is waived through the league waiver process. So a team could also pick him up for free. They also get responsibility for the contract, just in case he wanted to come back and honour receiving the $40 odd million owed him. (I'm guessing he reports if picked up on waivers ;) ). Same difference to us, we're still rid of the contract.

:rolleyes: I think it's pretty funny that people think we would find a way to waive or get rid of his contract, and then he would sign here (when he was free to sign anywhere) for a reasonable contract just so we could trade him... :huh:

so he's going to give up 40million dollar by going to europe if that's even an option just come back and sign for 2million with the canucks just so they can trade him and lose out on probably 30milion?? ask any player to lose out on 60% of their career earning to help out their team see if anyone will do it.. bet you Linden wouldn't even do that as much as he loves the city.

when you gotta ask on CDC if it's legal or not...

you know that it's a stupid, farfetched idea.

If we force Luongo to retirement in Europe and he comes back, you really think he'll sign back with us just so we can trade him, after we screwed him over. No he'll sign with the Hawks/Oilers just so he can come kick the crap out of us.

if the canucks buy him out, it will cost them 2 mil a year for 18 years...they would be better off paying a mil of his salary in a trade...personally, i think the league and nhlpa should let the two sides sign a new contract....that would solve every thing.

if the canucks buy him out, it will cost them 2 mil a year for 18 years...they would be better off paying a mil of his salary in a trade...personally, i think the league and nhlpa should let the two sides sign a new contract....that would solve every thing.

Archived