The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 30 Canadian Players of All-Time - #16

-AJ-

#16 Canadian Player of All-Time  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*Note - I'm gonna be gone for the weekend until Sunday night, just so y'all know.

Guy Lafleur won with 42.86% of the votes.

Mikita had three nominations, S. Niedermayer and Hainsworth both had two.

Stan Mikita was added to the list.

Congratulations to Guy Lafleur for being named the #15 Canadian Player of All-Time!

We are going with the Country the player played for internationally.

Please remember to nominate someone to be added to the voting list!

The List:

#1 - Wayne Gretzky

#2 - Bobby Orr

#3 - Mario Lemieux

#4 - Gordie Howe

#5 - Maurice Richard

#6 - Patrick Roy

#7 - Martin Brodeur

#8 - Steve Yzerman

#9 - Joe Sakic

#10 - Mark Messier

-------------------------

#11 - Mike Bossy

#12 - Doug Harvey

#13 - Bobby Hull

#14 - Ray Bourque

#15 - Guy Lafleur

For the third time, I'm voting for Eddie Shore, four-time Hart Trophy winner and in my opinion the top player in the first 25 years of the NHL. He was basically the ideal defenseman. He could hit, fight, score, and defend. He could do it all.

one_shore01.jpg

I'm nominating Denis Savard. Looking at his stats I'm amazed at how he never got onto our Top 50 players of All-Time list. Five 100+ point seasons, including one 131-point season. He finished with 1,338 points, which ranks 28th All-Time (21st among Canadians).

JOFA+266+denis+savard+canadiens.jpg

Voted Beliveau

Once again nominating Habs legend goalie George Hainsworth. For those of you saying George who read this:

* Despite playing in the 1920's and 30's (before masks and large pads) Hainsworth still holds the NHL record for most shutouts in a single season with 22. Hainsworth only played 44 games that season which means he averaged a shut out every other game!!

* His 94 career NHL shutouts are third on the NHL's all-time list behind Martin Brodeur's 116 and Terry Sawchuk's 103.

* He has the second lowest career goals against average in the NHL with 1.93, behind Alex Connell's 1.91.

* Holds the NHL single-season goals against average record with 0.92 in 1928–29.

* won the first ever Vezina throphy ever awarded and two more after that.

* ranked 46th on the Hockey News list of all time greatest hockey players

* won 2 Stanley Cups

* In 1930 he set an NHL record that still stands, going 270 minutes and 8 seconds without allowing a goal during the playoffs for the Canadiens

* one of only 8 goalies to ever serve as team captain.

Voting Jean Beliveau. Led the Canadians to the longest dynasty in nhl history - 5 straight cups.

Nominating Ted Lindsay

formed a dynamite line with Gordie Howe

won 4 stanley cups as part of the Detroit Red Wings in the 50's

won the Art Ross in 1950

formed the NHLPA, at great risk and at a time when players got little money or rights

Is this list restricted to retired players? Crosby's gotta be in the top 15 in my opinion: hart, rocket richard, Art ross, Lesber B Pearson, 2 Gold medals (need not remind of the golden goal), youngest captain to win a stanley cup(?), over 600 points in 434 games played. He's still got 10-15 years left in him.

Crosby is on pace to easily crack top 15 by the time he retires in a decade or so.

Is this list restricted to retired players? Crosby's gotta be in the top 15 in my opinion: hart, rocket richard, Art ross, Lesber B Pearson, 2 Gold medals (need not remind of the golden goal), youngest captain to win a stanley cup(?), over 600 points in 434 games played. He's still got 10-15 years left in him.

Crosby is on pace to easily crack top 15 by the time he retires in a decade or so.

Archived