The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated again] Higgins, Booth, Bieksa, Tanev

Could be playing mind games too. We don't know at this point.

Gillman " We will probalby see Higgins back before the playoffs"

A.V "He will not be ready by game 1"

Gillman " Tanev should be ready by game 1"

A.V "he might be back by round 2"

Gillis "I am confident everyone will be back for the playoffs"

mind games, I tell ya. I don't like that game.

Booth is a write-off. We've played the season without him. Even if he does come back, it's probably the 4th line, honestly.

Bieksa is apparently not even injured. So no worries there, I hope.

Tanev will be missed, but Alberts' size will be welcomed with open arms. Ballard was pretty solid last year in the play-offs. If he can repeat, we're golden on D.

Higgins is the biggest deal. A good 3rd liner/meh second liner.

Overall, we're golden as far as health goes. Knock on wood.

From a coaching perspective, I think it makes a lot of sense to tell both the media and public, as well as your dressing room, that you won't have players back even if you think there is a chance they may actually be available.

"We will win with what we have in this locker room. Look around, you will live or die with each other. Don't look for salvation from outside, it'll only come from yourselves."

Or something to that effect.

If they aren't ready to come back then you've mentally prepared your team for the battle in front of them and everyone can concentrate on their roles. If you leave the door open for hope that there may be reinforcements then a psychological effect comes in where you are waiting to get help, and if it doesn't arrive or be effective then it is a let down.

Guest Dasein

Booth has the cast off. Great. Now he needs to rehab for a few weeks then get into game shape. Should be ready in a little over a month or so. He will definitely miss the 1st round, but may be available half way through the 2nd round if we are still playing playoff hockey (which, we should be).

Higgins will be back some time in the 1st round. Also great news. We need him.

Tanev may miss the 1st round entirely. I don't mind that. But if Bieksa is also injured, this could prove to be problematic, as we don't have that many natural right-side defensemen to begin with. In fact, Tanev and Bieksa are the only two.

With the exception of Garrison who will be on the top pairing with Hamhuis, we don't have another top 4 defenseman that can play on their off side with Edler on the 2nd pairing. Alberts will be the #1 candidate. That means Ballard will play the 3rd pairing with whoever fits the bill on his right side.

My hopes? Frank Corrado steps in a la Tanev in 2011. Give this kid a few games in the AHL right now to get accustomed to playing against men, then bring him up. Ballard was great with Tanev, he will be great with Corrado. If he is ready, I would love to see him step into the roster.

Having Corrado test the waters in the Play-offs is pretty iffy, though. Tanev had some regular season games, first, at the very least.

Of course, you never know.

I'm under the impression that Vandermeer will get the call once the Wolves are officially out of the play-off race.

Booth has the cast off. Great. Now he needs to rehab for a few weeks then get into game shape. Should be ready in a little over a month or so. He will definitely miss the 1st round, but may be available half way through the 2nd round if we are still playing playoff hockey (which, we should be).

Higgins will be back some time in the 1st round. Also great news. We need him.

Tanev may miss the 1st round entirely. I don't mind that. But if Bieksa is also injured, this could prove to be problematic, as we don't have that many natural right-side defensemen to begin with. In fact, Tanev and Bieksa are the only two.

With the exception of Garrison who will be on the top pairing with Hamhuis, we don't have another top 4 defenseman that can play on their off side with Edler on the 2nd pairing. Alberts will be the #1 candidate. That means Ballard will play the 3rd pairing with whoever fits the bill on his right side.

My hopes? Frank Corrado steps in a la Tanev in 2011. Give this kid a few games in the AHL right now to get accustomed to playing against men, then bring him up. Ballard was great with Tanev, he will be great with Corrado. If he is ready, I would love to see him step into the roster.

Archived