The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are going to get rid of in order to.......

RoyBaby

I think you are getting carried away.

Roy has only played a handful of games and frankly after the experiences of some other "CDC pant wetters" on here I'll reserve judgement until firstly, a settled position (and line mates) is found for him and secondly we see how he does in the playoffs.

My first reaction was and still is that he is too small. We needed someone with Roy's hockey sense but attached to a much bigger body.

I am not keen to get rid of ANYONE in order to sign a player, at extortionate salary apparently, who YET AGAIN falls short of what we actually need.

We are in danger of second/third choice-ing our way to mediocrity.

Personally, Im hoping he understands the concept here and, If he likes the team and its outlook, can sacrifice some money to stay. He is what this team was back in 2010. Fast, creative, gritty and intelligent. If only we could get everyone back on that page with Roy in there we would stay a highly effective and successful team. If he has the "American Greed" mentality (and rightfully so) then I dont see him donning the Blue, Green and White after the season is over.

No we need to start coming up with ideas to find a way to keep him here.

Booth-Kesler-Roy is an absolutely disgusting line up and in order to "achieve" this, we need to stop being worried about hurting feelings and make it happen.

The third line is fine. We don't really need them. We just need really high energy players that are just happy to be on the ice and will fight to keep playing. The first 2 lines will be more than sufficient and 3rd and 4th should just be buffer lines for the first 2 to rest. Having 2 lines with a bunch of Lapierre's is a great way to save money and allow the elite players to do their thing.

I know some dweeb is gonna be like, "omg Roy Baby, we need diversity and people to produce on the 3rd and 4th, we need depth ! gay.gif "

Not really. Look at Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Chicago. They are running this system and it is working.

Now were back discussing what we "need" to keep him..another point tonight ?? :lol::lol::lol:

Definitely fair to say that since I've been registered here I've been 6/6 on predictions and now calculating player worth. Instead of running analysis on finance I should be gettin paid to run them on hockey prospects. At a 100 percent efficiency rate I am more than qualified and like most analysts and GMs...hard to argue with a perfect percentag my nicca

Now were back discussing what we "need" to keep him..another point tonight ?? :lol::lol::lol:

Definitely fair to say that since I've been registered here I've been 6/6 on predictions and now calculating player worth. Instead of running analysis on finance I should be gettin paid to run them on hockey prospects. At a 100 percent efficiency rate I am more than qualified and like most analysts and GMs...hard to argue with a perfect percentag my nicca

Click thread title to read post

Who are we going to get rid of in order to keep Roy? It's obvious.... Roy has been the best thing to happen to this team in years and is exactly the type of players we should have been looking. It seems like most of the players on the team minus Kes, Sedins, and Schneider are just "missing" something. They are "good" players, but too many times we think, "If only ___________ was more _________, then he would be incredible". Roy is a complete package and when Booth comes back, it would be a scary line with Roy and Kesler....they would just completely body everyone and it would be like having 2 first lines.

But..... he is asking for a lot of $$$$$ which he should because he is at that level.

So who is it that should go?

I am thinking Raymond, Kassian, Lu, Ballard, and Shroeder just to trim the fat, open some cap space, and get a few prospects (just gotta make sure they are actually good this time)

Thoughts? Concerns? Let's hear it! no weird or troll posts please.

As much as I like Roy, I honestly don't see him re-signing here in the summer. He would be a great fit, but with 2 other top-line centres already inked here, I doubt he wants to play the wing. That plus the fact that Roy is a top-line centre, and will command that kind of money.

I would give him Kesler money but he should ask manny to teach him face offs if he wants to be a top 6 Center quality minutes bumping kes to a wing on either line. Alot of you are delusional in your praise Derek Roy is not the complete package. Things that lack: toughness, face offs, shut down ability ( reach), aggressiveness, or energy.. Show us more and we can talk t1c money

Guys relax. MG and LG have it under control.

Going into next year, we are at 63.5 in payroll.

getting rid of Booth, Ballard Lu = 13.8m cap space bringing us to a payroll of 49.7

Cap goes down by 5.9m to 64.3m leaving us 14.6 m in cap space

We use Lack (750k) as back up leaving us with 13.85m left to sign 6 forwards (including 1 spare) and 2 defencemen (1 spare)

From the expired contracts, we will probably resign Tanev (1.5), Lappy (1.3), and have Schroeder with the big club (1.025)

That leaves us 10.025 to sign 4 forwards and a spare defencemen (750k).

If our 7th d-man only costs 750k, we would have 9.275 to sign 4 forwards including 1 spare. If we signed Weise (750k), Sestito (750k), Pini (725k), it would leave us with 7.05m cap space to sign 1 more forward. Roy?

Now here's the exciting part...

if we are able to get Roy to sign for 5.5 and we sign 2 of the 3 between Weise, Sestito and Pini at 700k each, we would have 2.375 left to re-sign Mason Raymond.

Line up would then be

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Roy Kesler

Raymond Lappiere Hansen

Kassian Shroeder Weise

Pini or Sestito

Hamhuis Garrison

Edler Tanev

Bieksa Corrado

7th d-man

Schneider

Lack

My main point is, we have tons of cap space for next year guys so lets just let LG and MG do their job.

No one, Toronto will throw MASSIVE money at Roy to play with Kessel and JVR next year, TO still lacks that No 1 Center they've been looking for (Kadri is their 2C), and Toronto is closer to Roy's home in Ottawa... this move will be a win win for both sides

JVR Roy Kessel

Lupul Kadri Kulemin

that will be their top 6

I like Roy, but I want to see how he manages the rough and physical play in the playoffs. He didn't play nearly as well against StL and it will be interesting to see how he does against Ana. The western conference may not be a good fit for a smaller, skilled player. He seems to have a preference to play back east as well. I wouldn't want to see the Nucks put out more than Kes $, that's for sure.

Archived