The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Jimi Hendrix Album Released 4 Decades After His Death

TOMapleLaughs

Jimi Hendrix is dead but not forgotten. His posthumous album “People, Hell and Angels,” opened at No. 2 on the Billboard album chart this week, selling 72,000 copies more than four decades after he died. The last time one of Hendrix’s albums charted so high was back in 1968, when “Electric Ladyland” spent two weeks at No. 1.

The album contains 12 studio recordings of blues-rock songs Hendrix made in the two years before his death, most of them after his original trio with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell broke up. Four of the tracks come from sessions with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox, the lineup known as the Band of Gypsys.

Yeah man, listening to icebergradio-site I heard a track(forget which), & damn, it hit me hard! Felt it stood up nicely with all the Hendrix standards, we're all familiar with. It's interesting how you consider Hendrix's work could have been released, & would have been marveled at, in virtually any decade. The guy was so far ahead of the game, it's truly humbling-must be for anyone who's ever played.

For those who didn't know, apparently Jimi spent 1 year of early elementary school in Vancouver(where his gp's resided). Anyone remember the school name?

To you youngins, this is a music God who commands respect. Remember reading(believe the bio was "'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky"); he was supposedly so innovative.

I think it was the tune "Angel", where he plugged his axe into an organ to get some mesmerizing new sound.

To paraphrase the legendary guitarist Jeff Beck(Rolling Stone interview), who saw him play some British club when he first arrived in England..."I heard about this cat, so I went to see myself...He controlled the room with his sound,it was the loudest I'd ever heard music, live"..."At the end, when he stopped there was smoke coming out of the amps. I'll never forget it." I went home to my flat & looked at my guitar & thought, f--k, what am I gonna do with the rest of my life?

Such powerful words from musical peers/essentially competition...How often does one hear such honesty?

Clapton cried when he heard Jimi for the first time in England. He knew he would never be regarded as the best ever.

It wasn't just the speed, the tone or the effects which Jimi pioneered; it was the musical perfection of the chord progressions easing into unique, ultra-difficult, but beautiful solos that sent Jimi into the realm of a modern-era Mozart.

I laugh when i listen to today's so-called 'guitar gods', Jack White and John Mayer. Like, that's it? But really, what can they do? I doubt any guitar player will ever measure up to Jimi's standards. Besides, the instrument is gradually fading away as music with no soul has virtually taken over the airwaves.

Scratch that. 1. Jimi. 2. Some 8yr old from China. 3. Clapton. 4. Vaughn.

Supposedly I'm related to him.

I can only imagine how good he would have gone on to be had he lived.

I think Bootsy Collins, who took much of Hendrix's style and swag and pushed it to cartoonish levels, was a better artist though, if not quite as talented a guitarist.

Jimmy Hendrix will always carry more weight though based on the fact that he'll probably always be the standard by which other guitarists are measured, and for being one of the key musical figures in the counterculture era.

As both Jimi and SRV died before they could make poor albums they are locked into our minds at the height of their careers, this skews our view.

SRV

Clapton

Satriani

Chet Atkins

B B King

Robert Cray

Jeff Beck

Randy Bachman

Hendrix

David Gilmour

Depending on my mood they all hit #1 on the list.

Try listening to

blue Collar

Looking out for # 1

And Jazz Thing- his disc of jazz music dedicated iirc to Lenny Breau. Damm fine guitar work- and a dude that worked his talent without having to use nose candy or dying of an overdose.

Barrel scrapings to be sure but even Hendrix barrel scrapings are wonderful things when compared to modern day guitar "heroes" like Slash or SRV (compare Jimi's "Voodoo Child" to Stevie's; Jimi's is way better) or the millions of guitar gymnasts (Satriani, Vai etc.) who operate guitars more than they play them. Also to the poster above "Angel" was not even nearly the first time a "guitar had been played through an organ" (that is to say Leslie speaker). Musicians had been doing that for quite awhile.

One thing that even knowlegable musicos don't realize is that Hendrix's tone was different than all those other guys playing Strats for an obvious reason; the lead pickup was upside down which meant that instead of the angle of the pickup accentuating the treble it accentuates the bass. Try playing a lefty Strat strung right handed; it is an astonishingly good sound (see the cover of Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle"; he used one for years).

Archived