The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC STHS Hockey League (Season 3)

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

To medium.png: Morgan Reilly, Mark Scheifele, CGY 2015 4th Round Pick

To medium.png: Braydon Coburn, Malte Stromwall (uncreated), TOR 2015 5th Round Pick

Terrible, terrible trade.

Calling for a veto on this one, does anyone agree?

To medium.png: Morgan Reilly, Mark Scheifele, CGY 2015 4th Round Pick

To medium.png: Braydon Coburn, Malte Stromwall (uncreated), TOR 2015 5th Round Pick

I don't think it is that bad. Mark Scheifele is the main asset in the deal, but is being out-performed by 4 guys in the AHL making him movable (IMO). Morgan Reilly's 2 assists won't be missed considering I have Kichton and Savard already better offensively and defensively. I gave them up for something I don't have in Coburn - someone who will be useful at both ends of the ice and is still <30. IMO I overpaid, but not to the extent that it appears. Flame on...

I think Vetos are bad for the league, more so then a bad trade..

I would rather look at the GM who traded away his players then a Veto. Maybe the GM needs to have his traded approved till he can prove he has the ability to trade appropriately.

Terrible, terrible trade.

Calling for a veto on this one, does anyone agree?

I would rather look at the GM who traded away his players then a Veto. Maybe the GM needs to have his traded approved till he can prove he has the ability to trade appropriately.

That in the bold precisely. Yea at first I thought it was a bad trade, but the GM himself has justified the move. It would be one thing if he never knew what he did and the deal went through, but he does so it's his move as GM and he gets to do so rightfully. Although it may not seem like the most sense making deal, to him he gets something in Coburn which he doesn't have so I'm okay with the deal after knowing Lahey knows what he did.

I think its more a product of the market than a bad move on lahey's part. At any time in the season, no more than a handful of teams are selling top 6/top 4 assets, I mean how many times do we see gm's post that they are looking for that with nothing coming of it due to no supply. So when one becomes available, the price to acquire it is going to be much more than "normal" especially for a guy at the prime age of his career.

Before this trade, I have had none of my trades critiqued because they made sense for both sides. As lax said, I paid the market price for a defenseman in his prime. I knowingly overpaid to acquire a defenseman I wanted and in no way am I doing something bad for the league. It's not like I am trading top prospects for garbage - I traded assets away, I gained assets at the market price.

Before this trade, I have had none of my trades critiqued because they made sense for both sides. As lax said, I paid the market price for a defenseman in his prime. I knowingly overpaid to acquire a defenseman I wanted and in no way am I doing something bad for the league. It's not like I am trading top prospects for garbage - I traded assets away, I gained assets at the market price.

I was speaking on the conversation of alternatives to a veto. Not directly about you as a GM. Was just offering different options because a Veto is a really terrible idea.

I was a tough critique of this trade, but after re-thinking it I think it should be allowed. I myself have made one or two (depending on opinion) questionable trades to bring in players I wanted. One of those players was Phil Kessel. One of my favourite players in the game. It was my first trade in STHS. I overpaid for him, but he has been gold on this team.

Learning curves are everywhere and it's up to the GM to learn from mistakes and move on, or to prove everyone wrong.

Honestly, I was on the short end of a few trades early on in my STHS career back in MTL and there were no Vetoes/Safety-net for me, I had to fight to rebuild that team into something half respectable and I believe it made me a better GM over the long term as well as giving me a new found respect for the teams that choose to take weaker teams from day 1.

Honestly, I was on the short end of a few trades early on in my STHS career back in MTL and there were no Vetoes/Safety-net for me, I had to fight to rebuild that team into something half respectable and I believe it made me a better GM over the long term as well as giving me a new found respect for the teams that choose to take weaker teams from day 1.

Pretty much this

Archived