The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Islanders Young Guns vs Oilers Young Guns

Islanders, because they have an NHL goaltender and some decent defencemen.

You could throw Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos on the same team, but they're not making the playoffs with AHL-level defencemen and goaltenders. The Islanders are a far more complete team than the Oilers, mostly because of free agent acquisitions where it counts - at defence and in goal.

I personally like the Islanders better. In the WJC when Tavares was playing he dominated the opposition and RNH even with a year of NHL experience did not look the same as Tavares in the tournament when it was his draft year. WJC doesn't always translate into the NHL, but if you compare Hall, RNH, Yakupov to Tavares when they played in the WJC then you can see that Tavares was clearly the more dominant player.

Guest Dasein

Tavares put the franchise on his back and made them a playoff team in 4 years all by himself with the help of Streit.

Eberle and Hall had 3 years together to get into the playoffs, but failed. the last 2 years, they also had the help of RNH, and this year, Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov.

Tavares is just on another level compared to any of the Oilers players - in terms of maturity, leadership, accountability, and skill. Islanders not only have a superstar in their hands, but a leader.

Oilers? Who will step up for them to be a future captain? Hall is too immature, RNH is too young and soft, and Eberle, although clutch, has not shown captain-esque leadership to get the team going when the going gets tough.

That's why Islanders are better - they have a leader in Tavares who sets the bar high and holds everyone accountable. He gets everyone on the same page and leads by example. Oilers, on the other hand, are a bunch of kids that aren't held accountable.

Guest Dasein

I don't understand how Stanley cup Rings translates into qualified management. It sure as hell didn't work out for him, as a coach, doesn't the management side of things totally different?

Anyways Oilers core for me. Kinda close though.

I don't understand how Stanley cup Rings translates into qualified management. It sure as hell didn't work out for him, as a coach, doesn't the management side of things totally different?

Anyways Oilers core for me. Kinda close though.

Archived