The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Leaked] The Vancouver Sun/ The Province buyout memo

canuckbeliever

I have been paying for the Saturday Sun for the past few years, but only the Saturday paper. After a few months of that I got a letter saying how great a customer I am and for that they'll send me the paper 6 days a week for the same price, for 6 months to see if I like it. So, they do that and then in 6 months I get a phone call asking if I want to pay for the upgrade to 6 days a week. I say no. No joke, 2 or 3 months later I get another letter saying how great a customer I am and that they'll send me the paper 6 days a week for 6 months for the same price. Repeat that for 2 or 3 years now. No wonder they're losing money, they're giving it away.

I have been paying for the Saturday Sun for the past few years, but only the Saturday paper. After a few months of that I got a letter saying how great a customer I am and for that they'll send me the paper 6 days a week for the same price, for 6 months to see if I like it. So, they do that and then in 6 months I get a phone call asking if I want to pay for the upgrade to 6 days a week. I say no. No joke, 2 or 3 months later I get another letter saying how great a customer I am and that they'll send me the paper 6 days a week for 6 months for the same price. Repeat that for 2 or 3 years now. No wonder they're losing money, they're giving it away.

Print is becoming an endangered animal. Newspapers, magazines, all dealing with rapidly declining subscriber and advertising bases. Most will not survive.

Im old enough that when I was a kid I delivered the morning paper for a number of years in Gordon Head in Victoria. An hour each morning for $80 a month (that was a lot of money for a 13 year old kid back then) Im kinda sad to see it go but its always been an adapt or perish world. In nature and in business.

Archived