The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1000+ Die In Bangladesh Textile Building Collapse - Cheap Labour?

DonLever

My thoughts go out to those families who have been affect by this unfortunate event. It's sad to see such events happening. Although there were "only" 161 deaths, there are many more that have been affected by the incident. The family members of the deceased could easily multiply the number of victims to 500, 600 people.

Seeing such incidents make me appreciate my life even more. While I'm living comfortably in the West, there are many underpaid workers suffering in undeveloped countries.

My thoughts go out to those families who have been affect by this unfortunate event. It's sad to see such events happening. Although there were "only" 161 deaths, there are many more that have been affected by the incident. The family members of the deceased could easily multiply the number of victims to 500, 600 people.

Seeing such incidents make me appreciate my life even more. While I'm living comfortably in the West, there are many underpaid workers suffering in undeveloped countries.

You're right. We have no cause to whine and bitch in this country, a place where millions if not billions would give anything to live. But, don't forget,it's these poor underpriveledged slaves that enable us all to enjoy our paradise.

I'm actually a bit torn about the calls for boycott. This seems to be an issue of general poor infracstructure in Bangladesh, not something unique to the garment industry or really having anything to do with general conditions in the garment industry.

Generally, I buy only NA, Japanese, and Western European made goods, not only due to labour issues, but due to quality issues as well. However, I think the issue is a little more complex, than saying we need to boycott all 3rd world goods. Boycotting Bangladeshi goods is just going to further tank their encomy and make working conditions worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived