The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antti Niemi thinks we were lucky 2 years ago...

Understand

I remember that night like it was yesteryear. I was at a Boston's in Irving, Texas watching the game with other Nucks fans when a huge storm hit and we were herded into the kitchen. While everyone else was panicking because of an approaching tornado, I calmly sipped my Molson and followed the game on my phone via the Nucks app. Once the storm passed, it was OT and soon after we were all celebrating and going crazy. A memorable night it was and lucky or not, I will never forget it. BTW, it does not take luck to win a series in 5 or 6.

I'm sorry, there were maybe 2 lucky goals that entire series. The Canucks absolutely dominated the Sharks on the powerplay - the Sedins and Salo slapped their PK and Niemi around like a rag-doll, and Luongo stool on his head. That was the difference - special teams and goaltending.

If anything, Niemi got lucky 3 years ago when he won the Cup. Posted a 2.6-something GAA in the playoffs, got ventilated some nights but had the most stacked team in front of him in the cap-illegitimate Blackhawks scoring 5 a night in front of him. He was clutch at times, lucky at others.

2 wars? 7 games vs chicago first 3 chicago didnt show up ,games 4-6 canucks didnt show up game 7 was the only real playoff style game in that entire series... then we played nashville.... san jose was in a slobber knocker vs LA round 1 and then got dragged 7 games by detriot san jose definitly had the harder of the first 2 rounds.

the series winning goal was one of the luckiest goals of all time, if not the luckiest.. a bounce off the stanchion to send you to the cup finals lol i was like everyone on the ive and didnt even see it go in in real time. Bieksa was probably the only person in the province that did

the series was a spanking though, you dont lose in 5 games and say the other team got lucky lol

luongo went to game 7 with a 2.56 GAA haha not too far off ,seeing is how niemi had only played 42 career regular season games combined from 08-09 and 09-10 befor those playoffs id say he did pretty well.

Archived