The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Musician Thread

-AJ-

So I was playing a bunch of piano today and it occurred to me. Are they any CDCers who play musical instruments at all?

I used to play in my school band, from Grade 7 to Grade 12. I started out playing the Clarinet, but I my overpowering testosterone drove me to try out the Bass Clarinet at the beginning of Grade 9. I played that in the Concert band all the way through to Grade 12.

I also played in our School's Jazz band with the Tenor Sax. My main reason for choosing it was that I knew it was in the same key as the Bass Clarinet. I assumed that this meant that the fingerings would be the same. I assumed incorrectly. Regardless, I loved playing in the Jazz Band (despite early morning practices).

As previously mentioned, I also play the piano a bit. I've never had lessons, but I've taught myself over the years. I started out slowly around 7 years old and slowly progressed. In recent years I've improved a fair bit, though I'm still not an amazing talent or anything.

Also, for the piano, I prefer to memorize songs rather than read sheet music all the time.

So what instruments do you guys play? Piano? Voice? Guitar? Do you play often? What's your musical history like?

I've played drums for the past 5 years and played guitar off and on for about 10 years now.

I started out just with the guitar for a couple years but never really got too serious with it. A few years later I picked up the bass in the grade 7 band and did that for the year but nothing more and went back to just the guitar for a few years.

5 years ago now I was able to get into the drums. I really always wanted to play the drums from the start but was never able to get a set so obviously when I was finally able to I took it a lot more seriously. I never took any lessons, just learned my favourite songs by ear and went from there.

I started jamming with some guys for fun every once in a while a couple years ago now. Now we're getting ready to record our first EP and we'll start playing shows after that.

I play guitar (and by proxy, Bass). I've never had a teacher, and I know my way around the instrument, but I've been considering going in for formal lessons.

I'd also like to learn piano, but one mountain at a time.

Drums for roughly twenty years. Only instrument I've played seriously enough to be in a few bands. Bass (subbed briefly in a friend's band til he found a proper bassist), guitar, tenor sax, and just self-teaching myself banjo since this past winter.

Guitar player checking in, played for about 6 years I think. I can also play bass and piano (but not very well). I have two guitars, one is a homemade electric which I think is pretty sick.

Ive been on and off learning the guitar for years now, though still not very good. I know the chords well enough and can learn songs, but not quite there to put my creativity and imagination onto the instrument. Ive taken one on one lessons at Rufus' on Alma, and group lessons through the Vancouver School Board. Highly recommend the VSB lessons, you learn the fundamentals with a good teacher, while learning some fun and easy songs as it goes.

I play guitar, bass, drums, and a little piano. I'm in a band up north called Alister Stone; we're actually gaining some steam.

Started with guitar about 7 years ago, then joined the band last September to play bass for them and fell in love with it. It's definitely my calling. I picked up drumming around the same time, which has really improved my overall sense of music.

I hate to be "that guy," but our manager actually entered us in this contest. If we win we get to open at PeaceFest in July. Fefe Dobson and Sam Roberts are probably the two biggest names playing, out of the 8 or so other acts.

We're also planning on moving down to Vancouver this September too; which should be fun. It doesn't look like much from those videos now, but we've improved immensely over the last couple months. The guys came 4th at the Grizfest Battle of the Bands last year (it was their second show, long before I joined). We're expecting a much better result this year. ^_^

Funny, I remember making pretty much this exact thread on this forum a couple years ago; ended up getting buried, unfortunately. Hopefully this one does better! Talking to other musicians is always a great way to learn.

Again, I greatly appreciate any support anyone may give us! Every little thing counts for bands like us. I'll stop self-promoting now. :P

Funny, I remember making pretty much this exact thread on this forum a couple years ago; ended up getting buried, unfortunately. Hopefully this one does better! Talking to other musicians is always a great way to learn.

Play guitar (have two acoustics and three electrics), very little drums (have cheap set), and a bit of piano (my wife has a standup), and i'm an amateur vocalist. Never been in a band. Main focus is of course guitar, which lately has surpassed hockey as my main interest.

I play guitar (and by proxy, Bass). I've never had a teacher, and I know my way around the instrument, but I've been considering going in for formal lessons.

Plucked my first guitar 25 yrs ago (damn I'm old..), dabbled in a little bass, horrrible at drums!!

Been in many bands from Metal to Folk/Blues. Main squeeze is my Les Paul, Carvin Acoustic is a close second but I have a few project axes that are waiting for some TLC. Daddy business took over the majority of my time but still love to play and looking forward to nututre the 'music gene' in my children.

I have to agree with TOMapleLaughs that you can never stop learning new and better way to play whatever medium you choose.

I started taking lessons and after about 2 years my teacher moved so I went on my own path.

Reading about and watching other players is so informative as well as inspirational, lots of trick to learn but most important of all is Keep On Playin!

This is only my 2nd post... long time reader of the CDC forums and finally in honour of the 2013 Playoffs I decided to join.

I should be afraid like Yoda said should't I.... :lol:

I would recommend going in for a few, even if you already play really well.

I played guitar for around 10 years with no training and then started taking lessons last spring. While i could definitely play songs before the lessons, i have to say those lessons opened up a whole new world of creative possibilities. Also, it taught me various styles that i had previously ignored. ie. Less metal, more blues and jazz. (Although i'll never abandon metal. Meshuggah and Deftones are just too awesome.) I found that if i applied those newly-learned techniques, chords, modes and scales to what i already knew how to play, i could actually improve on the songs themselves. Makes playing along and jamming a lot more fun.

Drummer (drumset). But can play all percussion instruments..and can noodle on bass and piano.

In that old thread that Rozz mentioned, i spilled my credentials.

Played for over 30+ years...toured...minor celeb...blah blah blah. Many stories that would blow yr mind. ;):P:)

Semi retired from being in bands...starting to lean guitar.

started with violin and stopped when my teacher told me i sucked. played flute and piccolo for high school. i totally miss being in a band/orchestra. picked up a guitar a few years ago and tried that out.. life gets busy though, you know? singing is more my thing though.

started with violin and stopped when my teacher told me i sucked. played flute and piccolo for high school. i totally miss being in a band/orchestra. picked up a guitar a few years ago and tried that out.. life gets busy though, you know? singing is more my thing though.

Bass player here. Originally guitar player, but made the switch when myself and my band (Justice Against Monsters) realized we weren't Iron Maiden and couldn't have 3 guitar players. It's actually broadened my understanding of music quite a bit. Just finished recording a 3 song demo at Tractor Grease Studios in Chilliwack hope to do more soon.

Props to TO for switching around from Metal to Blues and Jazz to grow as a musician. I'll always be a metal fan at heart but me and my band play a more stoner type rock as its the sound that best suits all of our styles together. Almost Sheepdogs meets Monster Truck types of style

Archived