The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Oh yeah, I do curl my wrists inwards, does that really make that much of a difference?

well your bicep should be doing all the work. Your wrist should not be moving at all to be honest. Loosening your grip, as previously said, should help too.

Also are you using a barbell or dumbells? My buddy used to have this problem when curling with a barbell but it stopped when he switched to dumbells .

what's the best cardio based workout on youtube that any of you use?

what do you mean exactly? Cardio workout with weights or on a treadmill (or other cardio machine)?

Plyo-based and/or machine-based (either or). I've done some burst-workouts on the eliptical and tread mill lately, but I also do lots of sandbag/plyo combination type workouts

Anyone else doing leg day tomorrow?

If so, I feel your pain!

Yesterday was 'squat day' for me which is basically my leg day.  I always like getting the hardest and heaviest workout of the week out of way early.

I'm going to try a new approach to my squat training so I'll be strong enough, and my technique will be improved enough to give 405 a ride sometime in December.  Instead of doing my squatting and then doing assitancy stuff like leg pressing, hack squats, or single leg work, I'm going to squat, do a hamstring movement, and then squat again. The theory behind this is that to squat more, you simply have to squat MORE and nothing builds the squat like squatting. This could either work brilliantly or I'll be a cripple in 6 weeks.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Yesterday was 'squat day' for me which is basically my leg day.  I always like getting the hardest and heaviest workout of the week out of way early.

I'm going to try a new approach to my squat training so I'll be strong enough, and my technique will be improved enough to give 405 a ride sometime in December.  Instead of doing my squatting and then doing assitancy stuff like leg pressing, hack squats, or single leg work, I'm going to squat, do a hamstring movement, and then squat again. The theory behind this is that to squat more, you simply have to squat MORE and nothing builds the squat like squatting. This could either work brilliantly or I'll be a cripple in 6 weeks.

That's a lot of squats, even if you end up a cripple at least you'll have nice legs and ass!! Lol

Edited by Kent.S

Does anyone do/watch crossfit? I watched the women compete on TV today and it was awesome to see their awesome performances, not to mention most men would envy their physique let alone overall strength/anerobic capacity.

Alot of my works outs are similar since I'm not a body builder type, but seeing crossfit on TV is very motivating to achieve a high level of fitness. I don't think I'd ever do crossfit personally, maybe on a individual performance level with my girlfriend where we could work towards personal bests.

I should really start doing more pull up variations like they do.

Does anyone do/watch crossfit? I watched the women compete on TV today and it was awesome to see their awesome performances, not to mention most men would envy their physique let alone overall strength/anerobic capacity.

Alot of my works outs are similar since I'm not a body builder type, but seeing crossfit on TV is very motivating to achieve a high level of fitness. I don't think I'd ever do crossfit personally, maybe on a individual performance level with my girlfriend where we could work towards personal bests.

I do Crossfit. I would not recommend doing Crossfit on your own though. That's a good way to hurt yourself. Most of the athletes you watched take years to develop their techinique, flexibility, strength, etc...If you are interested find a good club around town to join. Word of caution, it is very expensive.

There are a ton of fools on youtube doing crossfit "workouts", like the "Fran", but with awful technique, and clearly in their garage, and not in a crossfit gym.

In a typical crossfit workout, we spend 40 minutes doing warmup and mobility and technique exercises. Then we do our "workout".

Edited by taxi

I personally think 'crossfit' is stupid, but that's because Glassman doesn't know jack about programming and claims anyone who uses science to program their training is practicing witchcraft....and doing crossfit gets you mediocre at doing crossfit, that's it....and the people you see competing in the games don't do 'crossfit' per Glassman's definition because they use periodization and focused strength training in their prep for the games.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I personally think 'crossfit' is stupid, but that's because Glassman doesn't know jack about programming and claims anyone who uses science to program their training is practicing witchcraft....and doing crossfit gets you mediocre at doing crossfit, that's it....and the people you see competing in the games don't do 'crossfit' per Glassman's definition because they use periodization and focused strength training in their prep for the games.

Crossfit focusses a lot on strengh training.

You don't see it in the "workout of the day", but you aren't supposed to strength train then. Like I said before the typical hour long crossfit workout is broken down into:

10-15 minute warm up

25-30 minutes of strength training and technique training

10-20 mintues for workout of the day

Since starting crossfit, my max deadlift has increased from 285lbs to 365lbs. My shoulder press is now 175 lbs, my clean and jerk is now 205 lbs, etc...I weigh 155 lbs. So yes, crossfit does make you strong.

As for the athletes, a couple of the high end in Canada work out of our gym. They do the crossfit workouts, but to compete, yes you do need to do additional workouts on your own. It's very competitive. The high end guys will train multiple times a day, just like any other high end sport.

Edited by taxi

Crossfit focusses a lot on strengh training.

You don't see it in the "workout of the day", but you aren't supposed to strength train then. Like I said before the typical hour long crossfit workout is broken down into:

10-15 minute warm up

25-30 minutes of strength training and technique training

10-20 mintues for workout of the day

Since starting crossfit, my max deadlift has increased from 285lbs to 365lbs. My shoulder press is now 175 lbs, my clean and jerk is now 205 lbs, etc...I weigh 155 lbs. So yes, crossfit does make you strong.

As for the athletes, a couple of the high end in Canada work out of our gym. They do the crossfit workouts, but to compete, yes you do need to do additional workouts on your own. It's very competitive. The high end guys will train multiple times a day, just like any other high end sport.

My point is, the WODs are not nearly as effective at making you 'fit' as Glassman claims. If all you did were the WODs off the main site, you'd stay skinny and weak because it's really just a fancy way of doing conditioning. Also, if you are doing dedicated strength work outside of the WOD, you aren't really doing 'Crossfit' IMO, you're strength training and using the WODs as conditioning.

My point is, the WODs are not nearly as effective at making you 'fit' as Glassman claims. If all you did were the WODs off the main site, you'd stay skinny and weak because it's really just a fancy way of doing conditioning. Also, if you are doing dedicated strength work outside of the WOD, you aren't really doing 'Crossfit' IMO, you're strength training and using the WODs as conditioning.

Crossfit at no point states that you should just do workouts of the day. When you join a crossfit gym, workouts of the day are used as a way to measure progress. They aren't meant to be the only workouts of the day. Crossfit gyms teach you other workouts based around stretching, strength, and technique training.

That is Crossfit. Just doing workouts of the day is not Crossfit.

Good luck. I hope you've done your research and have a decent base of training under your belt.

I've got a decent something under my belt.

I felt like such a druggie going into Shoppers to get measuring syringes.