The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Hey guys,

I'm 15 5'9, 135lbs. I'm pretty built but I'm just trying to put on 10-15lbs.

I go to the gym Monday-Friday and I eat fairly well, but I'm curious as to how many calories I should be taking in, and certain foods that I should target, and avoid eating.

EDIT:

I do intense cardio training on Monday/Friday for soccer so I'm looking for things to eat before and after that.

i doubt youre anywhere close to "built" at 135 pounds and 5'9. More of a skinny dude with low fat. You need to bulk up so find your caloric maintanance and eat above it. No one can tell you how many calories you should eat, it is different for everyone. Weigh yourself and eat (for example) 3000 calories a day for two weeks. Weigh yourself again and see if you inceased in weight, decreased or stayed the same. Adjust your calories if needed. Remember you only wanna gain 1 pound a week MAX to minimize fat gains, but you initially might gain a few extra pounds when you start.

Dont be afraid to lose your 6 pack if you have one, trust me get a 6 pack when you put on some muscle.

Another thing, check your weight when you wake up after taking a crap/piss.

Edited by canucks#01fan
  • Upvote 1

i doubt youre anywhere close to "built" at 135 pounds and 5'9. More of a skinny dude with low fat. You need to bulk up so find your caloric maintanance and eat above it. No one can tell you how many calories you should eat, it is different for everyone. Weigh yourself and eat (for example) 3000 calories a day for two weeks. Weigh yourself again and see if you inceased in weight, decreased or stayed the same. Adjust your calories if needed. Remember you only wanna gain 1 pound a week MAX to minimize fat gains, but you initially might gain a few extra pounds when you start.

Dont be afraid to lose your 6 pack if you have one, trust me get a 6 pack when you put on some muscle.

Another thing, check your weight when you wake up after taking a crap/piss.

Perfect thanks, and when I say built I'm fairly muscular considering I haven't filled out yet

Hey guys,

I'm 15 5'9, 135lbs. I'm pretty built but I'm just trying to put on 10-15lbs.

I go to the gym Monday-Friday and I eat fairly well, but I'm curious as to how many calories I should be taking in, and certain foods that I should target, and avoid eating.

EDIT:

I do intense cardio training on Monday/Friday for soccer so I'm looking for things to eat before and after that.

5'9 and 135?? You need to maintain your gains, you should at least be 170. Do a protein shake (mutant mass or w.e) after workout and before you sleep so your body is feasting on it while you sleep.

Also download a calorie calculator app so it tells you how much calories you should eat In a day for your target weight.

5'9 and 135?? You need to maintain your gains, you should at least be 170. Do a protein shake (mutant mass or w.e) after workout and before you sleep so your body is feasting on it while you sleep.

Also download a calorie calculator app so it tells you how much calories you should eat In a day for your target weight.

Before you sleep is not a very good option, you'd want to use your protein right after you lift.

Edited by Kent.S

Before you sleep is not a very good option, you'd want to use your protein right after you lift.

Actually, protein timing is irrelevant. Just make sure you get enough and you're good.

No, nutrient timing is vastly overrated. Overall consumption and having it spread out over several meals is far more important that getting your protein after you workout.

Somewhat true, but protein consumption post-workout along with carbohydrates has been found to increase protein synthesis in multiple studies. It won't be a drastic amount, but there is definitely an increase.

Somewhat true, but protein consumption post-workout along with carbohydrates has been found to increase protein synthesis in multiple studies. It won't be a drastic amount, but there is definitely an increase.

Yes this is true. My point is, worrying about your PWO shake instead of working hard in the gym and having a solid macronutrient breakdown in your nutrition is major in the minors so to speak. Most who lift, especially those new to it, would be far better of by focusing on the basics (working hard and a solid overall nutrition plan) before wankering over protein shakes this, pre-workouts that, etc.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Im with the philosophy that as long as you get all your macros and micros in from the time you wake up to the same you go to bed, you should be good.

I usually workout in the mornings so im hungry AF post workout. Most people would have a solid meal after they workout anyways.

Also with any study to do with protein synthesis and muscle growth, there's always studies that contradict them.

• Upvote 2

I need help!

So I am 5 foot 9 inches, ~200 pounds and I need to lose weight. My main issue is working out consistently, I don't believe in going to the gym just to lose weight as it is very much cardio related and moderate weight. However, I do exercises at home. But I always fall off. Consistency is my issue.

Is there an exercise or routine I could do at home that is effective in losing weight? Also, any nutrition tips? I enjoy meat, eggs, but I'm always stuck when I want to eat healthier at home. Any recommendations as to what I can make at home instead of eating out all the time?

Also, I don't want to go on a diet, I want to be able to keep the weight off, so that's why I am asking for an enjoyable routine, and healthy but filling dishes.

One more thing, every time I work out my muscles, they twitch throughout the day and it is every uncomfortable, any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

I need help!

So I am 5 foot 9 inches, ~200 pounds and I need to lose weight. My main issue is working out consistently, I don't believe in going to the gym just to lose weight as it is very much cardio related and moderate weight. However, I do exercises at home. But I always fall off. Consistency is my issue.

Is there an exercise or routine I could do at home that is effective in losing weight? Also, any nutrition tips? I enjoy meat, eggs, but I'm always stuck when I want to eat healthier at home. Any recommendations as to what I can make at home instead of eating out all the time?

Also, I don't want to go on a diet, I want to be able to keep the weight off, so that's why I am asking for an enjoyable routine, and healthy but filling dishes.

One more thing, every time I work out my muscles, they twitch throughout the day and it is every uncomfortable, any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

not an expert or a fan of home workouts but the ones i hear constantly are p90x and insanity.

For diet, just keep track of your calories. Find your maintenance level and eat below it, losing weight is that simple. you can eat whatever you want as long as your in a caloric deficit (including mcdonalds, ice cream, ect...).

Not sure about your twitching, might wanna get that checked out.

No, nutrient timing is vastly overrated. Overall consumption and having it spread out over several meals is far more important that getting your protein after you workout.

I've heard differently from other credible people. At least in regards to right after working out. Obviously spreading out meals should be done. But so should eating after the workout. You've probably gone two hours or longer since last eating so it would be appropriate to eat properly afterwards

I need help!

Thanks a ton!

It's very very very very difficult to lose weight by exercise alone. If you plan to lose weight and keep it off, you're going to have to make permanent adjustments to your diet. This doesn't have to be a crash diet, and subtle changes can make a big difference.

Basically, if you want to be a healthy weight, you're going to have to start eating healthier.

I need help!

Thanks a ton!

Download myfitnesspal app or use it online and track your calories! Very important!

As far as motivation, thats up to you, you have to be motivated or nothing will happen. Do you want to see change? Well you'll have to work for it. Along the way when you do see change, that will help motivate you.

Bodybuilding.com has a lot of workouts for various goals, check it out.

Edited by PlayStation