The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

It's been a month since I started going back to the gym again. I've been taking my home made weight gainer shake and working out hard and trying to fit everything in my macros as best as I can. I've noticed some nice overall gains. My main focus was proper form and getting out good reps instead of trying to lift as heavy as I can.

It's been a month since I started going back to the gym again. I've been taking my home made weight gainer shake and working out hard and trying to fit everything in my macros as best as I can. I've noticed some nice overall gains. My main focus was proper form and getting out good reps instead of trying to lift as heavy as I can.

This is what I did on my winter bulk last year.

Only ate about 200-300 calories over my TDEE and had some nice gains.

I would have days where I would go in and just focus on time under tension and week by week I would make sure I was slowly progressing with my weights. Then have workouts where I would try and blast PR's.

I've been so lazy recently...Can't wait to get back to the island where I only pay 100 bucks for the year for my gym membership and live a 3km walk from it!

I need help!

So I am 5 foot 9 inches, ~200 pounds and I need to lose weight. My main issue is working out consistently, I don't believe in going to the gym just to lose weight as it is very much cardio related and moderate weight. However, I do exercises at home. But I always fall off. Consistency is my issue.

Is there an exercise or routine I could do at home that is effective in losing weight? Also, any nutrition tips? I enjoy meat, eggs, but I'm always stuck when I want to eat healthier at home. Any recommendations as to what I can make at home instead of eating out all the time?

Also, I don't want to go on a diet, I want to be able to keep the weight off, so that's why I am asking for an enjoyable routine, and healthy but filling dishes.

One more thing, every time I work out my muscles, they twitch throughout the day and it is every uncomfortable, any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

Go on lots of long bike rides and buy a skipping rope for easy-to-do cardio. I like having a pair of 5/10ib weights sitting at home too because there are an infinite number of exercises to do with light dumbells. Eat avocados along with other healthy fats, and drink a lot of water. Some other stuff I find convenient to eat at home: canned tuna, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, cut up vegetables, bananas, grapefruits, nuts.

Easy stuff to incorporate into a busy lifestyle

Perfect thanks, and when I say built I'm fairly muscular considering I haven't filled out yet

Don't use that mindset if you wanna get bigger... especially if you think 5'9 135 is built....

Set a goal and don't be satisfied until you reach it.... just don't get stuck in the permanent bulking phase.

I put up 80 dumbells on my chest on incline.. it's not as high as some of you guys i bet but I'm sure as hell not slacking in the gym

How tall are you, what do you weight, and when was the last time you increased the weight of the dumbells you're incline pressing?

Read and listen to Alan Agaron and Layne Norton for the science and not the bro science.....been lifting for 20+ years and I still learn things every day.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/11/29/conversations-with-a-bro-animated-edition/

Read and listen to Alan Agaron and Layne Norton for the science and not the bro science.....been lifting for 20+ years and I still learn things every day.

http://www.wannabebi...-a-single-meal/

http://www.alanarago...imated-edition/

Alan Aaragon is okay, but he can't hold a candle to Layne Norton in terms of knowledge. Layne Norton's Vlog series on youtube is fantastic. He gives out so much fantastic information for free. His series about the metbolic damage and metabolic capacity is fantastic.