The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lmao I dunno. I think I hit my peak strength wise. That or I am not eating enough like before to continue to press the same weight consistently. 120s incline for weeks straight 5x5; then the other day struggled for a single set.

I've been getting back into the whole weights thing too. 

Alf lifting weights.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Took three weeks off the gym, in which time 90% of my diet consisted of McDouble’s, ice cream, and Little Caesar’s hot and ready pizzas. I lost 9 pounds. And people say losing weight is hard...

:bigblush:

Been in such a rhythm the last two months, I can’t fathom taking 3 days off, let alone 3 weeks!

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Been in such a rhythm the last two months, I can’t fathom taking 3 days off, let alone 3 weeks!

I was just really busy with coaching and school and organizing a fundraiser. Had some late nights at baseball, getting home in the wee hours of the night on Sundays after being away for the weekend. It definitely ruined the rhythm and I’m happier being back in it but it was kind of nice to be a fatty for a few weeks. That said, by the end of it I felt like crap. I can’t imagine how people do that all the time. 

It’s crazy how much I am being humbled by adding CrossFit in twice  week. 

The technique involved, especially with snatches, is still hard for me to grasp given the movement patterns ingrained in me for years of bodybuilding style lifting. 115 lbs snatch is like a 1 rep max for me which is super humbling considering a 5’3 girl with perfect technique snatched 200 beside me lol. 

But it it’s good to have goals to reach for again

• Upvote 2

My house is under full Reno inside.

last night before I swept up after the drywall boarders I carried my barefoot daughter up and down the stairs with a beer in my hand.

Strength and conditioning skills applicable to #dadlife.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

I've stuck to my running since being a bit slow at the SunRun. I'm doing 5k in 25mins then relaxing for another 15 mins or so. I will get a 10k under 50mins....one day.

I have also stuck to staying away from beer and replaced it with vodka soda with a splash'o cran.  I am looking lean and mean.

Still 2 days a week in the gym for strength training.

Still kicking and punching for fun.

I met a guy in my building that is a pro mma fighter ( though not very many fights yet) he's also a Jiu Jitsu coach at a local MMA gym. I've always wanted to do more grappling and I am excited that I might get off my duff and experience some high level teaching. I hope I follow through on that...I plan to move from the city in a few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I've stuck to my running since being a bit slow at the SunRun. I'm doing 5k in 25mins then relaxing for another 15 mins or so. I will get a 10k under 50mins....one day.

I have also stuck to staying away from beer and replaced it with vodka soda with a splash'o cran.  I am looking lean and mean.

Still 2 days a week in the gym for strength training.

Still kicking and punching for fun.

I met a guy in my building that is a pro mma fighter ( though not very many fights yet) he's also a Jiu Jitsu coach at a local MMA gym. I've always wanted to do more grappling and I am excited that I might get off my duff and experience some high level teaching. I hope I follow through on that...I plan to move from the city in a few months.

I would love to train JJ and kickboxing but I feel with my age and current nagging injuries I’d just hurt myself more.  It’s been something I’ve been considering for over a year but this year right from the hip has been bad - elbow is mangled, however it is healing slowly.

37 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I would love to train JJ and kickboxing but I feel with my age and current nagging injuries I’d just hurt myself more.  It’s been something I’ve been considering for over a year but this year right from the hip has been bad - elbow is mangled, however it is healing slowly.

I hear ya. I have a 'poppy' hip, I think from lots of kicking in my day. It does give me some issues now and again but I try to be patient with it. 

I'm getting on too, Just turned 45. Maybe kick boxing isn't for you but you never know.

Though you can start JJ at anytime. I know guy that started at 54, has been doing it for a couple years and even goes in tournys.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Took three weeks off the gym, in which time 90% of my diet consisted of McDouble’s, ice cream, and Little Caesar’s hot and ready pizzas. I lost 9 pounds. And people say losing weight is hard...

:bigblush:

I like that!  Was it a change for your body in which it didn't know what to do, so it burned it off, or did you eat that enticing food at certain parts of the day, giving your body an opportunity to burn it off?  What's the your secret?  I'd love to go to Mc'ds and Little Caesars! 

Biking everyday to and from work (13km and 40 min each way).  Freaking tired.  Feel it in my legs/thighs.  Too tired to do my regular weights/workout.  Hoping it gets better so I can get back at the gym.

4 hours ago, brilac said:

I like that!  Was it a change for your body in which it didn't know what to do, so it burned it off, or did you eat that enticing food at certain parts of the day, giving your body an opportunity to burn it off?  What's the your secret?  I'd love to go to Mc'ds and Little Caesars! 

I’d like to say I just have a freakish metabolism but in reality I just didn’t eat much other than that stuff. I imagine I was still in a caloric deficit despite eating so much crap. I just don’t have a very big appetite. 

• Upvote 1

I think the secret to losing weight is.....

Cut  back on carbs

Cut back on sugar

Replace wine with vodka

Only beer allowed is Guiness

Smart smoking but only when drunk

Listen to Electronica or Acid House instead of pop/country/jazz/rock

Do 10 pushups everytime you want to open the fridge ( put a 10 sign on the fridge door )

That is the diet that i have been on. Lost 20 pounds over the last 2 months...  and its SUPER fun......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cut  back on carbs

yep

Cut back on sugar

oh, heck yeah..very good suggestion

Replace wine with vodka

yes! just don't replace it ounce for ounce.

you are just hitting it out of the park, people are often surprised to find out Guinness is a low alc/cal beer.

never start smoking, we were doing so well so far...

oh darn, now you've really lost me...I'd rather listen to my washing machine with two shoes clunking around in it. 

Do 10 pushups everytime you want to open the fridge ( put a 10 sign on the fridge door )

aaand I'm back...great suggestion. This is called paying the toll. I do push ups and sit ups before every shower each morning.

...wait a minute, I was sure there was another element to your fitness guide? 

I'm gonna ask my wife later tonight if she can help me guess what it was.....:ph34r:

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

oh darn, now you've really lost me...I'd rather listen to my washing machine with two shoes clunking around in it. 

:lol: 

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think the secret to losing weight is.....

Cut  back on carbs

Cut back on sugar

Replace wine with vodka

Listen to Electronica or Acid House pop/country/jazz/rock

That is the diet that i have been on. Lost 20 pounds over the last 2 months...  and its SUPER fun......

FTFY 

Make sense as your brain cells will die and consequently your weight will reduce.

Edited by riffraff
  • Haha 1