The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Are any of the runners/endurance work out people in this group interested in a GPS tracking, wrist heart rate (infrared) smart watch and fitness watch?

I won a Garmin Forerunner 35 https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/552962

But I already have a smart watch so I'm looking to off load it for a low cost. Know a couple people in here could probably benefit from it. 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Are any of the runners/endurance work out people in this group interested in a GPS tracking, wrist heart rate (infrared) smart watch and fitness watch?

I won a Garmin Forerunner 35 https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/552962

But I already have a smart watch so I'm looking to off load it for a low cost. Know a couple people in here could probably benefit from it. 

I’ve been delaying this purchase for over a year.  I run solo so I would like a pace monitor.

from my research the Garmins are all good products.

i have been looking at the M430 and 200

https://www.polar.com/ca-en/products

42 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I’ve been delaying this purchase for over a year.  I run solo so I would like a pace monitor.

from my research the Garmins are all good products.

i have been looking at the M430 and 200

https://www.polar.com/ca-en/products

I used to use a polar m400 but got annoyed with the chest strap. I’ve since switched to a Garmin. This one I won at a raffle so I have no need for it. 

My birthday today, so I cheated on my diet/workout. Went out for Mexican food with the wife, brother, and my mom. Shared nachos, and my mom and I split Fajitas. Truth be told, I barely had any Fajitas and had 3 margaritas. Not a big drinker, so this really was a cheat day.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Monty said:

My birthday today, so I cheat on my diet/workout. Went out for Mexican food with the wife, brother, and my mom. Shared nachos, and my mom and I split Fajitas. Truth be told, I barely had any Fajitas and had 3 margaritas. Not a big drinker, so this really was a cheat day.

Happy birthday! All is forgiven ::D

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Shift-4 said:

I could never do IMF. I like food too much. And unlike you I REALLY like breakfast.

Curious to hear how it works for you though  :) 

So I started 12 days ago and my plan was to do 16/8 every second day.

The first day I did about a 17/7 by accident just because I was busier with work than expected. I found it really easy so I decided I'd do it again the very next day. The next day was easy as well so I decided I'd do 16/8 Mon-Fri and then take the weekends off... I ended up to a 16/8 or longer every single day up until last night where I binged a bunch of sugar until like midnight, so I'd have to go without eating until like 4pm if I wanted to keep the streak. Not sure that's going to happen. 

I think I found it easy because not eating for long periods of time felt somewhat natural to me so I just kind of leaned in to what my body has told me for 31 years. I ate the same amount of food and didn't change my weight... at least for the first week. I've been at my parents' place and they don't have a scale so I'm not sure if things changed. I've probably lost weight since I haven't been to a gym in 4 days. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Monty said:

My birthday today, so I cheated on my diet/workout. Went out for Mexican food with the wife, brother, and my mom. Shared nachos, and my mom and I split Fajitas. Truth be told, I barely had any Fajitas and had 3 margaritas. Not a big drinker, so this really was a cheat day.

Happy Birthday Monty.

Mine is today.  I plan to cheat all day like I did yesterday.::D

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I’m honestly blown away by how much one’s body can change in two months of working out. Weight training, as I’ve said before, is entirely new to me (for upper body). Actual muscle lines showing in my arms and shoulders, now. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:52 AM, Down by the River said:

The first day I did about a 17/7 by accident just because I was busier with work than expected. I found it really easy so I decided I'd do it again the very next day. The next day was easy as well so I decided I'd do 16/8 Mon-Fri and then take the weekends off... I ended up to a 16/8 or longer every single day up until last night where I binged a bunch of sugar until like midnight, so I'd have to go without eating until like 4pm if I wanted to keep the streak. Not sure that's going to happen. 

I think I found it easy because not eating for long periods of time felt somewhat natural to me so I just kind of leaned in to what my body has told me for 31 years. I ate the same amount of food and didn't change my weight... at least for the first week. I've been at my parents' place and they don't have a scale so I'm not sure if things changed. I've probably lost weight since I haven't been to a gym in 4 days. 

You keep at it

I will eat all those other hours on your behalf!  lol

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Monty said:

I’m honestly blown away by how much one’s body can change in two months of working out. Weight training, as I’ve said before, is entirely new to me (for upper body). Actual muscle lines showing in my arms and shoulders, now. 

I find it interesting how at different times I can just randomly notice stuff. This morning I noticed better size to my arms. Feels good. Especially given that I am naturally slim.  

On 5/26/2019 at 9:52 AM, Down by the River said:

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

You keep at it

I will eat all those other hours on your behalf!  lol

Seconded. Admire people that can do it.

With the combination of my epilepsy and working out, I can’t do intermittent fasting. Too dangerous for me.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

I find it interesting how at different times I can just randomly notice stuff. This morning I noticed better size to my arms. Feels good. Especially given that I am naturally slim.  

Absolutely. In the last week, I’ve noticed a big difference in my shoulders. Starting to round out, which is so encouraging to see. 

My whole life, I’ve struggled with body image, which is not as common for men as it is for women. Really had a hard time as a kid and teenager, even though I was active and athletic. Won’t go through my life story of the ups and downs (lots of downs) in regards to my weight and body image. So to be where I’m at now and see the changes, also adds an emotional response that I was hoping to avoid. It’s a positive response, but I feel a little ridiculous to be emotionally responsive to the change.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

My whole life, I’ve struggled with body image, which is not as common for men as it is for women. Really had a hard time as a kid and teenager, even though I was active and athletic. Won’t go through my life story of the ups and downs (lots of downs) in regards to my weight and body image. So to be where I’m at now and see the changes, also adds an emotional response that I was hoping to avoid. It’s a positive response, but I feel a little ridiculous to be emotionally responsive to the change.

I had excellent ab definition up until about the age of 23 (albeit on a light weight frame). I want that back!

But my journey there involves increasing muscle mass everywhere. For the last two years I have had big focus on getting stronger most of the time. More recently I am moving my goal from pure strength to feeling the burn in the muscles. Want to give the muscles more time under tension. Should be fun going after a new goal.

Plus I play on two hockey teams now. Hopefully that will help the abs come back  ::D 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Plus I play on two hockey teams now. Hopefully that will help the abs come back

I’m not at that point to pick up sports, again. Truthfully, not sure if I ever will. My new goal, aside from continuing to push myself at the gym, is to run a 10k and 15k race. I know I’ll be able to. In fact, I’m positive I could already do a 10k in the gym. But I’ve never run an actual “race” outside with other people as an adult. It seems like a grown up thing to do. So that’s my new goal :lol: 

Just now, Monty said:

I’m not at that point to pick up sports, again. Truthfully, not sure if I ever will. My new goal, aside from continuing to push myself at the gym, is to run a 10k and 15k race. I know I’ll be able to. In fact, I’m positive I could already do a 10k in the gym. But I’ve never run an actual “race” outside with other people as an adult. It seems like a grown up thing to do. So that’s my new goal :lol: 

Sounds like a great goal to me!  But for you, not for me  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, Monty said:

Enjoy it. Because it eventually evens out after a while and slows down drastically lol.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Did the Murphy this morning.

I think tomorrow will be a rest day lol.

Congrats!

Funny you should mention this right after Monty stated goals.

The Murph has been in the back of my mind as a goal. I think I will start with a non-weighted 1/4 Murph to see what I think of it. Just need to figure out when I can fit it in.