The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Nearing 3 months at the gym, now. Find the most difficult exercise, still, is lunges. I added 15 pound weights to each hand a little over a month ago, and it’s still kicking my ass. 

It's a fantastic exercise. Recently backed off on weight in my squats and deadlifts because of low back stiffness. Some good lunges were more than adequate to keep my legs aching!

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just to confirm...

I should focus on what the resting leg/knee is doing? Make that knee like a tool tapping the ground?

Yes. Instead of actively bending the front loaded knee, you should be actively letting the resting knee bend towards the ground, bringing the front knee with it naturally. And then when ascending up, you explode up on the front leg. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

Anyone have recommendations for supplements that are good for muscle growth and help definition?

A protein supplement would help. Myprotein and canadianprotein offer good products at a good price. 

Creatine is, I believe, the only supplement actually proven to boost performance in the gym. More recent studies are finding links between creatine and other health benefits as well. 

Fish oils will do you well. From what I’ve read multivitamins are a waste of time. Certain vitamins and minerals are way overdosed, others don’t absorb well in the presence of certain others (magnesium in the presence of calcium, for example) and end up just being excreted by the body. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

German, huh? Guessing one of the chapters has something to do with swearing unconditional obedience to the Third Reich.

Speaking of supplements and the Third Reich, these will turn your workouts into Blitzkriegs!

nssggiid3i211.jpg

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

A protein supplement would help. Myprotein and canadianprotein offer good products at a good price. 

Creatine is, I believe, the only supplement actually proven to boost performance in the gym. More recent studies are finding links between creatine and other health benefits as well. 

Fish oils will do you well. From what I’ve read multivitamins are a waste of time. Certain vitamins and minerals are way overdosed, others don’t absorb well in the presence of certain others (magnesium in the presence of calcium, for example) and end up just being excreted by the body. 

I think most nutritionists swear by multivitamin supplements. You can find anyone speaking out against anything though so do what you think will work for you. 

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I think most nutritionists swear by multivitamin supplements. You can find anyone speaking out against anything though so do what you think will work for you. 

I think some vitamins are dosed more effectively but any nutritionist I’ve ever read/talked to has said that a good diet will render a multi unnecessary. Anecdotally, I’ve never noticed any difference between taking or not taking a multi. 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Anyone have recommendations for supplements that are good for muscle growth and help definition?

If you're not a professional athlete look into SARMs. (Selective Androgen Receptive Modulators). Savage Line Labs Hardcore Series has Myo-s4 and myo-card that will do wonders for you. Clinically tested as well and the doses were proven effective. Also have heard a lot of anecdotal feedback from friends who swear by those 2. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think some vitamins are dosed more effectively but any nutritionist I’ve ever read/talked to has said that a good diet will render a multi unnecessary. Anecdotally, I’ve never noticed any difference between taking or not taking a multi. 

Likewise with creatine. I noticed jack $&!# taking it. A good diet could render MVs unnecessary. It can also be helpful on days where you just don't have the time to hit your nutritional targets. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

I am not.

If you want something a little cheaper you can use MuscleTech's Clear Muscle which is HMB based so it'll help improve strength and retain muscle, stack that with 2 weeks of dandelion root extract to remove excess water from the muscles and use Precision's Mega Dim to help metabolize bad estrogen in your body which will allow more free testosterone to be used. It'll have you looking dry and vascular.

Also don't use BCAA's, use EAA's instead. Much more clinical backing than BCAA's (almost none). 

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

As boring as this will sound, sufficient sleep, adequate hydration and a balanced diet that isn't fad based (ketogenic diets....geez) but that avoids excesses of refined sugars will help more than most anything you will spend your money/time on.   Most people don't drink enough water - in fact, try to ONLY drink water for a few months (and enough of it) cutting out any other form of beverages, have broth before any large meal and try to avoid eating after 6 PM or before 9 AM and you will notice a difference.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As boring as this will sound, sufficient sleep, adequate hydration and a balanced diet that isn't fad based (ketogenic diets....geez) but that avoids excesses of refined sugars will help more than most anything you will spend your money/time on.   Most people don't drink enough water - in fact, try to ONLY drink water for a few months (and enough of it) cutting out any other form of beverages, have broth before any large meal and try to avoid eating after 6 PM or before 9 AM and you will notice a difference.

For the most part over the last 3 months since I’ve been working out, I’ve done this.

Really only drink water, save for the occasional beer every 2-3 weeks. I have been avoiding added sugars, as well.

Eating after 6pm has been difficult, only because my wife and kid usually aren’t ready to eat until 6:30. But otherwise, I’m really good with this, already. 

• Upvote 1

I drink protein shakes and creatine right now.

I have also switched from beer to vodka soda and a mostly plant based diet ( beyond meat burgers are tasty!)

2x full body workouts per week, run 4x...bit of martial arts training, but not like I used to.

I've always worked out but I have not seen this kind of change in my body for a while......I'm almost ....'too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt , soo sexy it hurts'...:P

37 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Likewise with creatine. I noticed jack $&!# taking it. A good diet could render MVs unnecessary. It can also be helpful on days where you just don't have the time to hit your nutritional targets. 

I notice a bit of performance boost with creatine. There’s loads of research to support it but there are people that are non-responders. 

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

For the most part over the last 3 months since I’ve been working out, I’ve done this.

Really only drink water, save for the occasional beer every 2-3 weeks. I have been avoiding added sugars, as well.

Eating after 6pm has been difficult, only because my wife and kid usually aren’t ready to eat until 6:30. But otherwise, I’m really good with this, already. 

Well done.   It is difficult for many but well done in getting most of the way there.    Have you had bloodwork lately?   Check your HDL/LDL totals and ratio too and perhaps tweak your protein/carb ratio with doctor's input but don't cut out all carbs like I see some people doing.    I cannot believe some of the crap people are doing to themselves.

Final point on definition from own experience, push yourself once a week in terms of weight versus reps but no more than once a week (even once every 10 days).   Psych up for it and treat it as a chance to set your all-time values.   I have gotten over plateaus a number of times doing this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well done.   It is difficult for many but well done in getting most of the way there.    Have you had bloodwork lately?   Check your HDL/LDL totals and ratio too and perhaps tweak your protein/carb ratio with doctor's input but don't cut out all carbs like I see some people doing.    I cannot believe some of the crap people are doing to themselves.

Final point on definition from own experience, push yourself once a week in terms of weight versus reps but no more than once a week (even once every 10 days).   Psych up for it and treat it as a chance to set your all-time values.   I have gotten over plateaus a number of times doing this.

Haven’t had bloodwork, no.

Haven’t been cutting out carbs. Been smart with my eating.

• Upvote 1