The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I started introducing it about 4 months ago.

You'll see progress with progressive overload, no matter the age.

I have no idea how serious you are about working out.  If you're old enough you can probably TRT and your gains would sky rocket.

Just now, BoKnows said:

You'll see progress with progressive overload, no matter the age.

I have no idea how serious you are about working out.  If you're old enough you can probably TRT and your gains would sky rocket.

Workout with weights 4 days a week, cardio once. From March-February, I was doing circuit training, focusing more on overall fitness, less on strength. From March-Now, been focusing a lot more on strength.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Hasn’t paid dividends yet? How’re you implementing it?

I’m sure it has. I mean, I know my arms, shoulders, and chest are bigger than they were in February.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Workout with weights 4 days a week, cardio once. From March-February, I was doing circuit training, focusing more on overall fitness, less on strength. From March-Now, been focusing a lot more on strength.

If you're going overall fitness over strength what you're doing is fine.

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I just said that because I thought you mentioned you’d been stuck at a certain weight on DB press. 

DB Curls, yes (barbell press since January). However, I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I only started doing DB press in January. By the time I introduced progressive overload (March), gyms closed and I started working out from home.

Feel like, once personal trainers are allowed to meet with clients again, I need to meet with one to help give me some direction.

• Cheers 1

Found this routine I am gonna start soon.

D1 - chest, front/side delts, triceps

D2 - Upper back, rear delts, biceps

D3 - lower back, legs

D4 - Repeat D1

D5 - Repeat D2

D6 - Repeat D3

D7 - Rest

D1 - Bench press, incline bench press, rope pressdowns, overhead dumbbell extensions (single arm), dumbbell side laterals
D2 - Chin-ups, pull-ups, chest-supported rows (or seated rows), rear delt flyes, preacher curls
D3 - Romanian deadlifts, front squats, leg curls, leg extensions, standing calf raises, seated calf raises

Do 50 reps each exercise. Pick weight that's my 10 rep max. Have 30 sec rest. Don't stop till I have hit 50 reps.

example

Set 1 = 10 reps

30 second break

Set 2 = 6 reps

30 second break

Set 3 = 4 reps

30 second break

Set 4 = 4 reps

etc 

Keep going till I hit 50 reps.

This is essentially the routine I found but I will probably make some changes to it to fit what I like to do personally. It seems very high volume but I am gonna have faith in the routine.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

D3 - lower back, legs

D4 - Repeat D1

D5 - Repeat D2

D6 - Repeat D3

D7 - Rest

D1 - Bench press, incline bench press, rope pressdowns, overhead dumbbell extensions (single arm), dumbbell side laterals
D2 - Chin-ups, pull-ups, chest-supported rows (or seated rows), rear delt flyes, preacher curls
D3 - Romanian deadlifts, front squats, leg curls, leg extensions, standing calf raises, seated calf raises

Do 50 reps each exercise. Pick weight that's my 10 rep max. Have 30 sec rest. Don't stop till I have hit 50 reps.

example

Set 1 = 10 reps

30 second break

Set 2 = 6 reps

30 second break

Set 3 = 4 reps

30 second break

Set 4 = 4 reps

etc 

This is essentially the routine I found but I will probably make some changes to it to fit what I like to do personally. It seems very high volume but I am gonna have faith in the routine.

Wow, this is awesome.

The high volume is probably going to get you to burn off some excess fat.  

On 6/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

D3 - lower back, legs

D4 - Repeat D1

D5 - Repeat D2

D6 - Repeat D3

D7 - Rest

example

Set 1 = 10 reps

30 second break

Set 2 = 6 reps

30 second break

Set 3 = 4 reps

30 second break

Set 4 = 4 reps

etc 

50 reps is going to take a long time for each exercise. You're planning on doing 5 exercises a day, including things like bench press to 50 and then incline press to 50? 50 chinups? Then 50 pull ups? That's almost the same exercise. The main muscle group worked is your back in both exercises. You'll have no recovery. Doing 100 strict pull ups/chin ups in a row is not an easy task, and with only 30 seconds recovery, you're going to be missing reps by the time you get to 50+.

There's also a huge injury risk here. You're going to be at failure by the time you get to 30 reps with some of these exercises, and you're going to lose technique and be pushing out sloppy 1 rep sets for 10+ sets in a row. You are not going to be able to maintain 4 reps in a row, if you start at your 10 rep max.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this workout, but it seems both impossible and a great way to injure yourself. 10 rep max is way too high of a weight to get to 50 with that little rest.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, BoKnows said:

I'd keep doing that weight until you're comfortable doing 5-8 reps then try 225.

Maybe your squat can look something like this

Bar - Warmup

135 x 12 - 1 set

165 x 10 - 2 sets

205 x 3/5 - 3 sets

135 x max reps

So today was the first day I tried this. Went “ok”. In the second set of 165lbs, was only to bang out 6 reps x 2. Didn’t start out hot, as I nearly injured myself in the first set of 135. Rebounded, but was not confident afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

So today was the first day I tried this. Went “ok”. In the second set of 165lbs, was only to bang out 6 reps x 2. Didn’t start out hot, as I nearly injured myself in the first set of 135. Rebounded, but was not confident afterwards.

Hmm.  Definitely want to be careful when squatting, it's really easy to injure yourself.  Maybe today was just one of those off days?

3 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Hmm.  Definitely want to be careful when squatting, it's really easy to injure yourself.  Maybe today was just one of those off days?

Tough to say. It was my first exercise of the day. Perhaps I didn’t stretch enough, my meal was off as I didn’t have my “usual”. I’ve become a creature of habit with my workouts with my preparations, particularly with my meals. And that could have thrown me off and got in my head.

Edited by Monty

3 hours ago, taxi said:

50 reps is going to take a long time for each exercise. You're planning on doing 5 exercises a day, including things like bench press to 50 and then incline press to 50? 50 chinups? Then 50 pull ups? That's almost the same exercise. The main muscle group worked is your back in both exercises. You'll have no recovery. Doing 100 strict pull ups/chin ups in a row is not an easy task, and with only 30 seconds recovery, you're going to be missing reps by the time you get to 50+.

There's also a huge injury risk here. You're going to be at failure by the time you get to 30 reps with some of these exercises, and you're going to lose technique and be pushing out sloppy 1 rep sets for 10+ sets in a row. You are not going to be able to maintain 4 reps in a row, if you start at your 10 rep max.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this workout, but it seems both impossible and a great way to injure yourself. 10 rep max is way too high of a weight to get to 50 with that little rest.

Not entirely with chin ups and pulls. It's a overhand/underhand and wide/short grip difference. At least that's how I do mine, put more of a focus on biceps with my chin ups. I feel like the lack of a shoulder press in the routine makes doing 80-100 reps of incline/regular bench press twice a week doable.

I was also thinking of starting at 40 reps per first to get used to the volume. And looking at it face value idk if I need to work my triceps that much day 1. Also I want to include barbell rows and tune it up a bit differently.

This is the full program

D1 - Chest, front/side delts, triceps
D3 - Legs, lower back
D4 - Repeat D1
D5 - Repeat D2
D6 - Repeat D3
D7 - Rest

For each exercise pick a weight that you can lift for a maximum of 10 reps (15 for standing calf raises, 20 for seated calf raises). You need to complete 50 (75 for standing calf raises, 100 for seated calf raises) total reps of each exercise. You perform your first set of each exercise as normal but you only rest for 30 seconds between each set (if you can even call them proper sets). You perform as many sets as it takes until you complete your 50 total reps. Obviously you won't be able to complete 10 reps in each set but it doesn't matter, this is how it's supposed to be. Perform as many reps as you can after each 30 second rest period (try to stop 1 rep short of failure, if you'll fail to perform 6 reps you should stop after rep 5). An example below.

Set 1 = 10 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 2 = 5 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 3 = 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 4 = 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds
Set 5 = 3 reps

You've complete 24 reps so far, keep going until you've completed 50. This is just an example, the number of reps you get in reality may be different but the principle remains the same. Have a longer rest between different exercises so that you're not too fatigued from the previous exercise. Once you notice that a particular exercise is starting to feel easy (you're getting more reps in general) you need to add some more weight the next time you perform that exercise.

You're going to need to use a training journal or some other method of tracking your progress, you need to record the amount of weight you use for each exercise and as soon as you notice a particular exercise starting to get easy you need to make a note so that you remind yourself to add more weight on that exercise next workout.

You may feel absolutely terrible at first because this is likely going to be a drastic increase over your usual training volume but this will pass, you need to have some faith in the routine, in the long term it will more than compensate you for your hard work and perseverance.

I should also add that it's a good idea to increase your carbohydrate intake while performing this routine, it's quite demanding on your glycogen stores. Don't just add any carbohydrate, sugars aren't very effective at replenishing muscle glycogen because only 50% of sugar can be used to replenish muscle glycogen, the other 50% can only replenish liver glycogen (and then get converted to fat when the liver's glycogen stores are full). You need complex carbohydrates for this purpose, I suggest white rice or pasta. I would suggest adding 1 full cup (uncooked) of white rice to your diet each day and I suggest that you should eat half of it before your workout and the other half after your workout, if this isn't possible I suggest you simply eat the full amount after your workout.

If there are any questions I'll do my best to answer them. If you decide to give this routine a try feel free to report back to this thread as you go along and let me know how you're going or to ask for advice if there are any issues.

It's an old one but it got a lot of good reviews from people on the forums.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146471313

23 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not entirely with chin ups and pulls. It's a overhand/underhand and wide/short grip difference. At least that's how I do mine, put more of a focus on biceps with my chin ups. I feel like the lack of a shoulder press in the routine makes doing 80-100 reps of incline/regular bench press twice a week doable.

I was also thinking of starting at 40 reps per first to get used to the volume. And looking at it face value idk if I need to work my triceps that much day 1. Also I want to include barbell rows and tune it up a bit differently.

This is the full program

It's an old one but it got a lot of good reviews from people on the forums.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146471313

I'd be wary of the more extreme workouts posted on BB.com. A lot of people on that forum are using PEDs. It looks like the poster who posted that routine has also been banned from the site. That site, overall, is known for some pretty toxic bro content. I would take everything on there with a grain of salt.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, taxi said:

I'd be wary of the more extreme workouts posted on BB.com. A lot of people on that forum are using PEDs. It looks like the poster who posted that routine has also been banned from the site. That site, overall, is known for some pretty toxic bro content. I would take everything on there with a grain of salt.

I went on BB a while ago looking for a new routine and every video I found was by a guy taking a decent stack of PEDs.  No judgement but if it were up to me I'd take beer with the guys over PEDs any day of the week.  Getting back on track, many of their routines seemed extreme without the help of some Test, Anavar, and Dbol or Tbol.

17 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I went on BB a while ago looking for a new routine and every video I found was by a guy taking a decent stack of PEDs.  No judgement but if it were up to me I'd take beer with the guys over PEDs any day of the week.  Getting back on track, many of their routines seemed extreme without the help of some Test, Anavar, and Dbol or Tbol.

The volume a person can handle on gear is significantly greater than the volume a person can handle without gear. 

Imo the smartest move is finding the least amount of volume that will illicit a growth response in the person and go from there. You can always add volume when you plateau but if you start out with a ton of volume that becomes tough to do. Kind of like trying to lose weight and immediately cutting down to 1500 calories from 3500. It’ll work for a while but eventually it won’t, and then you’re hard up for options. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, taxi said:

Of course. Everywhere has it's flamers. I don't think that means I should turn a blind eye to everything BB posters post. Yeah the guy looks banned his routine has 300+ pages worth of responses though spanning over 6 years. It's all people asking questions in regards and sharing their own experience with the routine.

That gives me insight of what changes could be made in order to make it work. So I am gonna air on the side of caution and gain more perspective before seriously committing. More knowledge the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Gym has been going really well. Started focusing a lot more on my core the last 2 weeks, and that’s finally at a place where it’s fun and something I’m actually looking forward to at the end of my workouts. Diet has improved dramatically, as well.

C01F49E4-D0CB-4304-AF00-DC6AC5220BD5.gif.162a62a72a31ef3a4d67c9c51f17e59b.gif

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1