The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Anyone have a good 4 or 5 day a week workout to shed fat and/or lean out? I had a consult with a new personal trainer on Friday, which was great. However, the cost going forward is astronomincal (3, 6, or 12 month contract). And considering we can never meet in person (all over Zoom), doesn't seem worth it; especially considering my job isn't to look good or keep fit (ie: athlete, etc). Need to lower body fat percentage. I'm in the "acceptable" range for body fat, but would like to shed 6-7%. I know it all starts in the kitchen, which I'm already commited to, now. However, not sure what's a good routine to begin doing for the next 1-2 months.

Edited by Monty

39 minutes ago, Monty said:

Anyone have a good 4 or 5 day a week workout to shed fat and/or lean out? I had a consult with a new personal trainer on Friday, which was great. However, the cost going forward is astronomincal (3, 6, or 12 month contract). And considering we can never meet in person (all over Zoom), doesn't seem worth it; especially considering my job isn't to look good or keep fit (ie: athlete, etc). Need to lower body fat percentage. I'm in the "acceptable" range for body fat, but would like to shed 6-7%. I know it all starts in the kitchen, which I'm already commited to, now. However, not sure what's a good routine to begin doing for the next 1-2 months.

Considering it is the summer time I would find some daily outdoor activities that can be a real cardio workout in the heat then follow that up by building lean muscle in the gym 4-5x per week as you noted. that is my current strategy and my quarantine beer belly has all but disappeared from a few 50km bike rides and getting back to the basics in my complex' gym with crunches, dumbbell exercises like chest/shoulder press, rows, deadlifts, and goblet squats amongst others. I have also been putting a focus on body weight core workouts, balancing, and stretching as part of a full body routine. I hope to get in some good hikes, kayaking, and swimming too this summer.

I probably didn't answer your question but I found this interesting article if you are into cycling on how to optimize fat loss. designing a custom work out plan really depends on the equipment and space one has available to use.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20043156/4-ways-to-burn-more-fat-while-you-ride/ 

.“The science is not 100-percent black and white. But how you time your nutrition and plan your training intensity can promote fat burning, as well as ultimately improve your performance,” he says.

• Cheers 1

My strata gym recently re-opened and we have been updating some old equipment so its nice to get in there. only a few people allowed at a time so plenty of space which is really a luxury since people are too lazy to sign up its usually a private gym.

Our latest purchase is this, does anyone use belt squats regularly ?  I was skeptical but it feels pretty good so far it really activates the hips and the risk of back trouble seems low.

https://www.keiser.com/fitness-equipment/strength-training/air300-belt-squat

image.png.8ae4101eb1e735dbf5d4425d06ff46f0.png

53 minutes ago, Monty said:

Switching up my routine every 4 weeks, now. Introduced this exercise this week. I now realize just how neglected my core was these past 16 months. Wait, I mean 38 years.

45379F17-02F7-4CBA-81B5-B933B29CDA61.jpeg.6a1f8dad3a38d8706f007c18d9a469f4.jpeg

Nice that is a great shoulder workout too

I just use a cheapo ab wheel at home, here's a good video with tips to maximize core usage. I had a bad habit of compensating with my back / hip flexors. need to round it. skip to 1:30

oops can't go wrong with some Jeff Cavalier tips too

Edited by Chicken.
  • Thanks 1

@Monty @Chicken. bodysaws are great too. Sort of the opposite of a rollout- put your feet on a pair of sliders or paper towel while in a plank position and push to slide your feet back as far as you can maintain spinal position. 

They gave me probably the most intense ab DOMS I’ve ever experienced, aside from maybe my first time doing heavier front squats. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

@Monty @Chicken. bodysaws are great too. Sort of the opposite of a rollout- put your feet on a pair of sliders or paper towel while in a plank position and push to slide your feet back as far as you can maintain spinal position. 

They gave me probably the most intense ab DOMS I’ve ever experienced, aside from maybe my first time doing heavier front squats. 

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear "most intense DOMS ever", I tend to NOT want to try that exercise anymore. 

On 7/20/2020 at 7:00 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gym session first time in four months. It felt like it too. My lifts sucked. Home workouts cannot replicate much of what the gym offers. 

I went back last week for the first time since November, felt good but flipping sore after and my strength is bad now.

• Cheers 1

Looking at the scale is a tough thing for me. When I started working out last year March, I was 193. Went down to 173 by July last year, and now I’m up to 187. However, I know I’m in far better shape and most of that gain from 173 to 187 is muscle. But it’s still difficult at time’s to wrap my head around.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Looking at the scale is a tough thing for me. When I started working out last year March, I was 193. Went down to 173 by July last year, and now I’m up to 187. However, I know I’m in far better shape and most of that gain from 173 to 187 is muscle. But it’s still difficult at time’s to wrap my head around.

Throw the scale away and just look at your handsome self in the mirror. If you feel good and like the way you look then no worries.

I'd like to do the same but I could include throwing the mirror away too. I've slipped. For the first time in many years I stopped running and working out during this covid.

I just broke 200lbs. Look kinda tough and beefy but it's not a good beefy. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Throw the scale away and just look at your handsome self in the mirror.

Throwing the scale away, or not paying attention to it, is a lifelong thing I’ll have to overcome. But I will say I am getting a lot better at not caring what the scale says, especially considering I work out 5 days a week. I know that I’ll be heavier at times depending on what I eat and how I workout, but I can also weigh less and that could also be a bad thing, as that could be a result of me not working out as much (hopefully that doesn’t happen anytime soon) which would result in muscle loss.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Throwing the scale away, or not paying attention to it, is a lifelong thing I’ll have to overcome. But I will say I am getting a lot better at not caring what the scale says, especially considering I work out 5 days a week. I know that I’ll be heavier at times depending on what I eat and how I workout, but I can also weigh less and that could also be a bad thing, as that could be a result of me not working out as much (hopefully that doesn’t happen anytime soon) which would result in muscle loss.

One fav sayings is ' the distance between reality and expectation is disappointment' 

I moved to the island and expected to start bjj but covid hit. Disappointed. I had lots of projects to do around the house and focused on them. I didn't realise how much I would miss the convenience of my old gym, or that my routine would slip away so easily. Due to my old job I ended up with a garage half filled with booze...most of it has been consumed now. I've gained 20lbs in about 6months. 

I have addressed my disappointment and got my new bench set up a couple days ago. Tread mill has been set up in the den. Soon, I'll hang the heavy bag in the garage. I know I'm getting the itch to push again...I have to, I don't feel like myself.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Really hoping someone can tell me that it doesn’t matter if you eat whole eggs instead of egg whites. Really want to avoid going the egg white route.

Depends on what your goals are.  

Whole eggs (in moderation) are not bad for you.  In some studies its actually been shown that the yolk might actually help the absorption of the nutrients of the entire egg; the vitamins, the minerals, the fats, etc...same is said about whole milk as well.  And the more we learn about cholesterol, the more we learn its not as bad the reputation would indicate. But there still are the calories. There's no getting around whole eggs are densely caloric, 70-80 calories an egg.  So if you're trying to cut weight, whole eggs can add up quick and not even fill you up.

Egg whites plain suck, but for how much protein they bring and for as little calories, its wise to find ways to make use of them.  I recommend you Youtube "Remington James anabolic recipes" as well as Greg Doucette anabolic recipes.  Alot of usage of egg whites and pumpkin and protein powder.  You won't be disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

Less than 600 calories. 66g of protein, 72g of carbs, 3g of fat, 3g of sugar.  Made mostly of pumpkin, egg whites, coconut flour, protein powder, unsweetened cocoa, and unsweetened applesauce. The icing is Greek yogurt and protein powder with various extracts.  Delicious and filling. And guilt free!

20200712_134254.jpg

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Depends on what your goals are.  

Whole eggs (in moderation) are not bad for you.  In some studies its actually been shown that the yolk might actually help the absorption of the nutrients of the entire egg; the vitamins, the minerals, the fats, etc...same is said about whole milk as well.  And the more we learn about cholesterol, the more we learn its not as bad the reputation would indicate. But there still are the calories. There's no getting around whole eggs are densely caloric, 70-80 calories an egg.  So if you're trying to cut weight, whole eggs can add up quick and not even fill you up.

Egg whites plain suck, but for how much protein they bring and for as little calories, its wise to find ways to make use of them.  I recommend you Youtube "Remington James anabolic recipes" as well as Greg Doucette anabolic recipes.  Alot of usage of egg whites and pumpkin and protein powder.  You won't be disappointed. 

Thanks! I’ll look into it. I had 3 egg whites today, and nearly puked. And I love eggs. That was rough.

• Cheers 1

The goal this summer was to add some muscle but instead I'm losing weight, lol!

My "issue" is that I'm outside hiking or walking or running all day, in addition to my F45 workouts so I'm burning a crapload of calories. Ah well.. I should be down to around 14% body fat by the end of the summer and then when I go back to work in the fall I'll look at adding mass then. I'm not outside nearly as much in the winter.